Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2021, 03:37 AM   #1
RickV

Tankless Water Heater noise

We are on our first trip (only a 3 nigther} with our new 3790FK. We turned on the switch for the Tankless Water Heater and just figured it would only activate when we turned on a hot water spigot. Well last night while sitting in the LR watching TV every so often we would hear what we thought was the Fridge compressor and it was kinda loud. So this morning I get up and everything is quiet and I hear the noise again, I check the Fridge and it's not coming from there but below it. So it donned on me that the water heater exhaust port is around that area outside I turn off the water heater and the noise went away. Is this normal for these tankless water heaters to cycle from time to time? If so should I just leave it off until I need hot water to save on propane? I have it set to 120 degrees.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 03:50 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

What brand of water heater? The Truma brand has a model that will keep a small amount heated so you get “instant” hot water.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 03:56 AM   #3
RickV

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
What brand of water heater? The Truma brand has a model that will keep a small amount heated so you get “instant” hot water.
It is a Suburban, I reckon that's what it is doing too. The noise it makes is almost as bad as when you crank up the propane heater.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
Old 04-18-2021, 02:53 AM   #4
RickV

Just to update, I figured out that there is an option to turn off the "Instant Hot Water" setting on the keypad that controls the water heater.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
Old 04-18-2021, 05:10 AM   #5
ChuckS

Your 2021 Alpine has the Suburban IW60 RL on demand water heater.. The (RL) means recirculation Loop and this unit is only installed OEM .. the Suburban IW60 available over the counter at RV parts stores Does Not have the RL feature

The noise you are hearing is the recirculation pump turning on and off to maintain a set water temp you have have dialed into your system display..

You can also turn the RL pump OFF if desired ( I would ) and be aware this IW60RL unit is having issues in the filed with pump leaks,etc

Video link explaining the RL feature......

https://youtu.be/RkTWPQ2hUe0

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 01:52 AM   #6
RickV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Your 2021 Alpine has the Suburban IW60 RL on demand water heater.. The (RL) means recirculation Loop and this unit is only installed OEM .. the Suburban IW60 available over the counter at RV parts stores Does Not have the RL feature

The noise you are hearing is the recirculation pump turning on and off to maintain a set water temp you have have dialed into your system display..

You can also turn the RL pump OFF if desired ( I would ) and be aware this IW60RL unit is having issues in the filed with pump leaks,etc

Video link explaining the RL feature......

https://youtu.be/RkTWPQ2hUe0
I turned the RL pump off and it seems like it doesn't take any longer for the water to get hot then with it on (it may make a difference when we get to colder climates). I have not seen any leaks as of yet

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
Old 04-23-2021, 04:49 AM   #7
ChuckS

For reference "down the road".. IF that IW60RL model ever has a major issue and warranty is past its time period then buy the IW60 (NON RL) unit to replace yours with... You can not easily buy the RL unit over the counter and the IW60 is a bout $300 less cost wise..

Just block off the recirculation loop line where it would have connected to the water heater and you are good...

Parts for the IW60 model seem to be available and the RL unit Airxcel appears to not have much out for replacement parts

The WEAK LINK on the RL model appears to be the recirculation pump

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 06:10 AM   #8
RickV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
For reference "down the road".. IF that IW60RL model ever has a major issue and warranty is past its time period then buy the IW60 (NON RL) unit to replace yours with... You can easily buy the RL unit over the counter and the IW60 is a bout $300 less cost wise..

Just block off the recirculation loop line where it would have connected to the water heater and you are good...

Parts for the IW60 model seem to be available and the RL unit Airxcel appears to not have much out for replacement parts

The WEAK LINK on the RL model appears to be the recirculation pump
Will keep that in mind much appreciated.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK

Tags
heat, heater, tank, water, water heater