Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 02-03-2021, 07:45 AM   #1
sourdough
Site Team

NOW is the time....for camping!

Killing some time on a cold FL morning so......

We all know that RV ownership is exploding due to the current situation. New folks buying their first RVs which means they are "learning" on the road. Which brings me to the title of this thread and some observations. Now is truly the time to get out and just watch those in the campground - it's better than TLC and Discovery channels rolled into one!

Had 2 new campers pull in next to me a couple days ago; first time ownership, first trip. Setting up was interesting to watch as neither of them knew what went where. Every day they are trying to figure out something.

Hooking up the one next to me tried to turn on the water - water flooded out of the water heater door. Perplexed he turned it off and opened the door, picked up the anode rod and looked at it quizzically. Got a crescent and and tried to tighten it. I got a socket for it and he got it. Next they had no sewer hose; just some oddball parts piece parted together. Nothing for the threaded sewer inlet - they were stumped. I had various fittings to go into the sewer inlet but the end of the sewer hose had some kind of fitting not meant for a normal RV connection so none of them worked. They just pitched the hose on the ground and I went inside. I will note that neither had gloves. As I watched the owner decided to attach the sewer hose to the trailer...... Pulled off the sewer cap and brownish/orange water gushed out . He couldn't stop it so sat there on his knees with the cap pushed up against the end of the pipe as the mess continued to flow and leave him in a pool of yuk. Now I'm not making this up! Went out as they were trying to again figure out what to do with the sewer end of the hose and they said they were going to just stick it in the sewer pipe. I told them that was a no no and just go to Walmart or Camping World and get the proper attachments. As of today the end of the hose is stuck into the sewer pipe just hanging there. Today they dumped as one guy held his foot on the end in the sewer pipe and the other pulled the dump valve....THEN the owner disconnected his fresh water line, put it in the black tank flush and turned it on. Sat there for a bit and water began to spew back out of the convenience center and connections. He calmly (no gloves) disconnected from the black tank flush and reconnected to the city inlet and turned on the water. I'm sitting drinking my coffee waiting for him to return with his LP tank that was a mystery to him as he figured out the operation and how to get it in his truck bed with a cover on it.....

Across the way 2 motorhomes pulled in yesterday obviously traveling together. Right off the bat they locked themselves out of both motorhomes, tried to get out of the van and set off the alarm and didn't know how to turn it off for a LONG time. Finally got it off, started to get out again and set it off again....what?

This morning they must have run out of propane. Had no earthly idea where the tank was or what to do with it. Spent quite a while on the phone as someone instructed them on what to do, which was apparently take it to an LP supplier somewhere, so they decided to pick up stakes to take it in. By now it was obvious they did not own these motorhomes and had either borrowed them or rented them.

As they tried to get prepared to leave it took the longest for them to figure out how to get the slides in, pull things away from the RV etc. They then decided to take off...WHOOPS! with a grinding scraping noise they stopped; a guy walking his dog behind them began waving and pointing....they had not pulled up the levelers! One of them got out, crawled under each corner as they attempted to raise them I guess, finally got up and shrugged his shoulders and started to get in. The guy with the dog began pointing up top - they had left the antenna up. The guy went inside and I guess tried to bring it down but didn't know how (but they had raised it, right?). Finally another guy got on the roof and began pushing and pulling on the antenna. He then took some tools up and.....PULLED THE ANTENNA OFF!

I won't bore you with more observations as this is already too long but as my title suggested this may be the best time ever to just get out and entertain yourself at the RV park! I've turned my dinette chairs facing the door side windows, turned off the TV and just keep watching trying not to fall in the floor laughing. Oh wait, they just returned with the motorhome with I'm assuming a new tank of propane and.....they are locked out of the 2nd motorhome, standing around and on the phone asking for guidance again I suppose. Who needs TLC or Discovery???
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 07:56 AM   #2
Brantel

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Who needs TLC or Discovery???
Brantel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 10:29 AM   #3
GaryUT

I will offer suggestions or help someone who is struggling with a new RV, we were all newbies at one point.

Most of the time they are glad for the help or advice, the ones that brush me off and continue the struggle can be entertaining.

Gary

2019 Laredo 255SRL
2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab
GaryUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 10:59 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryUT View Post
I will offer suggestions or help someone who is struggling with a new RV, we were all newbies at one point.

Most of the time they are glad for the help or advice, the ones that brush me off and continue the struggle can be entertaining.

Gary

I agree completely. I always try to help and offer anything I can. It's after you make that 2nd trip over and they look at you like "what's that guy doing here again" that you begin to feel like you are imposing more than helping so.....I just watch and shake my head unless I see something bad coming.
Old 02-03-2021, 12:05 PM   #5
jsb5717

You're right...it can be very entertaining, even hilarious! We've sat and watched many, many rookies over the years. Have also helped quite a few if they are open to it. Some are very grateful, some just embarrassed. Others want to do it themselves...and the entertainment begins.

Danny, you just had a front row seat to some really good ones. You should have been videoing so you could share!
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 12:17 PM   #6
BrooksFam

Yep, had to lend a hand to the first timers a few times myself. As boaters we will sit in the boat just off the boat ramp/dock sometimes and watch the craziness that goes on there also, good times...…….
EAZ-Lift Recurve R3 #1200

BrooksFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 01:05 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb5717 View Post
You're right...it can be very entertaining, even hilarious! We've sat and watched many, many rookies over the years. Have also helped quite a few if they are open to it. Some are very grateful, some just embarrassed. Others want to do it themselves...and the entertainment begins.

Danny, you just had a front row seat to some really good ones. You should have been videoing so you could share!

Like Gary said, we were all new at one time and had our "first" experience. For us we learned by ourselves because I was never really in close proximity to other trailers. The ones beside us now are a combination of embarrassed and want to do it by themselves I think since there are two of them. I even offered to do a quick walk around with them to show what's what but they declined. After that I just watch in the event I'm needed and shake my head. The motorhomes are across the road and not really where I can casually see if they need anything. 2 class A diesel pushers, obviously loaned or rented, with 2 guys in one and a guy and gal in the other, not one appears to be over 25. Someone either has a lot of trust or a lot of insurance.
Old 02-03-2021, 02:43 PM   #8
notanlines

And I suppose we should all be more than willing to loan our RV's and TV's to children, friends, etc? Uh huh, just as soon as I grow air on my head and start to drink Coors Light....
As Brooks said, one of the most entertaining is the boat ramp early in the season.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 03:03 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

A friend that's had a cabin "up here for years" (but never spent a winter in this area) recently retired. This past weekend I spent most of Saturday helping him dig his 4wd truck (with street tires) out of a snowbank in the middle of a corn field. There's a "summer road" through the field, we all use it "IN JULY" but everyone up here knows not to even attempt to find that dirt road in January when it's under 3' of snow drifts.

As we were digging, blowing and hooking chains up to his bumper and my tractor, he said he was thinking about buying himself a Honda Goldwing "as a retirement gift to himself"... I asked him if he's ever rode a cycle... His response, "The dealership said they would help me get my motorcycle endorsement".... Today, he sent me a photo from the dealership in Alpena... Yep, a pretty silver/gray 2018 GW.... And he's never had his butt on a MC seat, even behind someone who knows how to ride....

So, "it happens" not only with noobies and RV's, but also noobies and MC's...

Heaven help his wife when April gets here.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 04:08 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
A friend that's had a cabin "up here for years" (but never spent a winter in this area) recently retired. This past weekend I spent most of Saturday helping him dig his 4wd truck (with street tires) out of a snowbank in the middle of a corn field. There's a "summer road" through the field, we all use it "IN JULY" but everyone up here knows not to even attempt to find that dirt road in January when it's under 3' of snow drifts.

As we were digging, blowing and hooking chains up to his bumper and my tractor, he said he was thinking about buying himself a Honda Goldwing "as a retirement gift to himself"... I asked him if he's ever rode a cycle... His response, "The dealership said they would help me get my motorcycle endorsement".... Today, he sent me a photo from the dealership in Alpena... Yep, a pretty silver/gray 2018 GW.... And he's never had his butt on a MC seat, even behind someone who knows how to ride....

So, "it happens" not only with noobies and RV's, but also noobies and MC's...

Heaven help his wife when April gets here.....

I can see it now....oh wait, I SAW it once! Coming thru a tiny town in MO or AR (can't remember) at a little intersection. There were 4 bikes, all full dress, and 2 of them obviously brand new bikes and new riders - probably just got his "endorsement". They were trying to just slowly motor up to a 4 way stop as folks worked their way thru it. One of them just kept putting his feet down, wobbling side to side, trying to keep from hitting the others. Seemed he didn't have any coordination between the throttle and the clutch.

This went on for about 2 round of cars going thru the intersection then he suddenly sort of swerved to the right into a drive that slanted up slightly. Creeped up the incline a bit flopping his feet left and right, then suddenly pulled the bars to the left, hit the gutter and dropped the bike right in the middle of the street...in the middle of his awestruck friends. He quickly dismounted and set about to make things right....he couldn't pick up the bike. By then I couldn't see for all the tears rolling down my face - I may still have permanent grin wrinkles. Anyway, the others quickly got off their bikes and ran to assist. It WAS a little mini circus. I am usually very antsy and in a hurry - that day I didn't want it to stop.....might have even paid to watch!

I'm thinking this might be one of those moments that would be worth following around to see how that "endorsement" works out.
Old 02-03-2021, 05:18 PM   #11
dutchmensport

I've always enjoyed watching people set up camp and break camp and the newer, less experienced campers are always a hoot to watch. Then I have to humble myself and remember how insane I was once with the way we use to do it. I'm sure those older and more seasoned got their thrills out of watching us set up camp with our pop-up, some 30 years ago.

I try to never forget what that was like. And it makes watching lesser experienced RV's just a bit more humblimg.

What I do have a hard time with, is once they are set up, some folks are just in constant motion. Up, down, in, out, front of camper, back of camper, sitting, standing, inside, outside, walking round, round, and round some more. Picking up this, putting down that, doing this, doing that, fiddle, fiddle, fiddle. It's exhausting just watching them. The older we get, the less we do. We vegetate and people watch now.
Old 02-03-2021, 05:26 PM   #12
Camping family

I would hope those with more experience would offer to help someone who they know is a new be. Offer and if they ask like they don’t want it then sit back and watch. But please offer as for me I’m still a new be and hope if someone sees I’m having a problem of doing something wrong please offer to help. Don’t sit and laugh at me.
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 07:07 PM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping family View Post
I would hope those with more experience would offer to help someone who they know is a new be. Offer and if they ask like they don’t want it then sit back and watch. But please offer as for me I’m still a new be and hope if someone sees I’m having a problem of doing something wrong please offer to help. Don’t sit and laugh at me.

Not sitting and laughing as far as I'm concerned. For me I love watching new campers come in, visit, help - even give accessories to help as I mentioned in my first post. I've always loved helping someone new "figure it out" and I've had lots of folks take me up on "helping"...but;

My post was about trying to help and what happens when you can't and then the efforts of the new person trying to "figure it out". I believe the answer is to always help your fellow man, but, if you see a problem and try to help (intervene/nosey/not your place etc.) and then sort of "put in your place/ignored" you back off and observe. Laugh? Probably at times. Feel sad and wish you could do more but shake your head - absolutely.
Old 02-03-2021, 08:30 PM   #14
Bill-2020

Years ago with our first camper (lil’ Jayco), I ran through all the gears, if you would, in he back yard just so I knew what the heck I was doing. Our first planned trip was to a family run event park in middle Georgia. I watched a lot of you tube and practiced what I saw before we ever pulled that camper out of the back yard. The PDI was educational, but somewhat like EMT training in my early years, after you read all the textbooks, pass the practical and written tests, what you just learned will not always apply in the field (and mostly not apply). Or in this case, apply at the campground. Many, many trips years later and I’m still honing my setup/tear down tactics. What you saw with the new campers was us in the backyard so many years ago. We leave for the west coast of FL (Pine Island/Sanibel/Ft Myers) in a week. I’ve already started to ready the camper... Brother is coming down to look at rigs himself. Great stories, Danny!
Old 02-03-2021, 11:19 PM   #15
jsb5717

Honestly, I think many, if not most, seasoned campers would be more than willing to help. We've all been there at one time and most of us (maybe not all of us ) can still remember that far back.

It's when the rookie doesn't want the help. All you can do at that point is sit back and watch...and try not to laugh out loud. I was happy to have someone show me the ropes. The sooner I learned the sooner I stopped looking like a rookie and the old guard could sit and watch someone else.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 04:02 AM   #16
notanlines

Let's look at the 'other' guy in the park who we are all familiar with; "that guy."
Yes, he's the one who, upon seeing anyone come into the park, immediately jumps up and heads over to direct them into the site, guide them while backing in, laying out the water lines, etc. When you have a little project going on he forever is telling you "That's not how we do in (name your state/province)."
Our best story is when our resident 'that guy' approached a woman driving a relatively new M2 pulling a triple axle toy hauler of some sort and asked her if she would like him to back it in for her....
I can't repeat verbatim what she told him (family site and all) but turns out she was a retired OTR driver for Exxon or the like.
The next day I did approach her and her husband and they gave me a guided tour of the M2. I think the phrase that best describes this beast is WAY COOL! Other than it was white , everything else made me try to think of ways to convince Momma we needed to make a swap!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 07:56 AM   #17
sourdough
Site Team

And the saga continues... I won't continue to bore you with the ongoing events next door but thought I would share one last drama from this morning.

Got up this morning and opened the windows (a bit after daybreak) after hearing a "clunk" next door. The fellows were out again; pass thru hatch open, water running out of the floor underneath and them scurrying around with paper towels and small towels. One went inside, the other stayed at the convenience center and messed with the city water inlet and ?? He began yelling at the guy inside "I'm turning it on full force and just keep hitting it hard"!?? Hmmm, "hitting it hard" doesn't usually go well with RV components so I thought I would make myself available. I didn't/don't want to be "that guy" Jim alluded to so I just opened the door with my coffee and stepped out in case there was a question I could help with. Nothing - they didn't even look at me. Gone were the happy smiles, grins and laughs they had been sharing when they got here. Both frowning, looked tired and grumpy at each other.

The friend got more towels and wiped up the pass thru, the owner went to his truck and began picking up hand tools he had thrown all over the ground around the truck and front of the trailer, appearing very unhappy. The friend then slammed the hatch closed, whatever malady that had been plaguing them apparently put on the back burner for a later time. Put their golf clubs on the golf cart and.....no go. What a look of consternation passed between them. A bit later the park owner arrives with the hood of his pickup up and they take the cart away....I assume to recharge. Neighbors both went inside and haven't been back out. Oh, the sewer hose that is just "laid" out there and never connected? It's still just laying there poked into the open sewer drain and the cover to the furnace? It's off again for the 3rd consecutive day as they piddle with the control board and wiring daily because it "runs too much".

I hate seeing stuff like this happen and I would expect that this fellow will not have kind words to say about his Keystone Cougar when, from my perch, nearly everything I've seen is self induced. His good friend next door, in a new Momentum, is more mechanically inclined (our neighbor is not) and hasn't had any problems from what I've seen other than not knowing how to connect a sewer line which was compounded greatly by the fact that he has 2 sewer outlets. I told them what to get to get it hooked up. The solution? One hose connected to one outlet and forget the other toilet I guess; or move it each dump cycle or ??? .....

I won't continue to detail the happenings. As the post title indicated NOW is a good time to be out camping. Not only to see some things from the funny side as I talked about but in reality, a great time to be out with all the new folks and be able to hopefully help them get acquainted with their new rigs and avoid some of the common pitfalls we have all experienced. Happy camping to all!
Old 02-04-2021, 08:49 AM   #18
bivijrjax2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooksFam View Post
Yep, had to lend a hand to the first timers a few times myself. As boaters we will sit in the boat just off the boat ramp/dock sometimes and watch the craziness that goes on there also, good times...…….
This was going to be my reply as well, boat ramps are always entertaining. It seems the people with the least knowledge always have the biggest boats too. I also agree with the above comments about always being willing to help unless it is not wanted or appreciated. As I read through these forums I am amazed at some of the questions asked. While I agree there is a learning curve to rv-ing, it is not rocket surgery. Take your time, think about the situation and use a little common sense.
bivijrjax2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 09:36 AM   #19
CedarCreekWoody

Danny your tale details the exact reasons that I would never consider renting out my personal camper!
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 09:56 AM   #20
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
Danny your tale details the exact reasons that I would never consider renting out my personal camper!
For me, it goes beyond "renting it out"... I also don't let anyone stay in it, even parked in the drive, unless I'm also staying in it with them... There are numerous threads on this (and most other RV forums) about stopped up toilets, broken, destroyed slides, burned up water heaters, blown circuit breakers and many more "costly mistakes" from people not familiar with how an RV operates.

So, unless I'm "supervising the use" my Cougar is "off limits"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote