Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 03-20-2021, 02:41 PM   #41
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by marine9007 View Post
No am I not affiliated with them, but I have studied their product videos and countless other internet options and I believe they have found the recipe that other larger OEMs will soon be copying - just my 2 cents...
I pre-ordered a unit and expecting it soon...
??? So, your previous post is "speculation based on pre-release reports" ???

Once you get the system, have it installed and "live with it for a weekend or more", please post a "REAL WORLD REPORT".....

Right now, seems the speculation follows a similar path to all the posts about "I just ordered a new tow vehicle and it's exactly what I need for my trailer" or "I just ordered a new grill. I will be able to cook everything better (when it gets here)".....

When you get it up and running, please let us know how it performs.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 03:33 PM   #42
marine9007

I agree with providing the tests since anything I or anyone else say is speculation without data/proof. My wife and I plan on doing some videos if it works as advertised or not.
USMC Veteran
marine9007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 04:35 PM   #43
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by marine9007 View Post
I agree with providing the tests since anything I or anyone else say is speculation without data/proof. My wife and I plan on doing some videos if it works as advertised or not.
With this being said - Have you tried the Winegard?
Old 03-20-2021, 06:06 PM   #44
Javi

I think too many people are looking for a magic bullet in regard to a wifi booster from devices like the Winegard and others mentioned in this thread.
Will the antenna in a system like the 360+ catch the signal from the campground broadcast antenna better than your cellphone? Answer... yes, it is higher and usually less obstructed.
Will it magically make the wifi speeds faster? Answer... no, actually the strength booster will actually reduce the through speed of the wifi by around 50% so while it may not drop the connection as often, it will be slower.

Now, where systems like the 360+ shine is with the 4G LTE internet being on top of the trailer and actually having an antenna it will improve your performance over the nearly nonexistent antenna of your cellphone or hotspot device.

Using a wireless data plan for streaming TV, movies or video conferencing is made better with better antennas and interfaces.

Now for me and mine, we have no plans to use it for movies, watching TV or video conferencing; what we are doing is using it to provide a better and more secure, and dependable connection to the internet for email, sending and receiving files from work and the wife's incessant social media surfing while camping.
We are blessed with great internet networks both at home and work and so use very little cell data... usually less than a gig collectively per month, until we go camping and then she (we) blow thru 8 to 10 gigs a week. Hence my plan to install my own camping network with it's own data plan.
Old 03-21-2021, 05:34 AM   #45
marine9007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-2020 View Post
With this being said - Have you tried the Winegard?
No, and I do not plan to do so. I have already done significant research over the past year and am sticking with my first option mentioned. If the Winegard router was already included and I didn't have to fork over $300 or so for it, I may have tried to install a Verizon sim and test it, but I already know the outcome compared to the other options from reviews and other's tests.
If anyone has any real-world results, that input would be greatly appreciated for the community.
USMC Veteran
Old 03-21-2021, 06:05 AM   #46
Hblick48

I recently signed up with Visible which is owned on operates on the Verizon network. They say data is truly unlimited. I purchased one of their phones and purchased one of these routers (to get around their one device policy): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I teathered the phone to the the hotspot, and got a good 4G Hotspot. Plan also works with 5G if you get a 5G phone ( and 5G is available where you are). Plan is $40/month or less.

This setup has replaced my Comcast connection at-home. Have been using it for surfing and streaming (simultaneously) with no buffering, really can't tell the difference between the 2 connections. Will be using it on our next trip.

We now have unlimited internet wherever there is Verizon service.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 06:56 AM   #47
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hblick48 View Post
I recently signed up with Visible which is owned on operates on the Verizon network. They say data is truly unlimited. I purchased one of their phones and purchased one of these routers (to get around their one device policy): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I teathered the phone to the the hotspot, and got a good 4G Hotspot. Plan also works with 5G if you get a 5G phone ( and 5G is available where you are). Plan is $40/month or less.

This setup has replaced my Comcast connection at-home. Have been using it for surfing and streaming (simultaneously) with no buffering, really can't tell the difference between the 2 connections. Will be using it on our next trip.

We now have unlimited internet wherever there is Verizon service.
We are on AT&T and in our sphere of travel destinations it seems to offer the best coverage and there is no 5G in Texas outside of the 3 major metropolitan centers of DFW, Houston and Austin/San Antonio I35 corridor.

Many of the campgrounds we use are on the edge of cell coverage and even getting a good voice connection requires going outside of the trailer and scanning for bars, in fact we tell people who may call to text us first and we'll call them back. For some reason texts seem to go through even when voice is spotty.

Anyway, I know location has a lot to do with the success of a cellphone based hotspot, do you think a roof mounted antenna and gateway would help on the fringe areas of your Verizon coverage.
Old 03-21-2021, 07:38 AM   #48
Camping family

Anyone have the winegard 360+ with router and have ATT SIM card and service? I’m thinking of going with the winegard set up and att. Only cause I have unlimited data with my att plan.
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 07:47 AM   #49
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping family View Post
Anyone have the winegard 360+ with router and have ATT SIM card and service? I’m thinking of going with the winegard set up and att. Only cause I have unlimited data with my att plan.
I don't have it yet, but as soon as I can finish paying for the new 535 feet of fence at the house, it is my next purchase. Someone ran the riding lawnmower through a section of the fence and it is 22 years old and needed replacing anyway...

I've talked to several owners around the campgrounds who have them and for the cell data they like them. The guy next to me in the storage yard also have one and he works in his trailer 2 weeks a month on the road.

Probable the only reason I don't already have it is procrastination because of a phobia of dealing with the 12 year old experts at the AT&T store in Waco for the sim...
Old 03-21-2021, 09:28 AM   #50
Javi

Here is a link you should see
https://youtu.be/036AkYK90r0
Old 03-23-2021, 07:41 AM   #51
marine9007

This is a good video to explain why most people (and devices) can get some signal but have little or no data. Our goal is to avoid congestion and get a good signal based on our normal camping locations. Again, this is in no way an endorsement, but education. It may give you a better assessment of your needs: https://youtu.be/3_cgqCOMt4g
USMC Veteran
Old 04-01-2021, 02:31 PM   #52
Camping family

Does anyone out there have the winegard router with an att plan. I’m getting to different stories. First one is from winegard who say I can get an att sim card plug into my winegard router and use the data on my att cell phone plan which is unlimited. Second one is from att rep I can get an att SIM card but will have to get a separate plan for data. Can’t run off my current cell plan of unlimited data and that cost is 80.00 per month. About tired of dealing with 18 year olds at att. Looking for someone who has the att plane and just added the SIM card and running off of their cell phone plan.
Old 04-01-2021, 05:02 PM   #53
Javi

Quote:
Does anyone out there have the winegard router with an att plan. I’m getting to different stories. First one is from winegard who say I can get an att sim card plug into my winegard router and use the data on my att cell phone plan which is unlimited. Second one is from att rep I can get an att SIM card but will have to get a separate plan for data. Can’t run off my current cell plan of unlimited data and that cost is 80.00 per month. About tired of dealing with 18 year olds at att. Looking for someone who has the att plane and just added the SIM card and running off of their cell phone plan.
We'll see how this works pretty soon, Amazon delivered the GW1000 this afternoon.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 06:13 PM   #54
Camping family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
We'll see how this works pretty soon, Amazon delivered the GW1000 this afternoon.
Please let me know. I’m looking for info on can you get a att SIM card and just add to your cell phone plan or do you have to get a separate plan for the router
Old 04-02-2021, 05:48 AM   #55
Javi

Quote:
Please let me know. I’m looking for info on can you get a att SIM card and just add to your cell phone plan or do you have to get a separate plan for the router
I believe what you're looking for is to add a AT&T DataConnect tablet or device to your plan.. At least that's what I've learned so far.. Got a meet with a buddy's wife who sells AT&T as an agent... She's 50ish so maybe we can communicate... I don't speak 12 year old very well..
Old 04-02-2021, 05:55 AM   #56
flybouy
Site Team

Now Javi calling them 12 year olds is unfair. Don't they have to 13 or so to get a work permit? lol
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 07:38 AM   #57
Camping family

Quote:
I believe what you're looking for is to add a AT&T DataConnect tablet or device to your plan.. At least that's what I've learned so far.. Got a meet with a buddy's wife who sells AT&T as an agent... She's 50ish so maybe we can communicate... I don't speak 12 year old very well..
Thank you please keep me updated on what you find out. It gets frustrating dealing with the kids at att stores. All I’m getting is you need a hot spot connection and it’s 80.00 a month no I don’t need a hot spot. I need to add a router to my plan and need a SIM card. Then I get we don’t sell routers. So yes please keep me updated on what you find out. Thank you
Old 04-02-2021, 08:09 AM   #58
wiredgeorge

Quote:
We are on AT&T and in our sphere of travel destinations it seems to offer the best coverage and there is no 5G in Texas outside of the 3 major metropolitan centers of DFW, Houston and Austin/San Antonio I35 corridor.

Many of the campgrounds we use are on the edge of cell coverage and even getting a good voice connection requires going outside of the trailer and scanning for bars, in fact we tell people who may call to text us first and we'll call them back. For some reason texts seem to go through even when voice is spotty.

Anyway, I know location has a lot to do with the success of a cellphone based hotspot, do you think a roof mounted antenna and gateway would help on the fringe areas of your Verizon coverage.
Suggest you check out Consumer Cellular. They run on the AT&T tower backbone and are far less expensive. You can keep and use the phone you now have. Their data allowance is pretty decent; we only use our hotspot when camping as we have internet at home through our Bandera Electric Coop fiber network. I am not sure why Consumer Cellular seems to sound like it wants seniors as their target demographic since it is just AT&T (or T-MOBILE) for a lot less money and better customer service.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 12:50 PM   #59
MotoDad293

Tell them you have the hotspot!!

You just need the ATT SIM for the hot spot you already have. And want to add it to your existing account.

If they ask you what model, just repeat a model they sell at the ATT store; for example: Netgear Nighthawk M1 4G LTE Mobile Router. All they may need to know about your already owned hotspot is the ESN. That will be on the box and on a label on the winegard router. Give them that number. They think they know but don't really know that they do not even need the ESN. That is just so they can identifiy the exact piece of hardware.

That is all the Winegard router is... it is a hotspot that accepts external cellular and wifi antennas and has the ability to use park (or home wifi) as a well as cellular (LTE) internet as it WAN (external) connection. Your computer to the wifi is the internal piece of the pie.

Having said that... The spec's on the Winegard Router are not all that. Most of the time when you take the cover plate off, you won't find all the wires. I planned to buy one for my Air360+ gizmo but only the antennae wires were there, no power wires. So rather than deal with the headache of finding them or opening the dome. I just bought and activitated a Verizon MiFi 8800L. $15/month on my existing account (2 phones with 5G unlimited data) But unlimmited is a misnomer, most of the time good speed is capped at 30GB. After that the speeds slows down significantly.

YMMV.
MotoDad293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 09:53 AM   #60
Javi

Quote:
Thank you please keep me updated on what you find out. It gets frustrating dealing with the kids at att stores. All I’m getting is you need a hot spot connection and it’s 80.00 a month no I don’t need a hot spot. I need to add a router to my plan and need a SIM card. Then I get we don’t sell routers. So yes please keep me updated on what you find out. Thank you
Okay, round one... The buddy's wife explained the system to me... but she only sells phones and phone plans and so can't give me a sim for the hotspot...

Need to go to a corporate store...

Okay round two... The Corporate Store.. They will gladly give me a sim no problem... they will gladly add it to my account, no problem... I'm not on an unlimited plan... I'm on an old plan of 6GIG a month shared... New Sim $50 a month for 15GIGS .... Didn't even talk to me about switching to an unlimited plan... didn't have time

Told me to do it online and then come back...

ROUND 3... coming up shortly

Here's what I've learned... take the sim and the IMEI # To the store, tell them it is for a hotspot mounted on the roof of your 5th wheel travel trailer..

If asked "WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO USE THE HOTSPOT FOR..".

Your answer should be ... "CONNECT TO THE INTERNET, MY WIFE IS A SOCIAL MEDIA QUEEN, ME i JUST CHECK THE WEATHER; NO STREAMING"