Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 03-13-2022, 11:48 AM   #21
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
I’m thinking I will just hire a tire engineer/ consultant..put him on the payroll and have him travel with me to adjust the air pressure up and down based on how much we buy at antique shops in our travels and how much water is in the fresh water tank.

Do I need to air the tires up differently based on each individual tire load?

tires are really complicated

Yeah I’m not going thru all of that lol
Don't forget to add a frame engineer, a welder, a millwright, electrician, plumber, gas fitter, HAVRC tech, waste water engineer, and computer programmer to the convoy of support vehichles. If they follow you to your destination you'll be garenteed to have a stress free weekend. Oh, almost forgot the two most important support vehichles for the support vehichles, the armored car full of cash and the beer truck!
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 11:58 AM   #22
Tireman9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roper46 View Post
When I got my 5er last August, all the valve stems had green colored caps on them. From what I have read this indicates the tires have Nitrogen in them.

Is this correct? And if it is correct what if any special "handling" does this mean?

A green valve cap means someone bought a green valve cap and replaced the OE Black one. There are no valve caps that can confirm that there in 97% N2 instead of 78% N2 in the tires. Someone may have paid for the service of inflating the tires with N2 after selling the previous owner on the possible advantages of having 97% N2 in the tires.
But 65 psi of 97% N2 and 3% "air" supports exactly the same load as does 78% N2 and 22% "air'. "air" is the mixture of the other gasses we breath.
Old 03-13-2022, 12:58 PM   #23
cdigger67

I have the Carlisle 225/75R15 E rated tires on my 2018 Outback 330RL. I always run them at 80psi when we travel. We are fulltimers and know that I need max pressure because of the weight we haul. These tires are made to run at that psi. Works for me.
cdigger67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 12:59 PM   #24
Roper46

Ok thanks.
6.7L I6 CTD with Air Suspension
6 Speed Automatic 68RFE Transmission
Roper46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 04:47 PM   #25
wegone

I have one question still.....

Where do I get that ball cap?

And a observation, sorta.

When I was a youngster growing up in Southern California, I worked on sportfishing boats.
On the overnight boats, I was often tasked with wheel watch.

Basically just monitor the motors, and watch for traffic, and heading, while sitting in the captains chair on autopilot.

I was told to NOT just stare at the radar screen, it could lure you to sleep.

I am having the same draw to my TPMS now, watching it constantly scroll through its readings ")

I was surprised to see how much the temperature rose in each tire, as well as the pressure. I do like seeing them all run the same, or close to the same.

I think it was a better investment than a back up camera....
wegone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 09:26 PM   #26
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
A green valve cap means someone bought a green valve cap and replaced the OE Black one. There are no valve caps that can confirm that there in 97% N2 instead of 78% N2 in the tires. Someone may have paid for the service of inflating the tires with N2 after selling the previous owner on the possible advantages of having 97% N2 in the tires.
But 65 psi of 97% N2 and 3% "air" supports exactly the same load as does 78% N2 and 22% "air'. "air" is the mixture of the other gasses we breath.
Actually, several companies are now using the green caps and advertising nitrogen filled tires. Their sales pitch is more stable tire pressure when traveling, less loss over time, and cooler running tires. Personally, I think it’s a load of bull and ver impractical for an RV. Even nitrogen will lose pressure over time and it’s not likely an RV owner will take his RV on a quest to find a shop to refill with nitrogen every time we need to add a couple psi.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote