Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 03-11-2022, 07:43 PM   #1
Life-in-Him

Inspection

Lots of threads have comments recommending newbees & others have rigs inspected by 'professionals'
1. Where do we find/contact these folks?
2. How can any newbees be made aware of these services & the need for it before joining forums? They are usually blind to the need to have it done until it's too late, & only the "in crowd" are aware ahead of time.
Life-in-Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 08:04 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

I think most first time RV buyers are blind to the "real life" things involved in the ownership of an RV....any RV. IF, and that's a big if, they were lucky enough to have the opportunity to talk to another RV owner to hear/learn of some of the "special" concerns an owner should have with a new RV it would be great - but that just doesn't happen. Most, like me and most I know, wanted an RV; had very little knowledge of weights as they relate to towing an RV (I pulled farm stuff and flat trailers); loved the idea of an RV then bought it. From that point it was learning by fits and starts - no one helping and certainly no internet. I just did that; learn by failure, things not working, always having to lower expectations. But...we wanted an RV and love using ours. So...

Who are the folks that do inspections? You can ask or use the internet. There are folks that provide those services. I've always done my own and never hired someone. Like home inspectors you need to vet them as many don't know what they are doing. Check the checker.

The "in crowd" are those like myself that spent decades with nothing more than do, fail, what went wrong, repeat until you figure out what's going on. Then in the modern day you find internet which I drug my feet on for quite some time. Then, you find a forum like this and so many helpful folks that have so much knowledge. No flashing sign pointing the way, no secret handshake or insider "stuff" to know. Like most things in life it's just a lesson of hard knocks and accumulating knowledge. I wish you well.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 04:05 AM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

I think a lot of the issue goes back to the "newbie" misconception that "it's new, it has wheels, so it's like a new car". WRONG! Typically it's the bank that requires some sort of "inspection" or certification for large loan items like used houses, larger boats, etc. For lower cost used trailers the cost risk I guess doesn't warrant the requirenment.

With the thinking that it's like buying a car it would be a difficult market to crack. Who would pay hungreds of dollars for an independent inspection on a new, warranted trailer? And how many people take a used vehichle to their mechanic for a look over? Unfortunately we can't fix the world.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 04:58 AM   #4
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life-in-Him View Post
Lots of threads have comments recommending newbees & others have rigs inspected by 'professionals'
1. Where do we find/contact these folks?
2. How can any newbees be made aware of these services & the need for it before joining forums? They are usually blind to the need to have it done until it's too late, & only the "in crowd" are aware ahead of time.
National RV Inspectors Association

You can use the search feature through the link above to find a certified inspector in a given area. Unfortunately, as stated, many (myself included) find out the hard way that buying an RV is not like other vehicle purchases. Unless you do your own due diligence beforehand, the new buyer is unlikely to be aware of the special considerations in owning/maintaining/towing an RV.....the salesman sure isn't likely to be very helpful in that regard.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 05:14 AM   #5
jxnbbl

We got into this due to covid and don't know a friend or family member that owns any type of trailer. We however are DIYs that basically have GC'd the building of 2 houses and enhanced/renovated/repaired most household systems. Here are two words of advise - make a list of everything about your trailer features that made you select it, take your time and have them explain how everything works and have them demo it. Expect that if the trailer goes back to the dealer for repair - pick/choose what those items are and "batch them" into one trip. The trailer may be there for a while and you don't have it for enjoyment. Although I like our dealer I have missed two items since I didn't ask them to be demo'd/"show me": 1. the black tank flush never worked on our first trailer, even after a "warrantee repair". 2. I rely on internet and wanted to install a wingard - a simple show me the wires under 'wire cap'. This is in addition to make a list of every thing not found correct. One trailer we picked up the same as inspection day. The second time around I had a list of everything to be fixed/adjusted and went back for a reinspection from the punch list. Open every draw/door, inspect walls for cracks/holes... take an electrical tester and test every outlet, make sure the fridge is cold (they would have had to start it hours earlier...maybe request that they do energize the unit the day before). Run the furnace, oven, every burner.....etc. Get a ladder and actually go to the roof and look at the sealing around components. Disconnect shoreline power and test basically 12 volt component again.
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 08:21 AM   #6
travelin texans

This is a tough market for newbies as a good many of the rv salespeople are either also new, uninformed, dishonest or just don't care as long as they get your money. It's nothing like buying a new, or used, vehicle.
There are so many systems that need to be checked out, different power sources that you need to be familiarized with & the appropriate tow vehicle is also a huge concern depending on length & weight of the chosen rv. Regardless of what the salesperson says you may not be able to tow anything on their lot.
If your somewhat of a handyman, have tools, physically able to do most anything then you can be like most of us that have been rving for 40+ years & fix what breaks & there will always be something to fix. If not & you must rely on the dealer to repair stuff then be prepared to drive by that dealership often to see your rv sitting out back waiting it's turn.
Not trying to dampen your enthusiasm of rv ownership, just giving you some facts to think about from my own experiences over the years.
The rv lifestyle is great fun, will create great memories, some you'd like to forget, will meet great folks along the way, but can be a challenge at times.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 10:42 AM   #7
Life-in-Him

As I inferred originally how can "we" inform those starting out with just a dream (or even a new rig) about a new "get started this way" concept?
As several others have said. We had no reality to underpin our "get going, now".
It's kind of like folk buying a cabin in the mountains: they are shocked when they wake up to our 13' of snow.
Dreams seldom come with an instruction book showing where the septic tank is & how much shoveling is needed to to open a path for the pumper to park & drag the hose down the hill & back so you can flush. And the black tank valve works like this...
Old 03-12-2022, 10:52 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life-in-Him View Post
As I inferred originally how can "we" inform those starting out with just a dream (or even a new rig) about a new "get started this way" concept?
As several others have said. We had no reality to underpin our "get going, now".
It's kind of like folk buying a cabin in the mountains: they are shocked when they wake up to our 13' of snow.
Dreams seldom come with an instruction book showing where the septic tank is & how much shoveling is needed to to open a path for the pumper to park & drag the hose down the hill & back so you can flush. And the black tank valve works like this...
90% of the new members of this forum start their first post with, "We just bought a new..." or "We just signed for a new..." or "We bought a slightly used..." For those "new forum members, it's already too late...

For the other 10%, I don't know how you "warn them about the dangers of believing an RV salesman"....

Sort of reminds me of all those days of chasing my toddlers around the kitchen yelling, "Don't touch that, it's hot"..... I don't know the answer to preventing a 2 year old from touching the hot oven door nor how to "save the 10% from themselves"...... Without getting political, maybe if the schools were teaching kids how to balance a checkbook and how to write cursive..... Nah, they'd have to make "shop and homemaking" mandatory classes......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 02:08 PM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

The "missing lesson" is common sense IMO. Add to that giving a child anything they scream for to shut them up and well .... I'll just stop there.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 11:02 AM   #10
Life-in-Him

I guess it's the "don't walk on day old ice" problem. Until one falls through & finds no bottom &.cold cold water they can't cry help me.
Unfortunately, we dumb country boys try to put up a sigh or 2 to help others before they tread on the ice like we did. Hopefully others don't bring fire starter & wood to build a fire on 1/16“ ice.
Old 03-27-2022, 07:18 AM   #11
Camp CA

Good idea to have your rv inspected, all the specifications documented and everything functionality tested. One place to find an RV inspector here https://nrvia.org/locate/
Old 03-27-2022, 08:15 AM   #12
dutchmensport

I've been using RV and Camping forums for 20 years now and there is a repeat pattern that happens with first time RV owners. And that is, they are right and no one can tell them anything different. They have to learn their faulty decisions on their own, and that is usually when they start having problems with their tow vehicle.

Just try to tell a "prospective" buyer that their brand new Ford F-150 absolutely will not handle a 14,000 pound fifth wheel and watch them go ballistic on you. Even with all the warnings, very few actually take the warnings, because after all .... they are right! There's something about the male ego that refuses to admit they might be wrong! Even when it's proved they are! Most people, especially newbies at anything, are really bull headed. The only way they learn is by their own failures.

So, even if all the best "information" "out there" was in public domain land, I doubt too many would actually follow it. Most people just don't accept being told "No! You can't do that!" They turn around and do it anyway.

About inspectors? Get knowledgeable about RV's and RV ownership yourself. Visit many, many dealerships. Look at different models and floor plans, and brands. Read different RV forums and take note of the most common problems that happen.

A good starting place is right here. Click on the RV Life Pro logo above and scroll down on the RV Life Pro home page. Scroll down to the "Learn More" link under RV Life Communities. A list of different forum sites will come up. Start reading through them. After a while, you'll see common problems to all RV's. You'll see common problems with under rated tow vehicles. You'll see common problems with RV dealership warranties. This is the best starting place to begin to educate yourself. Meanwhile, visit those RV dealerships and start examining the different RV units with a very critical eye. Crawl under them, on top of them, and open cabinets, look under the bed, look for the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Another thing, on a new camper, everything may look perfect and pristine at the dealership. Problems only arise when the camper is in motion, things break, fall apart, crumble, and shake loose. These things will NEVER bee seen if the camper sits stationary. And there is nothing you can do spot it either, until you actually tow or drive it yourself after some time. It's just the nature of the beast.

Inspectors are as varied as the design of snowflakes. There is no "standard" among them. Each one has put a shingle on his door and put a web site out there. They may be RVIA certified, and they may be someone who has never seen an RV before in their lives. You just don't know. There is no standard criteria for this type of service. But, they will gladly take your money. That is why educating yourself and doing your own inspection is by far the best way to go.

Here's a link to get you started. Do the download and begin learning this stuff yourself. Click here.
Old 03-27-2022, 09:24 AM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

^^^ Good post !!!!!

Hiring an RV inspector is a lot like hiring an automobile mechanic...

We all know people who will tell you that a certain mechanic is "super good" and another "doesn't know anything and can fix even less"....

We've all got friends who will swear that the dealership is the only place to get your truck fixed and other friends who will tell you that the dealership never fixes anything....

So, why would RV's be any different and why would RV inspectors or RV repairmen be any different?????

As for RV owners, well, they're all "human and subject to human emotion"...

Take a new owner, proud of his new Fuzion 44' toyhauler and his new F250 with its 25,000 pound tow rating... Tell him it won't work and he "immediately goes into the stages of grief"....

1. Denial: No, it's perfect and the salesman showed me the chart.
2. Anger: You people don't know anything and this forum sucks.
3. Bargaining: I'll install bigger tires and air bags and I'll be OK, besides I always travel light.
4. Depression: Maybe I'll just quit the forum, sell it all and take up knitting.
5. Acceptance: (after a few months) Hey guys, I traded my F250 on a dually, man it tows so much better. We just got back from a 3 week trip and everything went perfect. We're planning another trip next month. Oh, by the way, how do I adjust the awning so rain runs off the back instead of the front where we have to walk?

Look though the forum, you'll see the above 5 stages in everything from trailer problems, dealer problems, Keystone problems, Ford/GM/RAM problems, tire problems, and yes, even "forum problems".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote