Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2021, 09:00 AM   #1
ratowles

Full Timing with cat and dog

We will be full timing this summer with our cat and dog. Any helpful tips and suggestions would be appreciated.

We plan to kennel them in the travel trailer while we are on the road. We only average 4 to 6 hours when we are traveling between campsites and stop religiously every two hours.

Comments/concerns?
ratowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 09:13 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

We travel with a cat, but I wouldn’t even consider putting him in the trailer while traveling, It’s a popcorn popper going down the road. When we went coast to coast in ‘09 my cat sat in the back seat on an ice chest happy and just watched the scenery.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 09:32 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

If the pets can't ride in the vehicle they shouldn't go. Inside the trailer is like a constant earthquake, I wouldn't dream of putting an animal I loved in there. All that is beside the fact of the extreme temps they will be subjected to. Animal cruelty??
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 09:40 AM   #4
ratowles

Good input. I hadn't considered the issues inside the trailer. We had a motorhome previously, which is obviously very different. We will put them in the tow vehicle. If that doesn't work out well, we will go back to a motorhome. Thanks, I know I could count on this forum to give us the correct information.
ratowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 09:44 AM   #5
Javi

Put the cat in a carrier in the back seat and let the dog lay down in the back seat... Our dog would pee in my cheerios if I tried to put him in the 5th wheel while we traveled
Old 03-10-2021, 10:12 AM   #6
travelin texans

Hopefully this is not you!
We live in 55+ (old enough to know better) rv resort that at least once a month the management has to post signs & send out emails informing pet owners that they must pickup after their pets, even if walking on the desert trails around the park.
I've also read park reviews that folks gave very nice rv parks poor reviews because "they didn't offer FREE dog poop bags".
I also agree with others, don't travel with pets in the trailer, motorhome is perfectly fine.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 11:18 AM   #7
ADQ K9

Not a full timer and we had to put the cat down last summer. But I would recommend bringing along some of the pets stuff to help them to adapt to the new home. Blanket toys Cat nip etc.
Connected by a Curt 15K WDH W/Sway Control
ADQ K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 11:37 AM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

When it comes to pets and travel the biggest misteak is making the pets first experience the day you leave for a long trip. Introduce them with short rides at first and then extend the time. Most animals will aclimate just fine as long as their "only ride isn't a yearly one to the vet".
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 11:45 AM   #9
dutchmensport

We travel with a cat and 2 dogs. Our cat get's horrible car sickness. He vomits and poops all over everything in the vehicle. He get's himself so worked up and horrified to see things moving outside the window.

For 8 years we could only travel with the cat in the camper. We put his litter pan in the shower, closed the door (glass door) and locked him in. He would sit in his litter pan the entire journey. We tried moving the litter pan to the truck, but he was so hysterical, we had to put him back in the camper, where he seems much more happy. He does love the camper ... really.

Fast forward to our current fifth wheel, and our shower door cannot be fastened shut. I can be fastened open when traveling. We ended up getting a soft foldable wire and cloth pet carrier and put the litter pan in the pet carrier. Now, this he loved. We continued putting him in the fifth wheel when traveling. We always had a portable themometer in the trailer to monitor heat and cold. And we never let him ride when the temps were extreme inside.

Just recently we found out we could take that soft wire-fabric carrier with the litter pan and put it on the floor of the back seat of the truck, and he rode just fine! We've been doing it that way ever since.

Our cat is not afraid of the camper and traveling in it. At the beginning he would just lay down on the bed and when we came back in when stopped, he was still laying on the bed ... except he also vomited everywhere and pooped everywhere. So, that's why we had to contain him in a small space where he could not see motion occuring.

For us, we now have good solution. But it took 10 years of trial and error to get there.

He loves the camper. At home, he sits on the camper steps until we let him in. He lives in the camper more than the house. We have a permanent litter box in there for him and feed him inside the camper, Summer and Winter.

FYI, The dogs love the camper too. Absolutely no problems with them traveling:

How's this for adjusting to "camping mode"?

Old 03-10-2021, 02:59 PM   #10
notanlines

"He loves the camper. At home, he sits on the camper steps until we let him in. He lives in the camper more than the house. We have a permanent litter box in there for him and feed him inside the camper, Summer and Winter."
David, Brenda (DW) said this describes me to a T! (But I don't poop on the bed)
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 04:29 PM   #11
wiredgeorge

The interesting thing about camper for sale ads is most claim never had anyone smoke or had pets in the camper being sold. When we go to ANY park, I am guessing the majority of folks have critters; you don't see the cats but you do see the dogs as they require getting out and about to obey the call of nature.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 04:58 AM   #12
Fishsizzle

Those struggle with pets getting nervous or travel sickness, ask your veterinarian about Benadryl. Been a life saver for us over the years.

Takes the edge off and is a mild sedative that helps them sleep.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	497ADC15-C3E5-4DB3-B376-7F2CD6C58B61.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	352.5 KB
ID:	32472  
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 05:12 AM   #13
chuckster57
Site Team

When we went cross country with my cat in ‘09, we gave him 1/4 Benadryl per our vet. Poor thing, we thought he was dead for a day and a half. Current cat gets nervous and then lays next to me and if I pet him he’s ok. No meds anymore, but if it works for you great.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 03-16-2021, 06:06 AM   #14
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
When we went cross country with my cat in ‘09, we gave him 1/4 Benadryl per our vet. Poor thing, we thought he was dead for a day and a half. Current cat gets nervous and then lays next to me and if I pet him he’s ok. No meds anymore, but if it works for you great.

