Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 11-28-2020, 08:59 PM   #1
gearhead

Traveling bug?

So how do y'all compare to your siblings/family as to the desire to travel? When I was growing up we didn't go anywhere, and I mean anywhere as a family. My Dad said he did all the traveling he was ever going to do in the Army in WW2. We rarely went out to eat together. Me and Mom went to Louisiana once on a train and another time by car. My uncles apparently felt sorry for me and took me to Arkansas and to the Texas hill country.
So when I got mostly grown I was eager to go. Anywhere. Got a job and got married. A few road trips by car to Arkansas, Colorado and Tennessee and then bought a cabover camper. Travelled a good bit with it. Then 2 kids and a motorhome. Then retired and here I am.
So one sister has travelled a bit. California and to Europe. The other sister mostly in the states to car races.
All that to tell my brothers story. He has travelled a little. I think flying to 2 ski trips somewhere in the Rockies. So he decides he wants a camper, a truck camper so he can pull his fishing boat. He gets a small truck camper. Sells it 3 months later. Gets a nice new pop up truck camper on a new 1 ton truck. Went to North Carolina then Colorado for maybe 3 days. Went back home and sold the truck and camper. Told me he apparently has Dads "no travel DNA". "It's just too much trouble, I'll fly and rent a car if I decide I have to go somewhere".
How do y'all shake out compared to your family? Or, how did you get the traveling bug?
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 09:32 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Don't know if it's a traveling bug or just wanting to see and enjoy new things.

Growing up we were a lot like you. Didn't go or do; lived in the hot SW sun and dirt. Once we went to the southern NM mountains and dad borrowed a tent. A bear stood up on the side of it and tore it out. No more trips. My aunt got cancer and went to Salt Lake City for treatment. Mom convinced dad to take her there. Borrowed a home built pickup bed frame and canvas cover for our 57 Chevy pickup. He got lost, the generator on the pickup died, drove up a desolate backroad mountain trail to a forest service building in the middle of the night - no one there. With the failed generator he had me stand on the side of the road with an almost dead flashlight to try to wave someone down. No more "road trips".

For me and DW we started the minute we got to be "free" (married). At first it was with motorcycles...which we loved. Used to go to Red River NM and those parts, park the bikes and put a little 2 man tent between them to block wind and catch some heat from the bikes. I carried a hammer for protection.

In 1969 bought a new Chevy C10 pickup and then found a slide in cabover camper. Loved it. And...the story continues. We've loved camping, campers and traveling since we got married at a young age. "Adventure" I guess, and new things.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 09:55 PM   #3
gearhead

I went on 2 camping trips before the uncle took me along. One time Dad put out trotlines in Lake Houston and we sorta camped on shore so we could run the lines at night. Another uncle took me along camping on his hunting lease. I had a couple of old quilts and an Army surplus cot. I think the cot was used in WW2. The cotton was rotten and it ripped. I was supporting my butt on the middle wooden crossed legs all night. It wouldn't have made much difference about sleeping. Two Bulls were fighting close to us and all us kids were terrified. Aunt and uncle got in the truck. Gee thanks!
Old 11-28-2020, 10:20 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

You had asked about family and the traveling bug. We are the "travelers" of my siblings. Little brother does quite a bit on his bike and hotels. Had a 5th wheel for a short while but it didn't work out. My sisters, between health, money and family just don't. DWs mom and dad traveled to PA (back home) once a year and they had a good time. They were going to "travel" when he retired at 65; he died about a month or so prior to retirement.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 03:54 AM   #5
notanlines

DW and I have always had the travel bug, and always cultivated it as best we could financially. Even our Dachshund had been in 49 states and all the Canadian provinces. It isn't necessary to travel in Lear jets and stay at the Hilton. Those trips with S-15 pickups, junked toppers and pup tents will be remembered just as long as the high-dollar trips.
Sophie Tucker is most attributed with saying "I've been rich and I've been poor. Rich is better." In 72 years I can say I have learned that passengers of that Lear jet might laugh a lot, but not more than DW and I when we traveled in our old beater the S15 back in the day.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 04:07 AM   #6
jasin1

I lived with my father and stepmonster for a year in PA.. didn’t have much money that dad could spend but he liked to explore. We lived on a hill overlooking the valley and you could see probably 20miles away. He would say “do you see that hill way over there? “ let’s go try and find it” by car or sometimes walking depending on how far. .. he did lots of day trips by car in a Honda Civic and a old vw van. Never had money but could see new places
When my kids were small and money was tight i realized one day that I could be anywhere I wanted to be by “tomorrow “ if I stopped thinking about it and just started driving. So I bought a popup and headed 1100 miles to Florida during spring break . Many different campgrounds after that. Then made it a point to take my kids everywhere They have been all over the world by now. A few cruises chartered a powercat in the BVI.
Now my son is 25 and my daughter is 28 ..he travels the world a few months a year for work on a ship seeing different places and my daughter loves tent camping. She and her boyfriend have been all over the country and Canada hiking and backpacking (I purchased a satellite plan and a garmin Inreach so I can monitor her location so I don’t worry)
I think you just have to make up your mind your going to see things in life and just do it ....if you try and wait till everything is perfect it may never happen and kids grow up faster then you can possibly imagine

N
Old 11-29-2020, 04:42 AM   #7
RCW

My family actually travelled a lot when I was young. We tent camped and then my parents bought one of the first Starcraft pop ups back when they were little more that a tent on wheels. We traveled all over the country in that thing! In 1965 we took off for 6 weeks with it and traveled from Detroit to the West coast and back. Still not sure about my parent's sanity, on the road for 6 weeks with a 7, 5, and 1 year old (still in diapers) for 6 weeks! Mom and dad camped/traveled until their health wouldn't allow them anymore.

Although I am the one who has continued the camping tradition and probably traveled the most. My brother and sister have also traveled considerably.
RCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 08:50 AM   #8
ewbldavis

We grew up camping. Mom and dad sold their TT and bought a boat in 2005.

We camp the most of us siblings. My brother does some in hotels, and my sister has a Jayco TT they use a few times a year. We season camp pretty much EVERY weekend and travel with it 2-3 times a summer. Starting to travel more as our schedules permit.

Eddy

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L
2020 Cougar 32BHS
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 08:52 AM   #9
travelin texans

As a young'un Mom bought a army surplus huge tent with a couple rooms, it was made of oiled canvas & really smelled, but we had more fun camping that smelly thing.
Later my granddad bought a used Metro bread truck that I helped, I was about 6 so image how much help I was, convert it into our 1st motorhome. Actually it was nothing more than wall to wall bunk beds but was way better than sleeping on the ground. With the Metro, as we all called it, he towed a 14' boat with a 75 hp motor & we fished, learned to water ski & just have a great time it seemed like every weekend.
After marriage we did tents, popup, got a couple used TTs from the in laws & planned forever it seems to one day retire & full-time. In July '08 we did just that! We sold our house, gave away or sold all our STUFF & hit the road. In '19 we bought a modular home in a 55+ rv resort, so sort of still rving, sold the 5th wheel & dually & bought a Jeep. Until this ******* pandemic hit we traveled in the Jeep staying hotels.
From here on who knows what will happen as far social distancing & wearing mask???? Hopefully by 2021 we'll get back to normal & 2020 will just be a horrible memory.....
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 03:16 PM   #10
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
As a young'un Mom bought a army surplus huge tent with a couple rooms, it was made of oiled canvas & really smelled, but we had more fun camping that smelly thing.
Later my granddad bought a used Metro bread truck that I helped, I was about 6 so image how much help I was, convert it into our 1st motorhome. Actually it was nothing more than wall to wall bunk beds but was way better than sleeping on the ground. With the Metro, as we all called it, he towed a 14' boat with a 75 hp motor & we fished, learned to water ski & just have a great time it seemed like every weekend.
After marriage we did tents, popup, got a couple used TTs from the in laws & planned forever it seems to one day retire & full-time. In July '08 we did just that! We sold our house, gave away or sold all our STUFF & hit the road. In '19 we bought a modular home in a 55+ rv resort, so sort of still rving, sold the 5th wheel & dually & bought a Jeep. Until this ******* pandemic hit we traveled in the Jeep staying hotels.
From here on who knows what will happen as far social distancing & wearing mask???? Hopefully by 2021 we'll get back to normal & 2020 will just be a horrible memory.....
That sounds very familiar. My uncle that took me to Arkansas was our high school woodshop teacher. He bought an old step van bread truck and converted it to a "motorhome". It was very basic. May have had a counter that passed for a kitchen. Apparently slept 6...them, their 3 boys+me. This was early 1960's so no A/C.
Old 11-29-2020, 07:34 PM   #11
Bill-2020

Have traveled all over NM, southern CO, and southern AZ a bit. Prior to that, did two weeks of western states in my early teens with Dad each year, mostly CO, UT, CA, OR, MT, WY or WA. Those were all in Hotels, Motels and once with my aunt in OR. After I turned 18, those travels stopped when I started working. Still wandered about NM and CO fly fishing mostly. Did a couple fly fishing trips to Yellowstone with Dad in my 30s. Moved to FL in 1999 for 18 months, did a little bit of car travels in FL, GA, SC and NC. Moved back to NM until late 2003 when career returned me to FL. We've been all over FL, GA and some more of SC, NC and a bit of TN. Gave up on hotels, high costs, poor "free breakfasts" (even at HIE). Purchased that first camper back then and finally we felt free of the hotel problems. Haven't looked back since. Forgot what a hotel looks like inside.
Old 11-30-2020, 09:41 AM   #12
dutchmensport

Traveling has been my entire family' way of life ...(including my Dad's extended family members) and my wife's family). Now my kids are traveling too.

Not only the USA, but I've traveled to Mexico, Germany, Switzerland, Israel (lived there a year), Canada, Puerto Rico, South Korea (a year there), Cayman Islands, Japan, Grand Turk, Virgin Islands, British Virgin islands, Nassau, Belize, that I can remember.

The rest of my "family" has traveled the world. My daughter was in the Navy and traveled to the Persian Gulf and literally, all over the world, ports everywhere. She always reported back to us and was always ecstatic and very spirited about her journeys. Her and her husband have lived in multiple areas in the USA, and now are currently living in Hawaii. Their adventure is still underway.

My son, traveled to Japan, and has been as far West as Seattle, Washington to Washington DC. He want's to visit Poland and Singapore some day. He and his 7 year old boy have been camping with us (off and on) for the last 6 years, all over the USA.

Traveling is in our blood. At age 65 now, I still like to travel. But I do like to sight see from the automobile windshield. The days of hiking, amusement parks, museums, and historical sites are now pretty much replaced with vegetating around a nice campfire with a hot-dog on the stick. I've eaten enough "foreign" food that will satisfy me for the rest of my life.

Traveling is in our blood. And in just a few more months, I'll be officially "retired" and be able to travel full time or at least in longer increments.

That's my story.
Old 01-02-2021, 01:51 PM   #13
Phil Saran

Growing up in Southern California, my dad owned his own business so
we only took one week long vacation a year (when he could get away)
and one or two weekend trips to the snow in the winter (rent a cabin).

When they retired they bought a travel trailer and went all over the country.

When I married we tent camped, moved up to a pop up camper and then
a travel trailer. We had 2 kids and hauled them around all year long.

Got divorced in 2004, bought a 2004 TT to live in a park since I was
still working. For me it worked.

In 2007 I got married again and we used the TT for trips with our 128
pound Great Pyrenes. Moved up to a 2010 TT (bigger 30 foot), then a
34 foot gas MH and finally a 34 foot 5th wheel trailer behind a diesel
truck.

We have traveled the west coast up into Canada and as far east as
Michigan. We have lived in Colorado for the past 6 years.
Colorado
Phil Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 02:40 PM   #14
notanlines

Phil, you're missing a lot if you don't put Newfoundland and Nova Scotia and all the states in between on your bucket list.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 07:51 PM   #15
Northofu1

Stepfather thought it would be a great idea to take a family trip to Florida. 3 weeks touring Florida in a Vista cruiser with brother, mother, and grandmother. Stayed at Holiday inns all over the state. Never visited the Keys, and Jacksonville was experiencing racial tension and vacationers were cautioned to stay away.
Wasn't much of a disney fan, still not. The historical and social aspects appealed to me.
I will never forget the air boat ride through the everglades with the guy with teeth missing and sporting a mullet. He knew how to captain that boat, felt like a joy ride.

My brother and I have loved to travel ever since. Robert Plant concert in Detroit at the Joe Louis arena when I was 18. Grateful Dead tours, lots of concerts in the US, still the best place to see one.
Thanks to my 2 eldest girls involved with Rep Soccer, lots of tournaments throughout Ontario, Quebec, N.Y. state, they too have a love of travel. They have been to Europe more times than I have.
I love to drive...

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 03:37 AM   #16
roadglide

Parents owned a big Canvas tent you could drive a jeep inside stored in the attic in the lower part Michigan. It was used Wall Lake and Home stead we kids would terrorizing each other. Once a year we will go for two weeks at Brevard lake. When everybody grew up and we would meet family and friends from Michigan at Quartzsite once a year . The kids where all raised camping. My sweetie first camping trip with me was a Time out pulled behind a motorcycle 7 years ago, after that I acquired 70ish 15 foot trailer we refurbished that for the lake I miss that Single axle trailer. I sold that went to pull behind to the present. Where trying HMO housing project hill close to Tampa Florida trying that and dumping the Boon docking around Quartzite this year.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote