Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 02-02-2022, 09:56 AM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Shepherd Guy View Post
John Wrote: "Granted, I'm retired and have the time to spend,..."

John, we all know it is a myth that retirement frees up your time

However, we appreciate your efforts all the more for it.

Oak
Yep, you're right.... For the first 10 years of retirement it seemed like I was busier than when I was working. Then, for the past couple years, I "keep forgetting to put in my hearing aids" and "forget where I left the phone" or "Damn, I forgot to put that on the calendar"...

I've found my "age related forgetfulness" has been a perfect "cover" for not staying busy when someone calls or when they yell, "Hey Grandpa"....

I call it "retirement bliss"

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 07:22 PM   #22
gearhead

I got told an hour ago:
You should be working these sudoku puzzles like me.
Why?
It's good for your brain.
What do you mean?
Helps with your memory. I told you several times before.
Really??
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 08:44 AM   #23
Carl

Quote:
Originally Posted by slider909 View Post
Lets see, the current national debt is $29,911,824,000,000 and you think the government has a business model?
There hasn't been any forest rangers onsite in NC campgrounds in 10+ years. There are maybe 4 people who service the 5 camp grounds that are on the NC side of the lake.
Bingo! The government business model is spend more than they have in the budget and raise taxes so they can spend more than they have again next year.
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 09:04 AM   #24
Ddaddyo

We're permanent in a 155 lot campground. They used unoccupied lots for weekly rentals. Last year they were down to 10-12 lots for Weekly. This Season, 2022 all lots are season all and rented. A Park about 6 miles away did away with some Seasonal sites and converted them to weakly, evicting the campers at the end of last season. Its all about the $$$$
Ddaddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 09:49 AM   #25
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
I am also frustrated with trying to book sites… the entire state of Florida is booked for a year out it seems

Expanding loops at a campground isn’t really easy though…the electric in the park was probably mapped out years ago and is likely overtaxed as it is…a lot of it is probably grandfathered in as for as codes…if they do any major upgrade they may have to bring everything up to current code.

Then you have bathroom facilities and septic or sewer systems …

May even be occupancy limits …

Red tape and regulations can make a seemingly little project turn into a “Federal Project”
The entire state of Florida is not books year out. You can generally find a site in the middle of the state. Having been a snowbird for years in SW Florida on the coast at a non cramped CG you are correct. We book before we leave. All sites are good but few preferred. For any site you will need a minimum of a 3 month stay. Only a few don’t return and those sites are booked in May or possibly late April. Be prepared to pay $1500 monthly mostly in advance plus electric and a water charge - say $1650 total this year and more next year. Site choices are assigned by how long your stay will be and how many years you have been coming. Don’t waste your time thinking of anything less than 3 months during winter but even weekends are open in the summer.
Beginning in May through the summer months sites are always available and much less as well.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 09:49 AM   #26
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddaddyo View Post
We're permanent in a 155 lot campground. They used unoccupied lots for weekly rentals. Last year they were down to 10-12 lots for Weekly. This Season, 2022 all lots are season all and rented. A Park about 6 miles away did away with some Seasonal sites and converted them to weakly, evicting the campers at the end of last season. Its all about the $$$$

Lots of weird things when it gets to RVs and "permanent"/year long site rentals. In some places as I've been told by park owners they will not let anyone stay over 6 mos. as they then become "permanent" and an entirely different set of rules comes into play requiring them to go through all kinds of eviction hoops vs just telling someone to leave so that plays into some of this. Then, the exact opposite; in this park they try to keep 51% of the sites as full time then they don't have to get bogged down into the county "transient" taxes, hotel/motel/RV space taxes and all that.

I think the bottom line is that many places will be opting to try to maximize their income as has been described due to the exploding numbers of new RV owners. Not so bad for an RV owner that spends a week or 2 in their camper per year but very costly for those that like to travel most of the year.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 10:01 AM   #27
rlh1957

Quote:
Originally Posted by slider909 View Post
We used to be able to reserve a camp site at the lake we go to a few weeks in advance or drive to the grounds and be able to get one that wasn't booked. We've camped there for well over 20 years. Now everything is on line and you have to book as soon as the 8 month in advance time opens up. So you are booking for almost a year out. We tend to try and book Sunday's - Thursdays, never on weekends or holidays. We've noticed that the majority of camp sites during the week have units on them but no one is around. Everyone is booking 2 week blocks just to be there on the weekends. There used to be a rule that said the sites couldn't be unoccupied for more than 24 hrs, but there is no enforcing that any more. Times sure have changed for the worse.
More people are camping now than ever. Dealers don’t have many “in stock” models to even choose from and if you order one it could take months or travel to another state to pick up.

Because of Covid and other unrelated trends so much has changed. Working remote has given freedom to roam, people fed up with airports, airlines and security lines has driven people from flying. International travel has taken a hit and destination stops are closed.
Now that people are realizing the joy of camping and seeing the country they are stampeding to be there. These are the same people that poo poo’ed or lifestyles just a few years ago.
They are also not as nature friendly and conservation savvy as most of us are. They must be greeted friendly like and exposed to the rules of the outdoors.

2020 Cougar Half Ton 29RKS Fifth Wheel
2019 F350 4WD Lariat SRW 6.7 Diesel SD
Anderson Ultimate 5th Hitch - JT Strongarm TST509 TPMS- 2200W(8)Solar Panels - 800AH BattleBorn Batteries. 3000W Victron MultiPlus II Inv. SoftStartRV on 2 AC’s - Predator 3500 generator Airlift 5000 bags
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 10:01 AM   #28
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
The entire state of Florida is not books year out. You can generally find a site in the middle of the state. Having been a snowbird for years in SW Florida on the coast at a non cramped CG you are correct. We book before we leave. All sites are good but few preferred. For any site you will need a minimum of a 3 month stay. Only a few don’t return and those sites are booked in May or possibly late April. Be prepared to pay $1500 monthly mostly in advance plus electric and a water charge - say $1650 total this year and more next year. Site choices are assigned by how long your stay will be and how many years you have been coming. Don’t waste your time thinking of anything less than 3 months during winter but even weekends are open in the summer.
Beginning in May through the summer months sites are always available and much less as well.

Yeah I guess I was exaggerating a bit…we prefer the water ..I like to see the water…swim in the water…eat near the water and I guess a lot of people like that also…

State parks around fernadina beach and ST Augustine would be nice..even if we can’t go swimming in the winter.

Last year we went to Rainbow Springs state park and that’s about as inland as I’d like to go…drove over to crystal river and went snorkeling over to the manatees in Feb ..was a little cold but not bad

Everything I looked at as far as state parks anywhere near the water is booked.
Could go out to the keys…went many times in the past…thought about Boyd’s but your packed in like sardines and I’m really not into the partying lifestyle anymore also could stay in a nice hotel cheaper lol

Can forget about any state park in the keys…don’t think I’ve ever seen a site available but maybe doing something wrong as far as reservations.
Old 02-06-2022, 10:39 AM   #29
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Yeah I guess I was exaggerating a bit…we prefer the water ..I like to see the water…swim in the water…eat near the water and I guess a lot of people like that also…

State parks around fernadina beach and ST Augustine would be nice..even if we can’t go swimming in the winter.

Last year we went to Rainbow Springs state park and that’s about as inland as I’d like to go…drove over to crystal river and went snorkeling over to the manatees in Feb ..was a little cold but not bad

Everything I looked at as far as state parks anywhere near the water is booked.
Could go out to the keys…went many times in the past…thought about Boyd’s but your packed in like sardines and I’m really not into the partying lifestyle anymore also could stay in a nice hotel cheaper lol

Can forget about any state park in the keys…don’t think I’ve ever seen a site available but maybe doing something wrong as far as reservations.

Come on Jasin; cold?? I remember one year I took little brother and his DW to Wakulla Springs to watch the manatees. It was dead winter and we all had hooded parkas on. Walked out to the observation deck and there on the beach was a family...ALL in their swimming suits standing in knee deep water and then going back and forth out to see the manatees. Little brother and I looked at each other thinking "these poor folks have lost their marbles". The dad came closer to where we were and I asked him if they weren't all freezing to death. He just grinned and said the spring water was 70 something degrees and they were fine plus being with the manatees was worth it! I smiled and just shook my head.

Don't know if you've looked but you mentioned Crystal River. North of Crystal River is Cedar Key. There are some places to put your RV there. It's a quaint place but pretty neat. Clams can't be beat (for FL). The one RV park I've been through at Cedar Key was pretty tight but looked doable. Not nearly as packed as further S. When it gets to the line about where Clearwater is I just kind of stay N of that. Clearwater used to be OK but it's wall to wall people now. Keys? I think they've progressed past the point I can handle....or I've digressed (gotten too old). Contemplating spending a month next fall in Crystal River just so I can eat breakfasts at Grannies...
Old 02-06-2022, 10:49 AM   #30
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Come on Jasin; cold?? I remember one year I took little brother and his DW to Wakulla Springs to watch the manatees. It was dead winter and we all had hooded parkas on. Walked out to the observation deck and there on the beach was a family...ALL in their swimming suits standing in knee deep water and then going back and forth out to see the manatees. Little brother and I looked at each other thinking "these poor folks have lost their marbles". The dad came closer to where we were and I asked him if they weren't all freezing to death. He just grinned and said the spring water was 70 something degrees and they were fine plus being with the manatees was worth it! I smiled and just shook my head.

Don't know if you've looked but you mentioned Crystal River. North of Crystal River is Cedar Key. There are some places to put your RV there. It's a quaint place but pretty neat. Clams can't be beat (for FL). The one RV park I've been through at Cedar Key was pretty tight but looked doable. Not nearly as packed as further S. When it gets to the line about where Clearwater is I just kind of stay N of that. Clearwater used to be OK but it's wall to wall people now. Contemplating spending a month next fall in Crystal River just so I can eat breakfasts at Grannies...
Yep we drove out to Ceder key after snorkeling…it was a nice little place..I do remember seeing a little rv place on the right as we were coming in to the key

My son works on a ship for a couple of months at a time during the year..we watch his dog for him when he is gone so we are waiting for him to get back before we leave..Australian cattle dog ..
Makes planning ahead a challenge and not sure we want to attempt taking him with us as we don’t want to ever leave him alone in the rv.

He can be a handful

My daughter watches him also but she is recently married and has a golden retriever giant puppy to take care of now so we don’t want to burden her

Most of our plans happen on the spur of the moment as our sons eta changes all the time

I’m gonna make it work somehow this year and plan better for next
Old 02-06-2022, 02:48 PM   #31
tanglemoose

We havecthe same issues, with no shows, not following rules. Made written and verbal communication with the appropriate agency and rules are usually enforced. Most forest services have a local office. I like rules but I like them enforced too!
tanglemoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 03:08 PM   #32
notanlines

Ah yes, Grannie's in Crystal River next door to the Kia dealer!! GREAT breakfast and then on to Cody's later for steak!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 03:53 PM   #33
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Ah yes, Grannie's in Crystal River next door to the Kia dealer!! GREAT breakfast and then on to Cody's later for steak!

Yep, we just happened upon Grannies. Saw some of the stuff they brought out of the kitchen so I had to try one of those ham steaks (in addition to most other things) and I was amazed at the size of that thing - didn't eat for 2 days I don't think...well, maybe some clams. I saw Cody's but did not go there. DW likes the way I make steak so she won't go to a steakhouse with me anymore - maybe it's the freezer full of TX ribeyes I bring.
Old 02-06-2022, 07:16 PM   #34
BauerAP

You say the NC side, and looks like you are currently in Hillsborough so I assume you are camping at Kerr or Gaston. Not sure of any state parks on Gaston so that narrows it down to one.
We typically camp at kimball point for the sandy beach instead of the rocky/red mud beaches some of the other campgrounds have. The 2020 was the first year in 6 years we didn’t stay at the lake and we only camper twice there last year. Some was due to schedule and some was due to availability.
We found that most of the campers there would reserve for the week and only she up for the weekend. Some were what seemed like full timers even though the state mandates max 14 days at a site.
We have found that even though 95% are reserved, only about 50% are actually occupied. We used to ride up after packing or call and they would tell us to come on in and availability was always there, minus holidays.
I’m hoping the trend doesn’t continue and we can use the lakes like we once did.
BauerAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 02:50 PM   #35
Gunny Mike

Campsites

Im feeling the pain in my wallet right now for the 2022 camping season. I like the campgrounds that just want a deposit compared to those you have to pay in full months in advance. State run campgrounds by us allow you to reserve 6 months in advance so I use Outlook as a monthly reminder in the winter months to reserve sites in the summer. State parks like Myrtle Beach and Gulf Shores let's you reserve a year out so again we have to pre plan early. It seems like most of the privately-owned campgrounds cater to seasonal site campers and those off the road or those without reservations get the leftovers in the park. We try to stay away from the campgrounds that cater to the seasonal campers and the golf cart traffic that goes with it.
Gunny Mike is offline   Reply With Quote