Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 11-05-2020, 06:42 AM   #21
Ken / Claudia

I look at this way. If doing some long distance traveling now, get better tires. If not since you mentioned money. Invest in TPMS 1st. Watch the tires, TPMS helps you do that. Keep them inflated to max listed PSI. If using locally and maybe a trip or 2 this winter. Investigate new tires as you save up money and get them in the spring. Finally check the date code on the tires and from now on every tire you buy especially on an RV ST tire. 3 to 5 years from that stamped date and your running them on barrowed time on any ST tire, just my opinion based on my job, my life owning RVs about 40 years and these forums.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 06:45 AM   #22
notanlines

I also bought a new Ford truck many years ago and most of the other F250's on the lot were Michelin. Ours had Generals and I told the salesman that was a no-go. About an hour later ours were Michelin and some other truck was saddled with the Generals. (Mike was mistaken by the way. Generals are worse than Firestone)
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 07:21 AM   #23
Brantel

Now leaning heavy on the Carlisle Radial Trail HD tires. Also ordering metal stems and a TPMS system.

Amazon has em for $86 and free shipping. Tiresshipped2you has em as well.

Wonder which would have the newest date codes?

No local discount tire here close.
Brantel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 07:39 AM   #24
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brantel View Post
Now leaning heavy on the Carlisle Radial Trail HD tires. Also ordering metal stems and a TPMS system.

Your trailer tires are ST225 75R15 LRE (from the Keystone specs).
WalMart has them listed for $85.99 each, free delivery to any store with a TBA department. Installation/road hazard is $12.50 per tire with lifetime balance. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Carlisle-...-Tire/55012166

I'm no "big WalMart fan" but buying from them, there's a "face to face capacity for service" in nearly any city over 15K people, anywhere in the US.

Finding service on a tire bought on Amazon can be an issue, especially when traveling.

If the price is the same at WalMart, consider that you'll also have "after sale services" available almost anywhere in the USA.

I'm not suggesting you buy from WalMart exclusively, but it is something to consider.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 07:42 AM   #25
Brantel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Your trailer tires are ST225 75R15 LRE (from the Keystone specs).
WalMart has them listed for $85.99 each, free delivery to any store with a TBA department. Installation/road hazard is $12.50 per tire with lifetime balance. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Carlisle-...-Tire/55012166

I'm no "big WalMart fan" but buying from them, there's a "face to face capacity for service" in nearly any city over 15K people, anywhere in the US.

Finding service on a tire bought on Amazon can be an issue, especially when traveling.

If the price is the same at WalMart, consider that you'll also have "after sale services" available almost anywhere in the USA.
Most of the Walmarts around here have had their automotive/tire department completely shut down. I think they are back open now, thanks for the suggestion.

Looks like their prices have changed some as the package that includes the road hazard warranty is $25 per tire.
Old 11-05-2020, 07:49 AM   #26
Northofu1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
How did you go about trading them?
I told them I wanted Michelin defender for the car, for the truck I wanted the continental contipro. On the used car I offered them less money than than I originally offered. They balked, I walked. It was a 4 yr old 2000 Bonneville. They called 2 days later. The day after I picked up the car, both back window motors stopped working and I made them replace them. It took two weeks. In which time I replaced the tires.. The dealership also tried to give me the line they were looking for used to save me money. LMAO.
I had already called an auto wrecker I am accustomed to and they looked across Canada for the parts. None
The retail for the fronts were $99 aftermarket. The rears were $651. They replaced them on their dime. I know they get them dirt cheap.
If I'm not happy, I have no issue looking elsewhere.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 08:09 AM   #27
Mike&Sandy

Quote:

Thanks for posting, I just got 4 also. I also found the in command TPMS from this retailer, better price than Amazon.

https://www.anchorexpress.com/iN-Com...0_p_89708.html
Mike&Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 08:17 AM   #28
Hblick48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike&Sandy View Post
Here's another look at them. The ratings are exceptional.

https://www.amazon.com/Transeagle-Ra...s%2C180&sr=8-3
I put TransEagle tires on our rig. All steel construction and have a higher speed rating than Sailuns. I think they will be the next "go to" trailer tire.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 08:32 AM   #29
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northofu1 View Post
I told them I wanted Michelin defender for the car, for the truck I wanted the continental contipro. On the used car I offered them less money than than I originally offered. They balked, I walked. It was a 4 yr old 2000 Bonneville. They called 2 days later. The day after I picked up the car, both back window motors stopped working and I made them replace them. It took two weeks. In which time I replaced the tires.. The dealership also tried to give me the line they were looking for used to save me money. LMAO.
I had already called an auto wrecker I am accustomed to and they looked across Canada for the parts. None
The retail for the fronts were $99 aftermarket. The rears were $651. They replaced them on their dime. I know they get them dirt cheap.
If I'm not happy, I have no issue looking elsewhere.
Speaking of Continental....This email just arrived in my inbox.
You received this email because you have requested to be notified by NHTSA if there is a safety recall regarding Tires.
Please click on the following NHTSA Recall ID links to view the recall information.

NHTSA Recall ID Number : 20T018

Synopsis : Continental Tire the Americas, LLC. (Continental Tire) is recalling 20 different Continental and General brand tires sold as original or replacement equipment, based on their DOT dates codes and their Mold numbers. For a full list of the tires visit: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/202...0T018-0311.pdf. The affected tires were cured for a time beyond the specification limits. Over cured tires may develop a break in the sidewall resulting in sudden air loss or a belt edge separation which could lead to a tread/belt loss. Either condition can cause a loss of vehicle control, increasing the risk of a crash. Continental Tire will notify the owners that purchased the tires as replacement equipment. Various vehicle manufacturers will conduct recalls to cover the original equipment tires. The tires will be inspected to verify that they are affected, and will be replaced as necessary, free of charge. The manufacturer has not yet provided a schedule for recall notification. Owners may contact Continental Tire customer service at 1-888-799-2168.

Thank you,
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
United States Department of Transportation
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 08:50 AM   #30
ewbldavis

FWIW...

I plan on running the Trailer Kings for a couple years (3 tops) - then will definitely replace. No more than 3 years, but we only tow a few times a year...sits seasonal the rest of the time.

I have 10 year old Carlisle on my 5x8 utility trailer (I know...I know...it's due), so definitely interested in what Carlisle has to offer.

Edit: What TPMS system you eyeballing?

Eddy

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L
2020 Cougar 32BHS
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 09:11 AM   #31
Brantel

Quote:
Thanks for posting, I just got 4 also. I also found the in command TPMS from this retailer, better price than Amazon.

https://www.anchorexpress.com/iN-Com...0_p_89708.html
Where did you end up purchasing?
Old 11-05-2020, 09:13 AM   #32
Brantel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewbldavis View Post
FWIW...

I am going with the In-Command system since it will integrate with my In-Command app on my phone and I don't want another screen hanging around in my truck cab.

Not a ton of reviews available for it but it looks and smells like it is basically very similar to the other popular brands that use phones for the display.
Old 11-05-2020, 10:38 AM   #33
Mike&Sandy

Quote:
Where did you end up purchasing?
From that link.
Old 11-05-2020, 10:39 AM   #34
Mike&Sandy

Quote:
I am going with the In-Command system since it will integrate with my In-Command app on my phone and I don't want another screen hanging around in my truck cab.

Not a ton of reviews available for it but it looks and smells like it is basically very similar to the other popular brands that use phones for the display.
Same reasons for me.
Old 11-05-2020, 10:53 AM   #35
Brantel

Quote:
From that link.
Sorry I am asking about the tires and I think you are referring to to the TPMS...LOL
Old 11-05-2020, 11:17 AM   #36
Mike&Sandy

Quote:
Sorry I am asking about the tires and I think you are referring to to the TPMS...LOL
Ha, sorry, It was easier for me to get them through Amazon. My family has a car shop and can put them on for free.

I was really leaning towards the Transeagle ST's that I posted earlier in this thread, but all the Carlisle advocates swayed my thinking, and the Carlisles are less expensive allowing me to buy more stuff for the RV. At least that's my story to the wife, lol.
Old 11-05-2020, 12:27 PM   #37
MattE303

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewbldavis View Post
FWIW...

I plan on running the Trailer Kings for a couple years (3 tops) - then will definitely replace. No more than 3 years, but we only tow a few times a year...sits seasonal the rest of the time.

I have 10 year old Carlisle on my 5x8 utility trailer (I know...I know...it's due), so definitely interested in what Carlisle has to offer.

When we got our fiver a couple years ago, I swapped out the TKs right away (after reading all the stories on the forums) with a set of Sailuns. I'm SO glad I didn't wait, the difference was amazing. The Sailuns were heavy, beefy and and stiff. Compared to them the TKs felt like a light weight, worn out, floppy old tennis shoe, and given the weight of our fiver, they had very little 'head room' for carrying capacity. I sold them to my neighbor for his utility trailer. Every time we hit a spine jarring pot hole on the road I'm so glad I don't have those TK's on there. Given how expensive a tire blowout can be on our trailers, I wouldn't take the chance, JMHO.

2002 Ford F350 7.3 Super Duty XLT 4x4 CC LB SRW -- Pullrite Super 5th 16K
2017 Keystone Carbon 337
2022 Honda CRF-450R
MattE303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 01:24 PM   #38
travelin texans

Quote:

To be quite honest after having the TST507 TPMS with a separate monitor I wouldn't want anything that I had to specifically find on my phone as I found myself looking at pressures & more so at temperatures quite often.
Not a good idea to be texting, dialing or in my opinion looking up tire conditions on your phone while driving especially while towing.
Not to mention if the TPMS through the InCommand system is as troublesome as most of the forums are indicating the rest of the system is then I wouldn't trust it to much. It's one thing for the lights or awning to have issues through the InCommand, but I want accurate tire information instantly.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 03:12 PM   #39
notanlines

I heartily agree with Danny concerning the TPMS coming in on my phone. I think not.
And this statement: "I plan on running the Trailer Kings for a couple years (3 tops)" coming from a person with a new nice 35' Cougar after everything that has been written. I simply can't understand the reasoning.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 03:27 PM   #40
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
I heartily agree with Danny concerning the TPMS coming in on my phone. I think not.
And this statement: "I plan on running the Trailer Kings for a couple years (3 tops)" coming from a person with a new nice 35' Cougar after everything that has been written. I simply can't understand the reasoning.

I know the sentiment is to dump the TKs immediately but there are probably a much larger silent majority that kept those tires on their camper for at least a couple years with no issues and never made a noise since there wasn't a failure. Lots of folks are cash strapped after the down payment and initial outlays of owning a new camper so may be cash strapped a bit. Just spit balling here. Should they get those TKs off immediately? Probably but I contend many will not.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires