Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-13-2021, 08:49 AM   #1
blubuckaroo
Gone Traveling

Adding a battery disconnect

I normally remove our batteries for the off season and keep them on a Battery Tender, but during other periods of non-use I've been disconnecting the the batteries from the post.
I'd like to add a battery disconnect, since our Passport didn't qualify for such an extravagance.
I've looked at some different types, and some require a hole cut into the chassis to mount the switch, and I won't do that.
What are my options?
blubuckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 09:04 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

This one is very popular and I have installed countless number of them.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/MARINCO-7...98a2a5054a4ce0

Argument is positive or negative lead...Manufacturer uses the positive.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 09:23 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

If you want a "simple and easy to install" BCO switch, Harbor Freight sells a switch that mounts on either the positive or negative battery terminal with the switch built into it. Remove the battery cable, install the device, attach the battery cable to the device and operate the switch. It's $6.99 at HF https://www.harborfreight.com/batter...tch-97853.html

If you get into the argument of "positive or negative" and where to install it, just buy two ($14) and install one on each terminal on the battery.....

HF also sells the "red key type" BCO switch for $7. If you decide to go that route, you'll also need to buy a "gray plastic utility box" and an extra battery cable (or cut your current one and solder/crimp terminals on the cut ends). Then you'll need to locate a place to install the box with the BCO switch in it. That location could be "on the battery box lid" or close to the battery location.

It's easier to just install the "battery terminal device", then as you use it, determine if it is "fancy enough for you" or whether you want to indulge in a more elaborate BCO switch system. The total investment is $7 and about 10 minutes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TTERY TERMINAL SWITCH.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	173.1 KB
ID:	32439   Click image for larger version

Name:	battery cutoff switch.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	32440  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 03:17 AM   #4
Weldon

Thank you for this. I've been disconnecting our cables after every use. Didn't realize there were options on the market.
Weldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 06:07 AM   #5
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
This one is very popular and I have installed countless number of them.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/MARINCO-7...98a2a5054a4ce0

Argument is positive or negative lead...Manufacturer uses the positive.
X2
This is the switch I installed on our 5er, and loved it would flip to off when we got home from a trip, and two months later batteries still showed a full charge.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 07:18 AM   #6
Javi

The reasoning behind using the negative post for the cutoff is simple... no ground / no power flow...

If you choose the positive post just be sure to put the switch before any connection to a terminal. This is why there are parasitic draws even with the factory installed cutoff switches.. by law they cannot completely disconnect power from some safety features.
Old 03-14-2021, 07:44 AM   #7
LewisB

Also, obviously, if you use the "battery terminal post" type switch and you have multiple batteries, you will need to install the post switch at every battery.
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 07:58 AM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisB View Post
Also, obviously, if you use the "battery terminal post" type switch and you have multiple batteries, you will need to install the post switch at every battery.
Not really, just the lead to the trailer if all your doing is disconnecting the "trailer".

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 03-14-2021, 08:10 AM   #9
travelin texans

Quote:
NOPE! Just the primary positive to the trailer or the negative cable going to ground.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 08:12 AM   #10
travelin texans

Quote:
NOPE! Just the primary positive to the trailer or the negative cable going to ground.
If you use the disconnect that separates in the middle & install it on the positive cable you will have sparks, on negative you shouldn't.
Replacement undetermined
Old 03-14-2021, 08:16 AM   #11
LewisB

Right. No need to install one on the tow vehicle or the DW's car. Batteries for a residential fridge need special consideration - there's probably other scenarios where separate batteries are used for boondocking or starting the generator. I assumed that we were talking about standard trailer batteries connected to the trailer.

It is fairly common to find 2 or more batteries in a bank that can not be fully interrupted with the OE "disconnect" system. If you have a trailer with more than one battery connected as a bank that you want to disconnect and you choose to use the battery post connection/switch shown by John in his post, then you will need to install a switch on each trailer battery. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Old 03-14-2021, 08:19 AM   #12
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Right. No need to install one on the tow vehicle or the DW's car. Batteries for a residential fridge need special consideration - there's probably other scenarios where separate batteries are used for boondocking or starting the generator. I assumed that we were talking about standard trailer batteries connected to the trailer.

It is fairly common to find 2 or more batteries in a bank that can not be fully interrupted with the OE "disconnect" system. If you have a trailer with more than one battery connected as a bank that you want to disconnect and you choose to use the battery post connection/switch shown by John in his post, then you will need to install a switch on each trailer battery. Sorry if that wasn't clear.
Unless you have separate battery(s) for a residential fridge, then again you only need one disconnect at the power FEED TO THE TRAILER no matter how many batteries are in that "bank"

Old 03-14-2021, 09:39 AM   #13
LewisB

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Unless you have separate battery(s) for a residential fridge, then again you only need one disconnect at the power FEED TO THE TRAILER no matter how many batteries are in that "bank"
Ok, didn't mean to highjack the thread over the issue. Since you seem determined to ignore what I actually say I'll just hope that others will actually read what I wrote and capture what I was saying. This was not a recommendation on my part. I too would choose a single switch to interrupt the negative side of the entire power feed. My point was simply that you can't use a "post switch" and interrupt only one battery in a bank and expect that to accomplish a complete disconnect. With that, I'm done.

Old 03-14-2021, 01:46 PM   #14
blubuckaroo
Gone Traveling

Thanks everyone. I’m going with the post style. The funny thing is, I first went to NAPA and they wanted $46 for one that looked just like the one at Horror Freight for $7. So I bought two from HF. The other I’ll use on my smaller hunting trailer.I figure these are probably made to handle a starter load. My little travel trailer won have near that load.
blubuckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 03:31 PM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubuckaroo View Post
Thanks everyone. I’m going with the post style. The funny thing is, I first went to NAPA and they wanted $46 for one that looked just like the one at Horror Freight for $7. So I bought two from HF. The other I’ll use on my smaller hunting trailer.I figure these are probably made to handle a starter load. My little travel trailer won have near that load.
According to the HF website, the "terminal mounted BCO switch is rated @12 volts, 500 peak/125 continuous amps. A 6 gauge battery cable 2' long will burn up (or melt the insulation) at around 150-200 amps. If you think about the two mini-breakers on the bulkhead crossmember on your trailer, one is 40 amps and the other is 30 amps, so the max that could ever go through the battery cable (and the BCO switch) is 70 amps. That is, unless you wind up with a direct short on the battery cable, and then, you'd be better off if that switch "burned up quicker than the trailer.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 01:00 PM   #16
Urbish

A simple reminder for all involved that your RV battery is likely providing power to your trailer brakes in the event of a trailer separation that involves pulling your emergency cable. If your battery is manually disconnected when you are towing (by switch, terminal removal, whatever), your brakes won't set in a separation. So make sure that battery is connected before you tow!
Urbish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 04:49 PM   #17
Customer1

The reason to switch the positive in any towable is to avoid disabling the breakaway braking system. The breakaway switch is connected to power prior to the disconnect allowing the breakaway to operate regardless of switch position.
Old 03-23-2021, 07:50 PM   #18
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Customer1 View Post
The reason to switch the positive in any towable is to avoid disabling the breakaway braking system. The breakaway switch is connected to power prior to the disconnect allowing the breakaway to operate regardless of switch position.
But to totally disconnect ALL parasitic drains you need to disconnect a battery cable, by doing this you disconnect the breakaway power.
Replacement undetermined
Old 03-24-2021, 05:38 AM   #19
skids

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
But to totally disconnect ALL parasitic drains you need to disconnect a battery cable, by doing this you disconnect the breakaway power.
Fortunately, a lot of campers will want to keep the contents of the refrigerator cold, thereby switching on the battery (and the propane).
Old 03-24-2021, 05:46 AM   #20
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Customer1 View Post
Well if the disconnect is on the negative cable the breakaway will not work as the battery is not grounded, therefore no voltage.

If you really worry about the breakaway, take the positive wire and attach directly to the battery positive post, the breakaway switch is normally open and will NOT create parasitic draw on the battery.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery