Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2021, 08:34 AM   #21
Vinnie

Always been curious as to whether the tank-flush spray reaches the right places, so as to avoid such things. In an old coach, I could hear great water pressure spraying hard against multiple surfaces in the buried black tank. In my current split fore/aft rig, I can't even tell any water is running into the black tanks from the tank-flush hose. Intellectually, I know there's some, because it drains out after, but I'm fairly certain it's not cleaning the tanks like I'm used to. Gonna have to stay somewhere with full hook ups so I can experiment with the dump process without hurrying because there's still 5 campers in line behind me.

Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 11:22 AM   #22
bobbecky

The couple across from us some months ago had a problem with their black tank draining and called in a pro to clean the tank. Turns out, they were leaving the black thank drain valve open and the pyramid finally grew high enough that it fully blocked the drain. $300 later, the tank was clean and I gave them a partial bottle of TankTechsRx and discussed the proper black tank maintenance. They are now happy campers. There are other treatments, but the biggest issue is draining the tank when it’s close to full. It’s nice having a tank flush system but it’s not really necessary.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 12:42 PM   #23
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
The couple across from us some months ago had a problem with their black tank draining and called in a pro to clean the tank. Turns out, they were leaving the black thank drain valve open and the pyramid finally grew high enough that it fully blocked the drain. $300 later, the tank was clean and I gave them a partial bottle of TankTechsRx and discussed the proper black tank maintenance. They are now happy campers. There are other treatments, but the biggest issue is draining the tank when it’s close to full. It’s nice having a tank flush system but it’s not really necessary.

^^^^close to full with PLENTY of water and not a thick slurry!!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 01:23 PM   #24
NH_Bulldog

I have never had a tank flush before this camper, and never had an issue. But now that I have the flush (and the cheap plastic one-way valve removed and straight-piped), I love it. I have let it run for 10 minutes after I thought the tank was clean and still watched bits of TP floating out, so flushed for 10 minutes more while I picked up the rest of the campsite for departure.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 03:33 PM   #25
JRTJH
Site Team

There seems to be a lot of "anticipated efficiency" with black tank flush systems. Many people expect a device inside their black tank that "mimics a high pressure washer wand" while others expect a "strong stream of water that's directed at all the walls inside the black tank, effectively "washing" the walls to prevent buildup....

NOTHING COULD BE FURTHER FROM THE TRUTH !!!!!

When you consider that a holding tank is typically 4" deep on one end and 7" deep on the other, 24-28" wide and 60" long, with a "flush nozzle" mounted near the center of the tank, what really happens inside your black tank is a "couple of streams of water sort of aimed at various angles, add water to the tank, hopefully rinsing some of the debris off the tank walls.

Take a look at the three brands of black tank nozzles, look at the amount of water, the velocity of that water stream when connected to a water hose under "house faucet pressure and volume"... Then imagine that nozzle INSIDE a shallow, long box.... That's what's happening inside your black tank.

Of the three brands typically used, only one has a "rotating nozzle inside the black tank... Take note of how the narrator gets that nozzle to start spinning.... Are you (can you) reach inside your black tank to get the nozzle to turn ?????

There's a lot of "hype" about black tank flush systems... Most of it is just that, "hype"... Sure they add water to a black tank so you don't need to repeatedly flush the toilet to fill the tank during a "rinse" but realistically, the amount of water volume and the "paultry pressure" that comes out of the nozzle won't "clean your black tank"... It likely won't even reach the sensor "nails" stuck in the end of the tank, 30" away, and if it does happen to splash on one or two of those nails, there likely won't be enough force to break up a "gob of toilet paper and poo"....

Take a look at what's "really inside your tank" and don't expect more than it can deliver:

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 04:24 PM   #26
dhardest

Hmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrohorse View Post
Can you get a stick and knock the pyramid over?
Assign that extra "doody" to the wife and see how many more times she wants to go RVing.

Tags
water