^^^^When puppy found us she had been severely abused and was nervous and scared about everything including travel. She would shake so hard she couldn't stand up and get sick. When she was 3 (she was 2 mos. when she came to us) we asked the vet about it and he gave us some drug (I've forgotten the name) and said it would "relax her and take the edge off".

We drove to Santa Fe (about 6 hours) and it didn't seem to have an effect. We got out to go into the motel and she literally fell down and could not climb the stairs. Once in the room she just collapsed on the floor and laid there. We were terrified and found an emergency vet clinic. The doc there said she had been overdosed with the drug and only time would tell if she made it - just watch her and if all was well she would come out of it. By morning she was better. We have never given her anything again other than the liver supplement she takes every other day.

As far as the nervous/sickness, now after going on 11 years, she doesn't get sick or shake. She does however sit on the console tethered (all 50lbs.) and watch the road/vehicles like a hawk from the time we start until we stop - she will not lay down. She does not like rain, rain puddles, large trucks/trailer in front of us and a plethora of other things. When she sees things like that she starts ducking her head a bit, tapping me on the arm with her paw, looks at me...up at whatever it is that she doesn't like and then back to met to make sure I'm aware of the "danger" I guess.

All that to just say that in our situation time is what helped pup get over the totally alien experience of riding in a vehicle and that if you give your animal some sort of drug, vet prescribed or not, be very careful.
Old 03-16-2021, 06:28 AM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

Danny,

Sounds like she is "quite the co-pilot"... Now if you could just get her to figure out how to operate that 12" screen in the dash.......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 07:20 AM   #16
Fishsizzle

This is why we have blood work drawn on our dogs every year. We know exactly where every pup is at. Being in the dog biz affords us a lot of contact with local vets and their personal numbers when traveling to get meds/Vets. We are spoiled in that regard I’ll admit.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	37D03EA9-4B5B-4BCE-A15D-1AFE489A4E6C.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	257.5 KB
ID:	32476  
2020 F350 Crew DRW 6.7, 4x4, 10 sod auto, 4:10 gears
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 09:39 AM   #17
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Danny,

Sounds like she is "quite the co-pilot"... Now if you could just get her to figure out how to operate that 12" screen in the dash.......

Funny you mention that. Of course that big screen is right in front of her and always on. I don't listen to radio much anymore but I keep it turned on a SiriusXM channel or on nav anyway. When she decides she can take a break from being a co-pilot (guess she thinks I can handle it for a minute or two) she stares at that screen and if it changes, or the little arrow on the nav moves along the highway on the screen, she perks her ears, cocks her head and then looks at me like - "did you see that"?
Old 03-16-2021, 10:48 AM   #18
chuckster57
Site Team

On the highway, “Max” will lay on the seat between the DW and I, and if he feels the need he will move over next to me. In town is different, he wants so see everything. Favorite trick is to sit on my lap and put his paws on the top of the steering wheel. I will use my knee to keep in my lane and wave as people pass and gawk thinking he is driving

Old 03-16-2021, 03:27 PM   #19
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
^^^^When puppy found us she had been severely abused and was nervous and scared about everything including travel. She would shake so hard she couldn't stand up and get sick. When she was 3 (she was 2 mos. when she came to us) we asked the vet about it and he gave us some drug (I've forgotten the name) and said it would "relax her and take the edge off".

We drove to Santa Fe (about 6 hours) and it didn't seem to have an effect. We got out to go into the motel and she literally fell down and could not climb the stairs. Once in the room she just collapsed on the floor and laid there. We were terrified and found an emergency vet clinic. The doc there said she had been overdosed with the drug and only time would tell if she made it - just watch her and if all was well she would come out of it. By morning she was better. We have never given her anything again other than the liver supplement she takes every other day.

As far as the nervous/sickness, now after going on 11 years, she doesn't get sick or shake. She does however sit on the console tethered (all 50lbs.) and watch the road/vehicles like a hawk from the time we start until we stop - she will not lay down. She does not like rain, rain puddles, large trucks/trailer in front of us and a plethora of other things. When she sees things like that she starts ducking her head a bit, tapping me on the arm with her paw, looks at me...up at whatever it is that she doesn't like and then back to met to make sure I'm aware of the "danger" I guess.

All that to just say that in our situation time is what helped pup get over the totally alien experience of riding in a vehicle and that if you give your animal some sort of drug, vet prescribed or not, be very careful.
Sounds like you have a “forward collision avoidance” and a “security system” in a 50 lb package...we watch my sons red heeler while he is at work almost everyday and when he is away for work about 5-6 months a year.. I’ve grown attached to the big meathead ...he’s a pretty smart dog with a lot of personality.
He’s explaining to me it’s time to eat and I’m late
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	7D679126-B25F-4DE4-887A-FB46CFF1F355.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	266.6 KB
ID:	32488  
Old 03-17-2021, 03:00 AM   #20
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishsizzle View Post
This is why we have blood work drawn on our dogs every year. We know exactly where every pup is at. Being in the dog biz affords us a lot of contact with local vets and their personal numbers when traveling to get meds/Vets. We are spoiled in that regard I’ll admit.
I'm not understanding how you know where the dogs are by drawing blood.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote