Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Recalls
Click Here to Login

Old 12-19-2018, 08:58 PM   #1
CWtheMan

Raptor Recall

https://www.keystonerv.com/media/914...rigger-web.pdf
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 05:38 AM   #2
Harleydodge

It's a bit of a "head scratcher" how a design like that makes it off the drafting table, much less onto the showroom floor and out to the public.

2013 Raptor 310ts Toy Hauler
2017 Dodge Ram 6.7l CTD DRW Laramie Longhorn
2008 FLHTC Harley.

Harleydodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 06:37 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

This has happened a couple of times in previous years and in different brands. Just one "potential way it got past":
Lippert built the chassis "per Lippert/Keystone specs"
RVIA changed the tire capacity to recommend a load capacity increase
Keystone (with/without Lippert coordination) increases the size of the tires
Keystone ships trailers to dealerships empty, there's no "tire contact problems"
Owners load trailers to GVW max, there's "one outrigger" above a tire that might rub if towed over rough roads or that doesn't provide for sufficient tire travel clearance.

Should it happen? Nope,
Does it happen? Yup, to all manufacturers, especially with changes in spec requirements after design, during manufacture and delivery.

Another probability: Keystone changed from MorRyde suspension to Lippert's suspension (Road Ranger, I think it's called) which has more suspension travel at the equalizer. Lippert says, it's cheaper and better, Keystone installs it, finds the increased travel doesn't really save money, it costs a recall.

I don't have any specifics on what really happened, but I can see several ways that it slipped past everyone. More a case of "sales promises" than "engineering confirmation".... Sort of like the customer hears: Sure, your truck will tow anything on the lot".... Manufacturers get "sucked into that sales gimmick" too....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 07:31 AM   #4
Marvin

Tires contact fenders

I have a 2019 Raptor 354 and the tires rub against the fenders. The referenced recall says "tires that may come into contact with the frame outriggers". What are "frame outriggers"? Does someone have a picture to explain where the contact is?
I attached a picture showing where my tires contact the fenders.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wheel_Fender_Contact_20200409.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	174.2 KB
ID:	28875  
Marvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 07:50 AM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

I don't have a picture handy but a frame outrigger is a triangular piece of metal attached to the frame and floor and tapers up towards the floor as it nears the exterior.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 08:54 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Outriggers are welded to the outside of the main frame rails. Their purpose is to extend the width of the frame (usually above the axles) to accommodate a wider "base foundation" upon which to build the trailer.

Here are two photos, one showing how and where outriggers are used and another showing a single "triangular outrigger" which is the type commonly used by Keystone on their frames.

In your instance, If your wheelwell/plastic fender is on a slide, it may appear further away from the tires than that same axle on the opposing side, where the wheelwell/plastic fender is NOT on a slide. The reason for that difference is the width of the slide fascia which causes the slide wall to sit about 1/2 to 1" further out from the trailer sidewall. That forces the wheelwell/fender to appear further out, away from the tires than on the side that you posted in your photo...

While there may be "a improperly positioned axle" (too far to one side), I'd guess (without inspecting the trailer) that it's the way the slide sits in the slide cutout rather than a misaligned axle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OUTRIGGERS ON FRAME RAILS.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	267.2 KB
ID:	28881   Click image for larger version

Name:	OUTRIGGER ON KEYSTONE FRAME RAIL.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	28882  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 07-28-2020, 11:02 AM   #7
gearhead

Apparently no "Management of Change" process at Keystone.
Boy do they need it.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 12:09 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Apparently no "Management of Change" process at Keystone.
Boy do they need it.
To suggest a "management of change process" at Keystone would suggest that there is "something to change."... It's been my experience that they way Keystone does things hasn't changed much from day #1, back in the 80's, so there's no "change to manage".....

^^^ Said, more in jest than in reality, although, looking back at things, it may be "more true than we'd want to admit".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 07-28-2020, 03:17 PM   #9
wiredgeorge

I liked how the recall said the contact between tire and frame outrigger might cause "handling problems". I suspect when the frame tears the tires apart that will definitely cause handling problems. QC for breakfast anyone? GO KEYSTONE! bwhahahaha I bet their fix is to take the camper to the dealer and he will use a die grinder judiciously grinding off a 1/2" of frame outrigger and perhaps a little bit of tire?
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 06:09 PM   #10
GaryUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
I liked how the recall said the contact between tire and frame outrigger might cause "handling problems". I suspect when the frame tears the tires apart that will definitely cause handling problems. QC for breakfast anyone? GO KEYSTONE! bwhahahaha I bet their fix is to take the camper to the dealer and he will use a die grinder judiciously grinding off a 1/2" of frame outrigger and perhaps a little bit of tire?

Straight from the recall notice:

The remedy is to cut a notch in the affected frame outrigger allowing a minimum of 3 inches of clearance between the tire and the frame outrigger

2019 Laredo 255SRL
2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab
GaryUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 07:17 PM   #11
tech740

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryUT View Post
Straight from the recall notice:

The remedy is to cut a notch in the affected frame outrigger allowing a minimum of 3 inches of clearance between the tire and the frame outrigger

Wow now that’s a quality fix.

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 07:20 PM   #12
flybouy
Site Team

Maybe they should send every owner a 4" angle grinder with an "oops" note in the box.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
raptor