Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-20-2021, 09:06 PM   #1
Geoff B

Pin box help needed

Hello there
Question.... Am I able to cut off/remove this extension on the pin box successfully and utilize the king pin under the shorter base plate.Using an engineer to do the work of course
cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PIN BOX IMAGE.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	424.4 KB
ID:	33094  
Geoff B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 02:37 AM   #2
slow

It may be easier and cheaper to just replace the entire pin box. Easy to do since it bolts on to the frame.

It also gives you the opportunity to upgrade to a pin box that will provide a smoother ride.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 04:23 AM   #3
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff B View Post
Hello there
Question.... Am I able to cut off/remove this extension on the pin box successfully and utilize the king pin under the shorter base plate.Using an engineer to do the work of course
cheers
Is it welded on? Most of those just bolt on underneath I believe.
If it’s welded I would not want to cut it off because the heat from welding and cutting it off may have fatigued the metal.
I would also check an make sure the extra leverage from the extension hasn’t caused any tweak in the frame at the pin box where it attaches to upper frame.
If welded I would buy a new pin box as the price to hire someone to cut that one off could go towards the new one
Old 04-21-2021, 04:48 AM   #4
JDDilly

I would replace with a MorRyde hitch. It will greatly improve the towing experience.

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Diesel, Long Box, Air Lift Bags - 2023 Fuzion 421
JDDilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 04:57 AM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Since your in Auckland, getting another pin box may prove to be expensive, but I would at least check it out.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 05:28 AM   #6
notanlines

Geoff, are you certain that this is not an extension that was installed after-market and is removeable? I believe it may be.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 05:36 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Being that you're in New Zealand, there may be a reason the pinbox extension is installed on your trailer that goes beyond "just being there". Typically, the beds on trucks in your region are shorter than in the US. This might be related to why you have what you have. Removing it "may" cause a significantly decreased turn angle before hitting the rear window on the cab of your truck.

There may be a "national or regional code or standard" that requires its use and removing it might cause you to violate that requirement and cause you to be "outside the legal requirements"... It "could be" that extension is the only "legal way" to prevent hitting the cab and the sliding hitches we use in the US are not permitted for your "class of towing" in New Zealand.

Then again, it might just be the way the importer "decided to build all trailers they import to New Zealand.

Before removing it, I'd urge you to explore "why it's there" to be sure you won't be in violation of some local requirement to have it, or some "pracitcal reason why it was installed"...... Not being familiar with fifth wheel towing in your country, there may be some "very valid and necessary reason" why it's there....

Have you discussed this with the importer and/or your dealer?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 06:12 AM   #8
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Since your in Auckland, getting another pin box may prove to be expensive, but I would at least check it out.
If you take a sec and look at OP's profile it says Auckland for city but Alabama for state. Kind of curious I think.

OP, in your "ABOUT ME" put your city/state or city/country in your city field. Also in the UserCP, build a signature as your questions will have more context. Year, make and model for your camper & tow vehicle would be a great start.

Look up under your hitch and see if that extension piece is bolted or welded to the main part of the assembly.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 09:14 AM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
If you take a sec and look at OP's profile it says Auckland for city but Alabama for state. Kind of curious I think. .
Ok, it was early, before any coffee.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 09:47 AM   #10
Geoff B

[QUOTE=slow;445071]It may be easier and cheaper to just replace the entire pin box. Easy to do since it bolts on to the frame.

It also gives you the opportunity to upgrade to a pin box that will provide a smoother ride.[/QU

Agree....I have started this process looking at ETRAILER who provide free transport to LA port. We have no wholesalers in New Zealand. But do have an active fiver community of over 100 vans.
Old 04-21-2021, 09:53 AM   #11
jasin1

I have to commend you on having a positive spin on this little problem of yours.
Having to ship things from a different country and dealing with supply issues would turn some of us into complaining miserable people with nothing good to say.
I get mad when Amazon takes two days for a next day delivery
Kinda puts things in perspective.
Post updates and pictures of your project because we are interested
Have a good day
Old 04-21-2021, 09:56 AM   #12
Geoff B

