Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-30-2021, 09:21 AM   #1
Brando

Winterizing - Cover & TT jack setup?

Still a newbie here, now facing the incoming autumn and winter.

I've been going through this forum and online and I have two questions regarding prepping my Outback TT for the cold, snowy, Minnesota Winter...

Covers -- Yay or Nay? Should I get one or not? I will be storing my TT outside at my wooded property. It has 2 AC units too. So I'm wondering if a Cover will help any? If it's worth using one?

Other (probably dumb) question... my TT comes with the 6-point hydraulic jack leveling system. Over the winter, should I store the TT with that jack system deployed or stowed? If stowed, the TT will be resting on its 4 wheels and the trailer hitch jack... and I'm not sure if that's a good idea or not.
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 10:24 AM   #2
JDDilly

I too encounter the MN winter. I do not cover my camper. The main reason is we try and take an early Spring trip to a warmer are, with the cover all covered with snow and ice, not sure about getting it off. I also don't put the jacks down. Again for Spring travel, I don't want to deal with them frozen to the ground when I want to pull it out.

Just what I do.

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Diesel, Long Box, Air Lift Bags - 2023 Fuzion 421
JDDilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 11:38 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Something to consider: You'll be storing your trailer "at my wooded property" ..

Considering that, essentially any cover, whether it's rooftop air conditioner covers or a "whole trailer cover" will simply mean that you'll be "providing shelter to the homeless mouse population".....

Making the trailer a "tent" gives them a nice, comfortable, safe from prey home for the winter.... It also gives you a "frozen wrap of sandpaper" to scratch the surface of your trailer every time the wind blows and makes it impossible to remove until ALL the ice and snow has melted off the trailer come spring, when you want to get the trailer ready for an early trip....

Oh, and forget moving the trailer during the winter, even if you could dig it out of the snowbank. With the cover frozen to the trailer roof, ain't nothing moving till spring !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 04:22 PM   #4
Canonman

Hi Brado,
I do things a little different. Our last trip is usually over by the end of October. When I winterize the Cougar, it's for whole winter. Our first trips are usually just before Memorial Day before the kiddie-poos get out of school. So, we're not traveling for at least 6 months of the year. I even put the truck and trailer insurance on "vacation" to save a few $$.
I do use a cover for the winter. If a cover fits well and is of good quality you won't necessarily get the abrasion and wear issues issues mentioned by others. IMHO not having the Cougar exposed to the elements for 1/2 the year is significant. Our Cougar is 6 seasons old and covered every winter. I'm buying a new, just the second, cover for this winter because I think it does protect my investment. I have personally had no negative issues with using the cover. We do have a pretty good winter here (The Greatest Snow on Earth) with lots of wind and single digit temps.
As for using the leveling system, I do level the trailer and again have had no issues.
I also remove the batteries and store them inside on a Battery Tender.
Just giving you a look at the other side of the conversation and what works for us.
Best of luck with your decision.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MGL6263.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	431.5 KB
ID:	35577  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 07:19 AM   #5
Brando

I appreciate everyone's insight.
To clarify a few things, my TT right now is parked at a sorta permanent location; my wooded property in northern Minnesota. Thus I'm well aware of the potential mouse haven I could create, and really had to deal with last year with my covered boat too. That's reality when you choose not to store it elsewhere. But, I am prepared for it.
I also don't plan to use my TT any earlier than when the lakes around here have no more ice upon them. That's to say, the snow and ice will likely be melted upon the TT as well if not before the lakes. So having my TT be mobile during the non-vacation weather I'm not really concerned about.
What I am concerned about is the Cost of a Cover vs. Benefits of a Cover. I also have 2 AC units and some rooftop vents that I feel may not survive having snow blowing directly onto them. I may have a leaky problem come spring, which is what I'm trying to prevent. I know that RV lots keep their product uncovered, outdoors, for the winter. Most of them only keep product for a year before it's someone else's problem anyhow. And Covers, good ones, are at least $300 and PITA to put on without tearing the fabric. So perhaps I just need to cover the AC units and vents? But one of the responses stated that having a cover also keeps the condition of the TT good longer than exposing it to the elements for 6 months of the year. That's true. Which is why I have my boat covered when not in use. Or if I had a classic car, that too, when not driven. So... choices choices choices.

Regarding the jacks and stabilizers... seems like it doesn't matter whether or not they're deployed or stowed while the TT sits there for months on end. And I do have a good hitch lock, not one easily taken off. I've replaced all locks on the TT as well. So perhaps keeping the jacks and stabilizers deployed, and battery removed, is just another theft deterrent.

Any other insight or input is appreciated. Thanks to all those who have responded thus far.
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, winter, winterizing