Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-25-2018, 05:43 AM   #1
dk47

Slide motor

I have a 2001 cougar 245 fifth wheel with a dinette slide out. The slide barely moves and usually requires some manual help. Where would I find information on the slide motor? Brand etc. Thanks
dk47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 07:06 AM   #2
wiredgeorge

My slide motor is what operates my slide and it is not hydraulic. I called Lippert who owns the company that now makes the slide motor and they don't keep track of serial numbers nor is there a name on the motor. I would first ensure there is not some issue that is causing the slide to not retract/extend as it should physically and this is likely best done by an RV tech and then look into replacing the motor. On my unit, it would not be very hard. A Keystone dealer is probably the best place to get the right parts. Posted a pic of my slide motor... hope that helps as I can't figure out brand based on talks with Lippert tech support. Didn't go to Keystone but they likely would have been more help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	slide_motor.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	16173  
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 09:43 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Most maintenance on electric motors has gone the way of the dinosaur, but every town (of any size) has a shop that rebuilds alternators and starters as well as larger electric motors. I've found that the newer slide motors are "cheap Chinese imports" and can not be rebuilt, but the majority of the older slide motors (2005 and older) can be rebuilt, usually for about 25% of the cost of a new motor. Often, the rebuilt motor will last longer than a new one from China. If you do need to replace a bad motor, I'd suggest looking into rebuilding what you have as an option.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 09:55 AM   #4
wiredgeorge

Gonna have to put a caveat into this rebuilding the motor deal. I have several large compressors with electric motors. I recently had the motor die on one and after trouble shooting and replacing both start and run compressors, could not get it to work and called around ALL of San Antonio looking for a shop that could rewind the motor. I found one and the charge was about 2/3 the price of a new motor so I went that direction and had it rebuilt. Sadly, the rebuilt motor didn't work well at all so I ended up buying a new motor anyway. I was kind of surprised that so few places rebuilt SMALL electric motors although a number rebuild the giant ones... guess there is more profit on that segment of the market space. Anyway, I would just go to Keystone, have them look up the part and replace through them; think that it would be the most cost effective and sure way of fixing a motor problem. I am not going to argue about Chinese quality as many times there is none and that is the price we pay for allowing so much of our manufacturing to escape to them because we want cheap stuff....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Most maintenance on electric motors has gone the way of the dinosaur, but every town (of any size) has a shop that rebuilds alternators and starters as well as larger electric motors. I've found that the newer slide motors are "cheap Chinese imports" and can not be rebuilt, but the majority of the older slide motors (2005 and older) can be rebuilt, usually for about 25% of the cost of a new motor. Often, the rebuilt motor will last longer than a new one from China. If you do need to replace a bad motor, I'd suggest looking into rebuilding what you have as an option.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 03:48 PM   #5
Freeheel4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
My slide motor is what operates my slide and it is not hydraulic. I called Lippert who owns the company that now makes the slide motor and they don't keep track of serial numbers nor is there a name on the motor. I would first ensure there is not some issue that is causing the slide to not retract/extend as it should physically and this is likely best done by an RV tech and then look into replacing the motor. On my unit, it would not be very hard. A Keystone dealer is probably the best place to get the right parts. Posted a pic of my slide motor... hope that helps as I can't figure out brand based on talks with Lippert tech support. Didn't go to Keystone but they likely would have been more help.

I have the same setup and found out a few things when digging into my issue. To order those electric motor replacements it seems knowing the gear ratio is key. I believe mine wise like a 28:1 or 30:1. It was printed on the label. My vendor (LandNSea/Diversified) carries then so if you cant track one down PM me.
I also found that part of the problem was in the rollers that have a gear on outside edge of frame. They were stiff and adding mechanical resistance to the whole show. I think I read somewhere that slide needs supported and the you disassemble and lube with a 30w or 10-30. I just started diligently giving them a dose of wd-40 and they are substantially better. No more popping and creaking as slide moves.
If you are handy with a multimeter I would check power and ground at motor connections. Mine were corroded and causing voltage drop of around .8v, they were crummy wire nuts. Switched for heat shrink butt connectors and everything seems to be working.

Tags
slide