Yes all sensible comments...I just thought there may be a simple doable solution....but full replacement is the next project...cheers
Old 04-21-2021, 10:04 AM   #13
Geoff B

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
I have to commend you on having a positive spin on this little problem of yours.
Having to ship things from a different country and dealing with supply issues would turn some of us into complaining miserable people with nothing good to say.
I get mad when Amazon takes two days for a next day delivery
Kinda puts things in perspective.
Post updates and pictures of your project because we are interested
Have a good day
Cheers....At the bottom of the world we are used to it The offshore purchase process is sometimes a mission but still pretty efficient and totally doable. We order.... then get on with the next project until it arrives.
Old 04-21-2021, 10:07 AM   #14
Geoff B

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDDilly View Post
I would replace with a MorRyde hitch. It will greatly improve the towing experience.
Thanks...agree...I'm looking at all options on ETRAILER. As my Ram bed is 5';7"...I'm heading toward a Reese Sidewinder....maybe...cheers
Old 04-21-2021, 10:10 AM   #15
Geoff B

Quote:
Yes....looking at that option now.The freight for a new pin box is about $NZ700 from LA
That's doable and we are used to that from down here...just have to accept it and get on with it
Old 04-21-2021, 10:11 AM   #16
Geoff B

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Geoff, are you certain that this is not an extension that was installed after-market and is removeable? I believe it may be.
Not sure re that....I have seen a couple around...mainly on fivers of my vintage...
Old 04-21-2021, 10:14 AM   #17
Geoff B

Quote:
Ok, it was early, before any coffee.
...I've changed it....there was no opportunity to change the State.
As its 0613 Thursday morning here....the coffee machine has been fired up....big time
Old 04-21-2021, 10:17 AM   #18
Geoff B

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Being that you're in New Zealand, there may be a reason the pinbox extension is installed on your trailer that goes beyond "just being there". Typically, the beds on trucks in your region are shorter than in the US. This might be related to why you have what you have. Removing it "may" cause a significantly decreased turn angle before hitting the rear window on the cab of your truck.

There may be a "national or regional code or standard" that requires its use and removing it might cause you to violate that requirement and cause you to be "outside the legal requirements"... It "could be" that extension is the only "legal way" to prevent hitting the cab and the sliding hitches we use in the US are not permitted for your "class of towing" in New Zealand.

Then again, it might just be the way the importer "decided to build all trailers they import to New Zealand.

Before removing it, I'd urge you to explore "why it's there" to be sure you won't be in violation of some local requirement to have it, or some "pracitcal reason why it was installed"...... Not being familiar with fifth wheel towing in your country, there may be some "very valid and necessary reason" why it's there....

Have you discussed this with the importer and/or your dealer?
Hi....all good points....but there are no regulations re this pin box....or any in NZ surrounding pin boxes apart from boxes on the large fivers over 3.5 tonnes.
My main option is to replace the box. Probably with a sidewinder type pin box.....cheers
Old 04-23-2021, 04:30 PM   #19
jim1

We are using the Reese Sidewinder on our present 5ver and had the Reese Revolution on our Flagstaff 5ver that was a factory installed pin box. You can remove the wedge and bolt the pin box rotation to use it as a standard pin box. We really like ours and personally I think it backs up and handles better than a standard pin box. It's like having your hitch point 24" further back,and we haven't had any clearance problems with the cab. Just my 2 cents for what it's worth but I'm definitely impressed with it and will keep using it . Good luck! Oh and we're in ���� Canada so you probably get your ordered stuff before us, ours is delivered by slow dog sleds 10 months a year!!��
Retired-Lovin' 7 Saturdays a week!!
jim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 05:50 PM   #20
Sulphur1

Had to do this in Australia in 2016. At the time was allowed to use an imported Fifth Airborne if under 4500kg. Dismantled it and cut the pin plate off as the New Holland replacement pin needed to be welded on the rear of the new plate. The pin had to have the required rating stamped on it. Re- welded to pin box 'floating arm', powder coated & re-assembled. Added grease jerk to center. I preferred to use this one because of shocker system & I think it may have saved me from a later structural failure.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151130_161130.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	347.3 KB
ID:	33160
Sulphur1 is offline   Reply With Quote