Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2021, 04:00 AM   #1
jasin1

Ever see one of these?

Are these a thing? Or is it a one-off trailer attachment that wasn’t/ isn’t popular
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CC670B1E-155B-42EE-B7A9-71622D6AF4AB.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	350.3 KB
ID:	32808  
Old 04-05-2021, 04:21 AM   #2
RickV

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Are these a thing? Or is it a one-off trailer attachment that wasn’t/ isn’t popular
I believe they are called Swivel Wheels. I checked into em once so I could take my Gas Golf Cart with us. The ones I checked into attached to the frame. I thought since it has not a hitch persay that it would not be considered triple hauling which is illegal in Florida. I contacted the DOT Police and was told by a Captain that they still considered it triple hauling and that she wished it wasn't because she was a RV'er too and they had to take a separate vehicle and trailer to take their Golf Cart.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 04:41 AM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

jasin1 I think you're going to wear out that search button on your computer! Never seen one in person but have seen photos. They were fairly pricey IIRC.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 04:43 AM   #4
notanlines

We see a few traveling, some one wheel and some 2 wheels.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 05:00 AM   #5
RickV

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
We see a few traveling, some one wheel and some 2 wheels.
Yeah, I was looking at the two wheeler had more capacity and it actually could be folded up when you didn't need it.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
Old 04-05-2021, 05:05 AM   #6
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
jasin1 I think you're going to wear out that search button on your computer! Never seen one in person but have seen photos. They were fairly pricey IIRC.
Yeah I know, family member showed me pic during dinner yesterday ..guess you could put a tpms on it as well?
Old 04-05-2021, 05:10 AM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Yeah I know, family member showed me pic during dinner yesterday ..guess you could put a tpms on it as well?
Yup! Juist add another sensor.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 05:53 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

The manufacturer still advertises these as "legal in every state" (sort of like Andersen says "you don't need safety chains with their hitch")....

It's not up to the manufacturer to interpret state law, it's up to the judges in those states and quiet often, the manufacturer is wrong..... FLAT WRONG.....

Polaris went through much the same thing with the Slingshot. Is it a "motorcycle" or is it a "3 wheel car" or is it an "autocycle" ??? Every state had to make the determination and they aren't all the same. Drive across a state line and the rules change... For us, every state will recognize our "license to operate" based on Michigan law, but wearing a helmet is still based on the law where we are physically located. Some require it, some don't care and some say it's optional. Up until a couple years ago, there were three (I believe) states that said, "If you drive that thing in our state, we'll impound it and arrest you for operating an illegal vehicle on the public roads". In other words, they said, "Keep out, that thing is not welcome in our state"...

It's the same with this "version of a trailer"...

Here's what one manufacturer has to say about "triple towing":

A frequent question asked is if the Swivelwheel system is legal to tow in all states. There are basically 22 states that do not allow double trailer towing, which some call "Triple Towing". These states are the entire east coast from Maine to Florida, Oregon and Washington. We consider the system an extension of the fifth wheel chassis frame. We do not consider it a trailer. The system cannot jackknife or fishtail. It is not like another ball mounted trailer swinging from side to side. Some states may not have that same view. Always check with the states that you are traveling through for details.
http://www.cruiserlift.com/swivelwhe...ngRequirements

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 07:30 AM   #9
RickV

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The manufacturer still advertises these as "legal in every state" (sort of like Andersen says "you don't need safety chains with their hitch")....

It's not up to the manufacturer to interpret state law, it's up to the judges in those states and quiet often, the manufacturer is wrong..... FLAT WRONG.....

Polaris went through much the same thing with the Slingshot. Is it a "motorcycle" or is it a "3 wheel car" or is it an "autocycle" ??? Every state had to make the determination and they aren't all the same. Drive across a state line and the rules change... For us, every state will recognize our "license to operate" based on Michigan law, but wearing a helmet is still based on the law where we are physically located. Some require it, some don't care and some say it's optional. Up until a couple years ago, there were three (I believe) states that said, "If you drive that thing in our state, we'll impound it and arrest you for operating an illegal vehicle on the public roads". In other words, they said, "Keep out, that thing is not welcome in our state"...

It's the same with this "version of a trailer"...

Here's what one manufacturer has to say about "triple towing":

A frequent question asked is if the Swivelwheel system is legal to tow in all states. There are basically 22 states that do not allow double trailer towing, which some call "Triple Towing". These states are the entire east coast from Maine to Florida, Oregon and Washington. We consider the system an extension of the fifth wheel chassis frame. We do not consider it a trailer. The system cannot jackknife or fishtail. It is not like another ball mounted trailer swinging from side to side. Some states may not have that same view. Always check with the states that you are traveling through for details.
http://www.cruiserlift.com/swivelwhe...ngRequirements
👍 Like I said in my post I actually called the Florida DOT Police and they said "Nyet" it is triple hauling.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
Old 04-05-2021, 08:21 AM   #10
BrooksFam

My father in law had one of those back in the 60's. I have not seen many used.
EAZ-Lift Recurve R3 #1200

BrooksFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 08:29 AM   #11
travelin texans

The biggest issue I suspect, no 1st hand experience, is the increased tail swing!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 03:42 PM   #12
jasin1

Lots of gray areas with this one.. think I will pass. Would like something for more storage but this doesn’t look like a good idea
Old 04-06-2021, 03:51 AM   #13
notanlines

For those of you with deep pockets (or a loose Visa) here is where you start:
https://www.cruiserlifts.com/collect...nsport-systems
$6000 will set you up nicely!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 06:31 PM   #14
Ken / Claudia

Yea, beleive the company who built and consider it to be X but the state laws might say its Y.
Oregon says it must be permanently attached to not be considered another vehicle. That's a very high bar to get over, being a vehicle has many restrictions.
About 15 years ago a person who happened to be a fire fighter brought forth a triple tow law in Oregon. I cannot remember if it got through committee to get a house vote or not. I read the law and felt it was a good one, I beleive the State Police supported it, but it never got passed. It takes a good friend in the state house or lots of money to get a law passed even a traffic one. Not many will take the time or money to try it.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 07:51 AM   #15
Rndlrsn

Idaho tote

A two wheel version was found as an Idaho Tote. Check youtube Watts on Wheels
Rndlrsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 08:05 AM   #16
UKLimey

Interesting - yesterday here in Florida I saw a double wheeled one on a 5er. It had a motorcycle on it. If illegal in Florida, they were either unaware or didn't care!
Our Website
UKLimey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 09:03 AM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKLimey View Post
Interesting - yesterday here in Florida I saw a double wheeled one on a 5er. It had a motorcycle on it. If illegal in Florida, they were either unaware or didn't care!
I know of several people who double tow (motorcycle on a separate trailer) behind their fifth wheel "regularly" in the southeast. It's illegal in Georgia, Alabama and Florida, but they "choose to ignore the law" and tow their motorcycle behind their trailer in those states....

They do not report ever having any issues "breaking the law" and plan to do the same thing this month on their "exit from Florida" as well as in the fall when they "return to their winter living spot just south of Orlando"....

Most people I know aren't "stoopid", and I'd suspect the person you saw isn't either.... That leaves your latter explanation: Didn't care....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-15-2021, 10:04 AM   #18
wesaysoracing

Looks like a tag axle to me to spread the load out
wesaysoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 10:25 AM   #19
UKLimey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I know of several people who double tow (motorcycle on a separate trailer) behind their fifth wheel "regularly" in the southeast. It's illegal in Georgia, Alabama and Florida, but they "choose to ignore the law" and tow their motorcycle behind their trailer in those states....

They do not report ever having any issues "breaking the law" and plan to do the same thing this month on their "exit from Florida" as well as in the fall when they "return to their winter living spot just south of Orlando"....

Most people I know aren't "stoopid", and I'd suspect the person you saw isn't either.... That leaves your latter explanation: Didn't care....
I lived in Colorado for 30 years and towed double all the time - 5er and 17ft ski boat. No problem driving through the Rockies. I towed that rig for about 10,000 miles. When I moved to Florida had to leave the boat behind due to the eastern states towing laws. Meant I had to do a round trip back to Colorado just to get the boat. Still wish I could tow double in Florida but I respect the law. That is why I was surprised to see the 5er with the double tow a few days ago.
Our Website
UKLimey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 10:48 AM   #20
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKLimey View Post
I lived in Colorado for 30 years and towed double all the time - 5er and 17ft ski boat. No problem driving through the Rockies. I towed that rig for about 10,000 miles. When I moved to Florida had to leave the boat behind due to the eastern states towing laws. Meant I had to do a round trip back to Colorado just to get the boat. Still wish I could tow double in Florida but I respect the law. That is why I was surprised to see the 5er with the double tow a few days ago.
Same with me. I "sort of" stay out of the southeast for that very reason. We double tow through Tennessee, Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas and areas north and west of those states. As much as we would like to spend the winter in Key West (at the naval air station) it's not worth risking the trip with both trailers and not worth the hassle of making two trips from Moss Point, MS to get everything to Key West.... So, we "winter somewhere else"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS