Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2021, 06:56 AM   #1
AJ21

2021 cougar

We just bought this 2021 cougar and before we even went on our first trip (currently coming home now from 3 day trip which is our first one) we have had these problems.
1) self leveling system won’t work
2) refrigerator doesn’t work
3) fresh water tank fill hose wasn’t even connected
4) shower wall wasn’t connected to the wall

Then as we right now are on the road back from our first trip we had these issues
1) leak in roof in the bathroom
2) USB ports don’t work
3) black water lever is apparently not connected so we can’t empty the tank.

Has anyone else has all these issues before even using their camper? I contacted camping word head quarters and they basically just say well tell the next person in line and call you back.
I even called Keystone and I’m still waiting for that call

Please help....
AJ21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 07:14 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Sounds like you didn't have them do a PDI and do a walk through test out of all systems - you should have. You are also contacting the wrong people. CW headquarters and Keystone won't have anything to do with your issues. They will have to be resolved between the dealer and yourself. Virtually all new trailers have issues but between the dealer and new owner should be found prior to taking delivery.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 07:29 AM   #3
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ21 View Post
We just bought this 2021 cougar and before we even went on our first trip (currently coming home now from 3 day trip which is our first one) we have had these problems.

Then as we right now are on the road back from our first trip we had these issues
2) USB ports don’t work

Has anyone else has all these issues before even using their camper? I contacted camping word head quarters and they basically just say well tell the next person in line and call you back.

Please help....
Sounds like someone didn't do a PDI... see your dealer, that's who is responsible..
Old 03-29-2021, 07:34 AM   #4
AJ21

Did it

Camping world told us they did a service tech walk through and that our sales person did as well. They showed us around the camper but rushed us through that process and said everything was good. This being our first time I didn’t realize that I needed to run water over the roof and see if it leaked. I didn’t know I should have asked them to put water in the fresh water tank to see if it leaked. Or pull the drain levers to see if they were connected.....etc
And I bought it from camping world so they are my dealer. And the store manager has changed since we bought it and our sales person is no longer there either. So I took it to their Corp office.

I understand there maybe a few small issues but not these big ones
AJ21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 07:52 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

The roof leak would be an anomaly that you wouldn't find prior to taking possession. The rest should have been. For future reference there is a sticky with a pre delivery inspection checklist on the forum you can use if you buy another trailer at some point.

Changing of the guard at the dealership presents a problem to you as the buyer. Hopefully the new folks will be responsible, and responsive, to your situation. In CW there are several routes to take at the dealership. The top dog will be the GM then there will be a service manager and sales manager. Your salesman disappears from the picture after you buy the unit for all intents and purposes. You need to get to know the service manager....yesterday. You also need to find their best service advisor to work with going forward. Realize the SAs come and go, hopefully the SM was there when you bought the unit and still is. Your resolution will come at the dealership level. Keystone will point you in that direction and CW corporate will as well.

And one more discouraging thought; be prepared to be without the trailer for quite some time with that extensive of a list and with all the material shortages still going on and the backup on work due to the time of year and all the new trailers being sold. Another reason to make sure everything is working before taking off with a new trailer - it sitting on the dealer's lot for months waiting on repairs.
Old 03-29-2021, 07:58 AM   #6
Gegrad

Quote:
Camping world told us they did a service tech walk through and that our sales person did as well. They showed us around the camper but rushed us through that process and said everything was good. This being our first time I didn’t realize that I needed to run water over the roof and see if it leaked. I didn’t know I should have asked them to put water in the fresh water tank to see if it leaked. Or pull the drain levers to see if they were connected.....etc
And I bought it from camping world so they are my dealer. And the store manager has changed since we bought it and our sales person is no longer there either. So I took it to their Corp office.

I understand there maybe a few small issues but not these big ones
Yeah, so you didn't do the PDI, that was the mistake. You yourself have to turn every knob, check every outlet, check every function, inspect the roof yourself. Usually takes 4 hours to do a proper one on a trailer your size, 6 or more on a larger trailer. Running water over the roof is not usually a SOP, but looking over the entire roof surface to inspect all the sealant is a SOP for the buyer. It's ok, it was a learning experience and now you will know for next time! We have all been there. Now you just have to get the dealer to make things right, which is usually the hardest part. Good luck on it, and I am sorry to hear of your troubles right off the bat.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 08:17 AM   #7
Javi

Several of the problems sound as if they could be as simple as a dead battery...
The fridge depends on whether it is a residential or RV style.
Old 03-29-2021, 08:23 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

When you "drill down" to the actual problem, the guy with the tools in his hand let you down and failed to perform a proper PDI on your trailer. From there, we can "work up the food chain" blaming everyone who failed to supervise him properly, failed to allot adequate time in scheduling, fail to (add any reason)....

Bottom line is that "none of that is Keystone's fault and none (to very little) of that is CW corporate office's fault... It lies directly with the management at that specific CW location.... From your comment that the general manager and the salesman are no longer there, it appears that CW corporate offices also recognized a problem and took action to resolve what they viewed as an issue... That might be an entirely different issue, but they (CW) took action with problems....

Right now, with a "new GM" is likely to be your best time to approach the "new managment" and give them a "stern talking to" complete with the facts, documentation and expectations that you want accomplished on YOUR trailer.... I would advise against the "whole concept approach" and focus specifically on YOUR problems and YOUR acceptable resolution....

While CW corporate offices and Keystone Trailer Company "should have done better", the fact remains that it's up to the local selling dealer to inspect and deliver a trailer to the customer that meets the customer's expectations....

The local CW is who failed to do that.... Blame them and demand they fix your trailer.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 09:05 AM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

If the GM has been replaced by CW, he is a guy you need to get off on the fight foot with. I'm training(ed) my 4th one at my CW. When they come in they know there was a reason and they are going to try to be taking steps to improve whatever they thought was wrong. I've had 2 that were very receptive and wanted to help, and did. I've had 2 that (1) didn't want anyone to tell him what to do and the other (2) wanted to play golf and never see a customer; they're both gone.

Those that want to help will listen unless you turn them off with rants, unreasonable demands etc. You want them to listen but you will need to listen to them as well. Don't take excuses. Be polite but firm. Make sure they know your displeasure (politely), you expectations and just as importantly, your disappointment in their dealership. Then work toward a reasonable resolution for everyone. Good luck.
Old 03-29-2021, 12:32 PM   #10
wiredgeorge

Lots of conjecture about why the staff turnover occurred but just conjecture. Found some interesting employee reviews at:
https://www.indeed.com/cmp/Camping-World/reviews

Not all bad and I will say that folks who review a place they work at generally will have negative things to say while happy employees are just that, happy. If I had that Cougar with those issues, would schedule an appointment with the GM of the selling dealership and see if they would stand up for the issues as their dealership sold the camper. Most folks are reasonable so a reasonable tone would likely not make the meeting confrontational. And for those that blame the OP for no walk through... well, it is a first time buyer. How would a first time buyer know to do a walk through and what to look for?
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 02:44 PM   #11
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Lots of conjecture about why the staff turnover occurred but just conjecture. Found some interesting employee reviews at:
https://www.indeed.com/cmp/Camping-World/reviews

Not all bad and I will say that folks who review a place they work at generally will have negative things to say while happy employees are just that, happy. If I had that Cougar with those issues, would schedule an appointment with the GM of the selling dealership and see if they would stand up for the issues as their dealership sold the camper. Most folks are reasonable so a reasonable tone would likely not make the meeting confrontational. And for those that blame the OP for no walk through... well, it is a first time buyer. How would a first time buyer know to do a walk through and what to look for?
Well I wouldn't trust my mom if she was trying to sell me something. I sure ain't trusting someone I don't know trying to sell me something he don't own.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 03:27 PM   #12
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Well I wouldn't trust my mom if she was trying to sell me something. I sure ain't trusting someone I don't know trying to sell me something he don't own.
Keep in mind the mentality of 1st time buyers; they have bought brand new cars in the past and just sign and go. Most never have a problem when buying a car. The poor OP learned the RV trust lesson I suspect and I suspect he, like most 1st time RV buyers thought the buying experience would be akin to a car buying experience. 1st time RVing is a learning experience and education has its costs.
Old 03-30-2021, 06:49 AM   #13
Weldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post

We definitely didn't drop as much $$ as the OP on our 1st (and current) TT. Five years ago, we started small (with a $100 2-room tent). I wanted to see if our small kids (3 & 5) enjoyed the outdoors as much as me and the Mrs. After a few backyard nights (and chiropractor sessions), we quickly upgraded to a PUP, but I'm not counting that as our 1st camper. We paid $500 cash for it, and completely remodeled it. After using the heck out the PUP, we decided to sell it and buy our current TT. I now realize that we got very lucky.
Our dealer was small...the SM was the GM, his daughter was the receptionist, and the son-in-law was the mechanic. Great reviews online. Maybe 10 TT's and 6 or 7 5'ers on his lot. Thankfully he gave us a pre-delivery checklist and only 2 issues were uncovered, which he fixed.

He also resealed the roof the day before we took delivery, and ran water over the outside while we were there to check for leaks. Over a year later, the only additional thing I found was a dead USB outlet, which I easily replaced. Thanks to a few PMs, this forum, and (unfortunately) bad experiences like the current OPs, I've hopefully learned what I had no clue about for our first (used) purchase, and what to look for when we upgrade our TT and TV in the next couple years.
Weldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 07:15 AM   #14
bigguy0602

The roof leak in the bathroom is most likely from the skylight. Had this problem with my new Cougar 22brs. I found out from this forum that Keystone had problems with the supplier of these and they were cracking at the corners when installed. Everything else has been great. Love the trailer.
bigguy0602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 07:23 AM   #15
KeystoneKal

Sounds like the “China Syndrome”. Build em cheap and fast to meet demand. If the customer has problems with the product they’ll eventually be fixed if he can find someone who takes responsibility.
KeystoneKal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 07:31 AM   #16
rlh1957

Quote:

2) USB ports don’t work

Please help....
And no-one noticed any of this at the PDI?

Can’t believe this is a new RV.
Sounds like you bought a sight unseen, as is rig!

I’d be headed back to dealer and camp in their driveway before they open,
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 07:53 AM   #17
MarvnMabel

Don't even start

Our 25RES just spent 7 months back at the dealer after one season. Keystone actually flew out to meet with us as they knew by the size of the binder we are preparing a legal fight. Honestly, not thinking everything got resolved. Just picked it up.
Have to agree your PDI was either rushed or forgotten? Good luck!
MarvnMabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 08:28 AM   #18
Mikelff

First mistake, you bought from Camping World. The one in Denton Tx has gone through more than 5 GM in a year. Had one decent service rep that I worked with before covid. The second experience was horrible, she was rude, no communication, and didn’t give a rats a!* about you. Don't go there anymore. They called me once to try to sell me a new RV. I spoke with the (new again) GM. Told him my experience. He apologized and said he was changing the (culture) for better customer experience. I told him good luck with that and I would never be back and bet him he wouldn’t last a year. I haven’t been back, he didn't last 6 months.
The other posts about working with the dealer are correct. Keystone will do little to help without going through the dealer. DOCUMENT EVERYTHING IN WRITING and dated and submit to your dealer. Get the email of all the service people and managers you speak with and follow up all telephone conversations with conformation emails so you have a “paper trail”. No he said she said. With a new trailer, this should all be warranty work. Be prepared to be without your trailer for a few months. FOLLOW UP on a regular basis. Don't assume anything. As others have said, be polite but firm and let them know, politely, your expectations. If yours are unrealistic, they will tell you, and you will be able to remind them what they committed to. If you have to go to CW corporate you have documentation you can send them and that seems to help get things moving. Hope you can get your issues resolved quickly.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 08:48 AM   #19
wiredgeorge

In case anyone cares about the original post, the OP hasn't been back on the forum since posting his complaint. The other comments probably are useful for anyone contemplating purchase of a plague-built camper from any manufacturer. I think the biggest take away is that while the sales person may be friendly and slick, you best check the camper out before you buy and not rely on any dealership to do this for you. It is easier to get them to fix what ain't been signed on the dotted line for than after you take the camper home for a few weeks.
Old 04-04-2021, 09:32 AM   #20
Apalinto

Agree with PDI issues noted by all but somewhere in the future, RV manufacturers and Dealers will need to address the quality of their products. I have heard of high end half a million dollar units being plagued with quality control issues. Consumers, on the other hand, need to brace themselves to expect shoddy workmanship and dealers who want your money and want you off of their lots in a hurry. In today's RV world, you are almost better off getting the best pricing and then building in the cost of sorting out all the defects using whatever means available. No black tank flush valve isn't something you wait 2 weeks for a warranty appointment. Hang in there AJ21!
Bulletproof Powerstroke 6.0 Turbo Diesel
2019 Cougar 315 RLS
Apalinto is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar