Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-23-2019, 06:31 AM   #1
danf

Floor repair on Bullet

I started floor repair on my 2016 248RKS.

It started with water by the door but has grown. The floor is the luan sandwich. Unbelievable construction. The top layer of wood is thin and there is layer of shoebox cardboard glued to the top of it. The wood literally falls apart where moisture is present.

Hard tell currently how extensive damage is. I'm thinking that most of the bottom layer of wood is completely detached from the frame and is hanging there by the barrier material on the bottom.

Looks like passenger side from under the fridge/heater up to under the shower. Bathroom feels solid except for one side of the shower. There is a spot on the drivers side by the slide out. I'm not sure if I have to take out the slide out yet. Rear kitchen corner area looks/feels ok. I'll know more after I pull some of the floor off. Once water gets in the floor, there is no way for it to get out. If it gets in on one side, there are spaces/gaps in the foam it can use to literally run entirely across the camper.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6828.jpg
Views:	4410
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	23371   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6827.jpg
Views:	1164
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	23372   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6825.jpg
Views:	2835
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	23373  
danf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 06:53 AM   #2
danf

After pulling it up some. You can see the spot by the slide out. No mold there, but the wood falls right part. It's a bit strange because the wood is better between this spot and the other side that is rotted.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6832.jpg
Views:	984
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	23374   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6833.jpg
Views:	1036
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	23375   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6831.jpg
Views:	844
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	23376  
Old 08-26-2019, 05:23 AM   #3
danf

Found my leak. It's a factory defect. The membrane that is under the floor and is supposed to keep water out develops holes because it is pinched between the frame and the flooring. The floor itself is pathetic in the way it is built. It's a good 3-4 feet between some of the aluminum rails. The wood is actually wood with a shoebox cardboard layers. The layers are glued but when the cardboard layers get wet they just disintegrate. The wood+cardboard layers are 1/4" thick.

The whole floor is

vinyl
cardboard
wood
cardboard
aluminum frame with styrofoam in the voids
cardboard
wood
water barrier cloth
trailer frame.

So what has happened is the water barrier cloth has developed holes because it's pinched between the trailer frame and the rest of the floor. Water is sprayed from the wheels up into the space between the frame and floor and since there are hols in the fabric the water gets in. Once the water gets in, it can't get out. So it starts with the entire bottom wood layer delaminating eventually working up to the top layer of wood.

This is a manufacturing defect since there is no protection against this happening. Every bullet trailer is going to have the problem. Since the vinyl covers everything, owners won't know anything is wrong until the upper layer of wood delaminates and the floor gets soft.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6834.jpg
Views:	3861
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	23429   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6838.jpg
Views:	2942
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	23430   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6843.jpg
Views:	799
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	23431  
Old 08-26-2019, 06:20 AM   #4
Steveo57

Been there done that! I would check very carefully for other leaks. I don't know about you but the number of times I tow in the rain is pretty small. Any water intrusion would be probably be small and I think it would have a chance to dry up.

All of the water damage I've seen is from above and it does get trapped in the floor. It stays wet because a leak from above is a steady source of moisture while a leak from underneath would only happen if you are towing in the rain.

Good luck on your repairs. I replaced mine with plywood and sealed it well. Then put down some vinyl planking flooring. Much nicer and sturdier.
Old 08-26-2019, 07:10 AM   #5
danf

I sprayed in the wheel well to mimic road spray before I pulled up the bottom layer of wood and the wood got even wetter. Then I pulled off the bottom layer of wood to find standing water on top of the fabric. Then I sprayed again and water just comes up through the holes in the fabric. There are multiple holes along the frame rail. My guess is the fabric is riddled with holes along the entire frame. A few or more hours of towing in constant rain would just saturate the floor.

I have a short video of me spraying in the wheel well, but the system wouldn't let me post it.
Old 08-26-2019, 07:15 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

The wheel wells in most "light/Xlite" trailers are "wrapped in Darco". That "thin poly film" just isn't up to the task of protecting the underlying "cardboard/thin luan" layer that is the bottom of the "sandwich floor construction"

What happens is rocks and road debris gets stuck in the tire tread, then, at highway speeds, those pebbles get slung into the Darco and put "pin-prick holes" in the film. Once that happens, it's only a matter of time until you're towing on a wet road, water saturates the film, migrates through the multiple "pin-prick holes" and, with no way out, sits on the cardboard/luan until it's rotted.

I'm facing the same issue with my Cougar and can feel the "cupping of rotted luan" under the Darco. My solution: 1/4" HDPE sheeting, cut to fit the wheelwell area, sealed with DICOR on all edges. Hopefully the thicker HDPE will protect the wheelwells from rock chips and the area won't be saturated with water (any RV's worst enemy) in the future.

What I think happens is the water gets above the Darco, with no way out, it does "it's damage" and eventually the water dissipates. Then the next "wet towing event" it happens again... It's more an accumulation of small amounts of water that do a little damage, followed by "dry wheelwells" until the next wet tow. Over the years, I think the problem creeps up on us, a little at a time until we have some reason to "actually take a critical look at the wheelwell construction" and by then, it's "OMG LOOK AT THIS!!!!!"

I believe that the way the floor is constructed with "junk materials because they are light" and then wrapped in a layer of Darco that prevents the "bucket from emptying" are the reasons that the "sandwich floor" is doomed to fail, sooner or later in almost every RV that's towed over wet roads. Then, add the real potential of a roof or sidewall leak and that makes "adding water to the bucket (darco underlayer) even more of a problem....

Years ago, RV floors were made of marine plywood. On cheaper trailers, that floor was the underside of the trailer and everything below it was exposed to the road. Back then, the underside of the marine plywood was either painted with Spar Varnish or sprayed with undercoating to seal the wood. That costs money, is heavy, so Darco became the "cheaper, lighter way"... I think that we're going to see a move back to waterproof solid floors. Maybe they won't be marine plywood, but probably a "OSB type, Strand board with waterproof glue as the substrate.

I'd say that almost anything would be better than the current sandwich floor. Foam offers no structural integrity and when you get "right down to the reality"... If we can't walk on a 1/4" OSB roof, how can we walk on a 1/4" luan/cardboard floor ??????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 08:17 AM   #7
danf

I've got to call Keystone and the dealer again to see what they say about warranty. The trailer is a 2016. They probably will just laugh at me and tell me to go away. Then I was going to see how much it would cost to get the floor fixed and evaluate whether to keep it. The entire floor needs to be redone. If it's too much money then I will either scrap it or fix it myself. Unbelievable for a 2016.

If I have to do it myself, my plan was to start at the back. It's a rear kitchen. I think I can take out most of the kitchen leaving the fridge. So that means the heater, the stove, the fuse panel/charger has to come out. I think I could prop up the fridge cabinet so I don't have to remove it. Get that area fixed and put back in place and then do the middle up to the bathroom. There is a slide here so I'm hoping I can fix the flooring without removing it maybe from underneath. Once that is fixed, take out the bathroom and bed frame and replace the floor in the rest of the camper. The front seems firmer, but I really don't know how bad it is up there yet. I need to take off the coroplast.

For a fix I was going to add a whole bunch of new aluminum frame members and lay marine 1/4 plywood. I can't go thicker because of the slide unless there is some play that allows me to go to 3/8 or 1/2 inch. The top seals might allow another 1/8 or 1/4. I don't know how the top of the slide is constructed. It looks like there is an inside and outside rubber seal and nothing else. I might have to move the cables.

I've also thought about using sheet metal instead of wood. I'm debating what to do in the frame voids and underneath. I'm not seeing any real reason to have a bottom sheet of wood.

The other thing is I'm trying to figure out how exactly the walls are attached. Looks like the floor sandwich sits on the trailer frame. With the bottom layer of wood rotted, that means I'm going to have to shim between the trailer frame and the aluminum floor frame. Similarly, it looks like the walls sit on top of the floor including top layer of (now rotted) wood. I'll have to shim the walls too or try to insert the new flooring under the walls.

A lot of work for a 3 year old trailer. I'm apprehensive about putting money in it, since the rest of it is built just as bad. If I do it myself, it's mostly just labor and time (that I don't have).
Old 09-20-2019, 02:49 AM   #8
Ccrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf View Post
I've got to call Keystone and the dealer again to see what they say about warranty.
Curious how you made out with these calls. Have a 16 month old Bullet with very similar issues
Ccrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 03:36 AM   #9
German Shepherd Guy

'm facing the same issue with my Cougar and can feel the "cupping of rotted luan" under the Darco. My solution: 1/4" HDPE sheeting, cut to fit the wheelwell area, sealed with DICOR on all edges. Hopefully the thicker HDPE will protect the wheelwells from rock chips and the area won't be saturated with water (any RV's worst enemy) in the future.

Thanks John. I am looking at my wheel wells this week and I think you might be onto something. How are you planning on attaching it?

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 04:19 AM   #10
slow

FWIIW: When I first noticed water intrusion and swelling of the bottom layer of floor on the underside of our Passport in our second season, I had no rock damage to the Darco membrane. What I did have is water entry points at nearly every wall tie down stud/nut along each side of the trailer and wheel skirt mounting screw.

My fix since caught early was to slit the Darco at each area that had swelled, and since it was fall, I left the slits open over the winter. With it being very cold, the underside of the floor freeze dried over the winter. In the spring, I sealed the slits I made with Flex-mend tape and I put a dab of marine silicone at every wall tie down stud/nut. I also removed the plastic wheel skirts and used a syringe with a flexible tube to silicone the area the skirt mounting screws penetrated the Darco.

Four seasons later, I did not have any reoccurrence of the water damage to the underside of the floor.

Here is my original post on the issue: http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=23809

BTW: Our Jayco FW has a aluminum sheet stapled over the wheel well to protect the Darco. And since it has fiberglass insulation under the 5/8 plywood floor, the Darco has small drain holes the full length of the trailer. Something I will be watching closely.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 04:42 AM   #11
danf

For an update. I have a case open with Keystone and my trailer is at the dealer getting an assessment. They take photos, etc and give that information to Keystone. I was told by the dealer that Bullets have a flaw due to Keystone not putting butyl tape under the screws that screw on the apron. They have seen a number of Bullets with the issue and have about 50% success rate for Keystone to do something about it. Sounds like Keystone is sticking to the terms of the warranty (of course), so I'm not sure what chance an out of warranty trailer has. Dealer said uphill battle. They also said they don't fix these floors because they can't and that Keystone doesn't either.

My 3yr old trailer is completely worthless. Other than the floor, I've had no problems. the rest of the trailer is in good shape.
Old 09-20-2019, 06:33 AM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Shepherd Guy View Post
Thanks John. I am looking at my wheel wells this week and I think you might be onto something. How are you planning on attaching it?
I used 1.5" self tapping 1/4" head screws, drilled them into the steel framework on each corner of the wheelwells. On a couple of places I had to drill pilot holes, but for most, the screws "self-tapped" into the steel members. Once secured, I sealed the entire periphery with DICOR sealant. I suppose I "created a new roof to check frequently" with the DICOR, but it was the sealant I had on hand. With a wet rubber glove on my hand, I smoothed the DICOR and pressed it into the seams as much as I could, so hopefully it's a waterproof layer. I'll take a few photos once the sun comes out to better explain what I did.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 09-26-2019, 07:20 PM   #13
mikec557

Why HDPE rather than..

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I used 1.5" self tapping 1/4" head screws, drilled them into the steel framework on each corner of the wheelwells. On a couple of places I had to drill pilot holes, but for most, the screws "self-tapped" into the steel members. Once secured, I sealed the entire periphery with DICOR sealant. I suppose I "created a new roof to check frequently" with the DICOR, but it was the sealant I had on hand. With a wet rubber glove on my hand, I smoothed the DICOR and pressed it into the seams as much as I could, so hopefully it's a waterproof layer. I'll take a few photos once the sun comes out to better explain what I did.
John

Why did you decide on HDPE rather than something like coroplast(sp)? I thought the latter might be easier to work with?

I think I have this situation beginning to develop. My darco is starting to look like an old worn out blue tarp. I was thinking about trying to cover the area with "belly tape" but I think a more solid surface like you're doing is a better solution.

Do you have a source for the 1/4in HDPE?
Or a source for coroplast?

Thanks
Mike
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 01:22 AM   #14
Ccrew

Coroplast only source I've found in black in the necessary width is to buy it from Trekwood.
Ccrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 09:58 AM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec557 View Post
John

Why did you decide on HDPE rather than something like coroplast(sp)? I thought the latter might be easier to work with?

I think I have this situation beginning to develop. My darco is starting to look like an old worn out blue tarp. I was thinking about trying to cover the area with "belly tape" but I think a more solid surface like you're doing is a better solution.

Do you have a source for the 1/4in HDPE?
Or a source for coroplast?

Thanks
Mike
Coroplast, if you've pulled a piece and looked at it, is about 0.25mm (paper thin) thick plastic that's molded into a corrugated sheet that's about 1/8 to 3/16 inch thick. . The structural strength is essentially not more than the 0.25mm plastic can "defend". In other words, not a lot more "defense against rocks thrown from the tire tread" than the DARCO that's already there, pierced with thousands of tiny holes that allow the moisture to reach the luan floor.

So, HDPE 1/4" thick sheeting is SUBSTANTIALLY stronger than the coroplast and capable of preventing rocks from knocking holes in the wheelwell covering.

For me, I've got the extra payload capacity in my Cougar that I can afford to "install 40 pounds of HDPE sheeting". If I were trying to conserve my trailer payload, I might have considered coroplast and "hoped it worked"...

I would have installed 20 ga steel sheeting if I had the tools to fabricate wheelwell liners, but, for me, that's significant "overkill for what's needed" and substantially more weight than I wanted to add to the trailer.

In short, to answer your question, Coroplast, IMHO simply isn't strong enough to be used as a "wheelwell liner" where rocks would likely destroy it in short order. I wanted a more permanent and stronger material to make the repair.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 09-27-2019, 10:04 AM   #16
mikec557

Thanks for your thinking. It makes total sense.

Are you going to try to make either given side a one piece of HDPE install or are outriggers and such going to mandate seaming multiple pieces for each side.

Really like to see pictures when you get it done.

Thanks for your info and advice across all forum topics.

Mike
Old 09-27-2019, 10:06 AM   #17
mikec557

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccrew View Post
Coroplast only source I've found in black in the necessary width is to buy it from Trekwood.
Thanks for the source CCREW. While I probably won't use the coroplast for this project, I'm sure it will handy to have for future projects.

Mike
Old 09-27-2019, 10:48 AM   #18
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec557 View Post
Thanks for your thinking. It makes total sense.

Are you going to try to make either given side a one piece of HDPE install or are outriggers and such going to mandate seaming multiple pieces for each side.

Really like to see pictures when you get it done.

Thanks for your info and advice across all forum topics.

Mike
It's done. If it wasn't raining, I'd slide under the trailer and take a couple of photos, but..... I cut the HDPE to fit the wheelwell spaces between the outriggers. I've got one outrigger directly over the space between the tires, so there's two pieces, both butted up against the outrigger. I ran the HDPE from the front of the wheelwell to the outrigger, then from the outrigger to the aft outrigger. I have enough to run the HDPE all the way to the rear of the trailer on the outside of the main frame rails and plan to do that, but probably not until next spring (after our annual UP fishing trip).

If you do decide to put anything in your wheel wells, make sure you measure both. My roadside wheelwell is 11.5" wide and the curbside wheelwell is 13.25" wide, so don't assume that they are built equal, "they ain't".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 09-28-2019, 04:07 PM   #19
JRTJH
Site Team

Here's a couple of photos of the HDPE installed in my wheelwells.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF4106.jpg
Views:	982
Size:	227.4 KB
ID:	23846   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4107.jpg
Views:	705
Size:	178.0 KB
ID:	23847   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4108.jpg
Views:	950
Size:	168.8 KB
ID:	23848   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4109.jpg
Views:	713
Size:	230.3 KB
ID:	23849   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4110.jpg
Views:	1017
Size:	179.1 KB
ID:	23850  

Name:	DSCF4111.jpg
Views:	649
Size:	258.6 KB
ID:	23851   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4112.jpg
Views:	588
Size:	187.4 KB
ID:	23852   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4113.jpg
Views:	605
Size:	213.3 KB
ID:	23853  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 09-28-2019, 05:04 PM   #20
mikec557

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Here's a couple of photos of the HDPE installed in my wheelwells.
Thanks John

You know what they say, a picture is worth a 1000 words. Looks like I've got a major task coming this Fall.

Did you buy it in black or paint it? I would have guessed nothing would stick to HDPE...

Thanks again
Mike

Tags
bullet, floor