Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-12-2021, 03:15 PM   #1
Blarkins

RV solar/wind turbine setup

Hello Forum,

New here but I’m on the Ford Diesel forum also. Just bought a Cougar 302RLS with a home style refrigerator and it is solar ready. Do a lot of Dry camping or Boondocking and been thinking. I want to do the solar setup but started to think, at night why not have a Wind Turbine attached to the back ladder that could be locked down during the day and then at night raised up into the breeze to keep the batteries charging?

Anybody out there have this type of setup? Doesn’t have to be a big wind turbine just something that keeps up with say TV, Refrig and maybe water pump and furnace if it gets cold. Kind of like keeping everything balanced out so after a week your not dead in the water. I have a generator but really don’t want to lug that around.

Thanks for input.
Blarkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 03:23 PM   #2
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blarkins View Post
Hello Forum,

New here but I’m on the Ford Diesel forum also. Just bought a Cougar 302RLS with a home style refrigerator and it is solar ready. Do a lot of Dry camping or Boondocking and been thinking. I want to do the solar setup but started to think, at night why not have a Wind Turbine attached to the back ladder that could be locked down during the day and then at night raised up into the breeze to keep the batteries charging?

Anybody out there have this type of setup? Doesn’t have to be a big wind turbine just something that keeps up with say TV, Refrig and maybe water pump and furnace if it gets cold. Kind of like keeping everything balanced out so after a week your not dead in the water. I have a generator but really don’t want to lug that around.

Thanks for input.
Sail boaters have used them for years
https://www.sailmagazine.com/diy/kno...ind-generators
Old 04-12-2021, 03:26 PM   #3
jasin1

Don’t know if I would get one these.. might not last but gives you an idea
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	365BFD54-C7BF-4D69-BDE3-C5A655E5D19C.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	201.0 KB
ID:	32956  
Old 04-12-2021, 03:30 PM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

I think the biggest challenge with a wind turbine would be storage. In order to get a turbine large enough the blades could be several feet long requireing a pole sufficiantly long enough to get the blades above the roof. Then you would have to mount that with sufficiant strength to withstand the wimnd and torque forces imposed by the turbine.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 03:59 PM   #5
Blarkins

Flybouy,

They make some pretty small blade/wing span wind turbines. Like I stated doesn’t have to be that powerful, just enough to help keep the batteries a little charge going or limit the amount of battery drain. Some I’ve seen are like 42” across which isn’t that big.
Blarkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 03:02 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

We've got a wind turbine on a pole about 40' in the air. It sits about 100' to 125' behind the house and "down the hill toward the lake". When the wind "really blows" the turbine howls. When the wind barely blows, you can't hear the "rustle of the leaves" because of the whistle of the turbine.... We've got used to it and just close the windows so we don't have to contend with the howls and whistles.... If we were in the trailer, I wouldn't want to have that "vibration, howls and whistles" 20' from where I was trying to sleep.....

If you do get "serious about considering a wind turbine" find a similar model and listen to the noise as it's "generating power".... Ours "generates more nuisance than it does electricity".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 03:08 PM   #7
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I think the biggest challenge with a wind turbine would be storage. In order to get a turbine large enough the blades could be several feet long requireing a pole sufficiantly long enough to get the blades above the roof. Then you would have to mount that with sufficiant strength to withstand the wimnd and torque forces imposed by the turbine.
I think it matters which the direction the blades are oriented so you will have to figure wind direction and either be able to turn the mast or the whole camper. Sounds like more trouble than its worth.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 03:25 PM   #8
travelin texans

Sounds like much less work & $$$$ to get a rv with a rv fridge & a generator to keep the batteries charged.
I had a vision of a rv with the wind turbine, reminds me of the boat propeller guys add to their receiver hitches.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar