Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-11-2021, 10:22 AM   #1
plgamble

valve seal replacement outback 210URS

I need to replace the seals in the black and grey valves. After opening up the underbelly, and pulling the foam away, I see there is no slack in the 3 inch ABS available to create the gap needed for pulling and reinstalling the valve. The tanks appear to be glued or sealed to the pipe, along with hose clamps, so I don't think I want to break that seal. Moving a tan back an inch doesn't seem viable. There is about 3.5 inches of pipe on the gray side, and I see that Valterra sells a 3 inch short rubber coupler, so I would be cutting out however much pipe the rubber coupler allows. Is this the typical solution, or are there other options? Any help would be appreciated!

Phil
plgamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 12:28 PM   #2
travelin texans

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by plgamble View Post
I need to replace the seals in the black and grey valves. After opening up the underbelly, and pulling the foam away, I see there is no slack in the 3 inch ABS available to create the gap needed for pulling and reinstalling the valve. The tanks appear to be glued or sealed to the pipe, along with hose clamps, so I don't think I want to break that seal. Moving a tan back an inch doesn't seem viable. There is about 3.5 inches of pipe on the gray side, and I see that Valterra sells a 3 inch short rubber coupler, so I would be cutting out however much pipe the rubber coupler allows. Is this the typical solution, or are there other options? Any help would be appreciated!

Phil
You do not have to replace the entire valve. There's 4 bolts that sandwich the valve in the middle, remove the bolts, spread the halves a bit & pull the gate valve out. Replace seals, spread the halves & put the gate valve back in. Be sure to lube up the seals & gate with some silicone grease before reassembly.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 12:35 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Danny is right. Only thing I will add is get the right seals. There are 3 choices, Valterra, Valterra BladeX and Bristol.

BladeX will fit either Valterra valve, Bristol requires Bristol seals.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 02:01 PM   #4
plgamble

valve seals

Thanks, guys, I have the correct seals for the Valterra valve. The problem is that there is no spreading available, I have the 4 bolts out, and the valve will spin. If I have to pry to get the valve out, then there is no way to get it back in with the new seals projecting out a little on both sides. There is about 3+ inches of pipe between fittings on the grey side. Is there any problem with cutting out 1 inch of pipe, and using a rubber coupler? Then, every time I replace the seals, I can pick up the needed gap by simply loosening the coupler??? Something like: Valterra F02-2103 Flexible Coupler - 3", except preferably without the stop in the center?? Thanks again for the help!

Phil
Ex-Texan, Richardson and Houston
plgamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 03:39 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

I have used my feet, and on occasion 2 people, but I have only had to cut once on a Class C years ago. It might surprise you how much wiggle room there is if you really pry v

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outback