Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-23-2017, 09:21 AM   #1
nukeboyt

Slides Jerky, How to fix

Getting ready to head south and find that driver's side and passenger slide on my Sprinter 5th wheel are jerky.
I'm still an RV'in green horn and I would appreciate some advice on fixing this problem.
nukeboyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 09:29 AM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

What is the charge condition of your battery??? Try it connected to shore power or running TV. JM2¢, Hank ...... If hydraulic, check fluid level.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 09:33 AM   #3
nukeboyt

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
What is the charge condition of your battery??? Try it connected to shore power or running TV. JM2¢, Hank ...... If hydraulic, check fluid level.
Thanks. Battery is new last month. Just put it back in to the RV this morning. I tried shore power before battery attached and again after battery in place. I have BAL accu-slide (cable) slides.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:40 AM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

Since you say BOTH slides act the same, I still suspect a low power problem. I think your manual says not to operate the slide without a fully charged battery connected. I know my Lippert manual does. Good luck. Perhaps someone with the same slides can help, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 10:15 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukeboyt View Post
Getting ready to head south and find that driver's side and passenger slide on my Sprinter 5th wheel are jerky.
I'm still an RV'in green horn and I would appreciate some advice on fixing this problem.

How old is your trailer...how much use has it seen?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 10:19 AM   #6
nukeboyt

It's a 2015, purchased in Nov 2015 and not used much at all. (Less than 20 nights last summer)
Old 01-23-2017, 10:52 AM   #7
xrated

I've got an Impact 303 with two slides and I've never heard them sound like that. They are the same brand BAL Accu- slide. Sorry!
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 11:27 AM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

I'm dealing with the exact same issue. It began after I had my slides serviced. The dealership said it must be worn wear bars and they needed to pull the slides and replace them. I said I didn't think so.....so we left for FL and used them jerking like that to get here. I've contacted BAL/Norco Accuslide and they recommended cleaning the bottom of the slides and then spaying them with Zep 45. I could not find it anywhere (they sell to industrial type outlets) so they sold me a case to the tune of $145. I've yet to get the slides cleaned and sprayed but HOPE that will resolve the issue. I intend to clean all the rubber seals as well since the dealer sprayed them with some sort of lube that I think may have caused the sticking. I appears yours are sticking like mine so the process BAL recommended to me might fix yours. Others have used various products including 303...which I did, but it didn't help. Good luck and post back with any progress.
Old 01-23-2017, 12:44 PM   #9
dcg9381

That's pretty awful.
Check the clearance on all 4 sides of the slides where there are seals. This slide type essentially "floats" on rollers and limiting rollers. On one of my slide the opening was cut too small so it was binding and shredding seals.

Are your cables properly adjusted in terms of pre-load?
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 12:54 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcg9381 View Post
That's pretty awful.
Check the clearance on all 4 sides of the slides where there are seals. This slide type essentially "floats" on rollers and limiting rollers. On one of my slide the opening was cut too small so it was binding and shredding seals.

Are your cables properly adjusted in terms of pre-load?
I don't know if this response was to me, but no, I've not checked the clearances. The dealership was supposed to clean, adjust and lubricate the slides - and I haven't had the time, or good weather, to double check them since we've arrived in FL. Exactly where did you measure and check the pre-load? I printed the BAL/Accuslide manual before I left but I guess I forgot to bring it and now don't have the resources to do that in the trailer unless I go buy another printer; this one seems to have went belly up sitting in here since July.
Old 01-23-2017, 04:15 PM   #11
nukeboyt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I'm dealing with the exact same issue. It began after I had my slides serviced. The dealership said it must be worn wear bars and they needed to pull the slides and replace them. I said I didn't think so.....so we left for FL and used them jerking like that to get here. I've contacted BAL/Norco Accuslide and they recommended cleaning the bottom of the slides and then spaying them with Zep 45. I could not find it anywhere (they sell to industrial type outlets) so they sold me a case to the tune of $145. I've yet to get the slides cleaned and sprayed but HOPE that will resolve the issue. I intend to clean all the rubber seals as well since the dealer sprayed them with some sort of lube that I think may have caused the sticking. I appears yours are sticking like mine so the process BAL recommended to me might fix yours. Others have used various products including 303...which I did, but it didn't help. Good luck and post back with any progress.
I am going to try the Zep 45, if I can find it. The funny thing is that I have not extended the slides at all since I winterized it in late October. I took them out the two days ago when it was raining, and when I tried to go back in that same day, they started making that noise and jerking. I was hoping that when things dried out, that the issue would go away. But so far no luck
Old 01-23-2017, 04:22 PM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukeboyt View Post
I am going to try the Zep 45, if I can find it. The funny thing is that I have not extended the slides at all since I winterized it in late October. I took them out the two days ago when it was raining, and when I tried to go back in that same day, they started making that noise and jerking. I was hoping that when things dried out, that the issue would go away. But so far no luck
Ours began when the temperatures dropped and it got cold (for W TX) which made me think seals. After our trip to the dealer and the ensuing problems I'm still thinking seals, or wrong lube, or something. The company that makes Zep (I talked to them a lot) sells to places like Grainger and some other outlets. Our stores didn't carry it. I've got a case of it (minus 2-I gave them to my son in law) and I would be happy to give you one if we can figure out how to get it to you (I'll never use it up)....just PM me and I'll see if we can make it work. My son in law used it on some house door seals we are working on and he said it's the best stuff he's ever used so I'm hopeful.
Old 01-23-2017, 04:29 PM   #13
BirchyBoy

Is your camper level (front to back and side to side) when you're operating your slides? I had been operating mine while in storage, and the big slide started sounding like it was going to fail. Once it was setup in a spot and leveled, the slide worked as it had been. I'm not going to operate them anymore until the trailer is leveled and ready.
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 04:45 PM   #14
sourdough
Site Team

I don't know about the OP but I've had my slides "strain" and seem to bind when unlevel (and I don't do that any longer) but I've never had them act sticky and jerk....both in and out. And, it happens even when completely level.
Old 01-23-2017, 06:38 PM   #15
Toy boy

I am having the same problem right now my unit is at the dealer, they want 500.00 per slide to install wheels, I posted this question a couple of weeks ago, a couple of answers came up and make sense, one was seals may need to be cleaned due to getting seal cond. on them, I am picking up my unit this sat. I was going to try to clean the seals and sides and install a teflon spray on the bottom side. PLEASE KEEP ME POSTED on what you find I need to address this my self THANKS.

If you go back and check " slides jump "

2015 fuzion 371
2012 gmc drw
Toy boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 07:24 AM   #16
gearhead

Here's what helped mine a lot. I about wore Google out looking.
Clean the bottom and sides of the slide with a cloth dampened with acetone. Try a spot first to be sure it doesn't damage the finish. Then use "WD-40 WITH PTFE THAT DOESNT ATTRACT DUST OR DIRT". It will say that on the label. I think I got it at Walmart. Spray that, using the nozzle extension behind the bottom seal, the entire length. Use a seal lube on the seals.
To be honest I can't remember if I sprayed the WD40 on the slide itself or not, it's been awhile.
Let us know if it works.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 02:25 PM   #17
dcg9381

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy boy View Post
I am having the same problem right now my unit is at the dealer, they want 500.00 per slide to install wheels,
If you move the lower seal a bit, you should be able to see the existing wheels. Are they in good shape?
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 04:30 PM   #18
Toy boy

No wheels on the living room or kitchen slide right now the dealer wants to remove slides and install wheels on slide at a cost of 500.00 per slide bedroom has slide wheels,and states that he will not warranty it. I told them no way, I am picking unit up this Saturday and plan on doing what stated in previous posts, I am very disappointed in the dealer, not willing to help out at all. I love the coach and the Keystone product line NOT HAPPY with the dealer! Been getting royal run around.

2012 gmc drw
2015 fuzion 371
Toy boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 04:48 PM   #19
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy boy View Post
No wheels on the living room or kitchen slide right now the dealer wants to remove slides and install wheels on slide at a cost of 500.00 per slide bedroom has slide wheels,and states that he will not warranty it. I told them no way, I am picking unit up this Saturday and plan on doing what stated in previous posts, I am very disappointed in the dealer, not willing to help out at all. I love the coach and the Keystone product line NOT HAPPY with the dealer! Been getting royal run around.

2012 gmc drw
2015 fuzion 371
When talking to Keystone owner relations (and they were talking to the factory folks) about our sticky situation, they advised that they used wear bars on the big slides and rollers on the bedroom slides. How many models/lines this applies to I don't know but it sounded pretty inclusive (those with the Accuslide system). BAL said they could send me some rollers but when we got into the details that kind of fell apart. They said all they did was provide the hardware; Keystone did the cutouts, made the boxes and installed it all so they weren't privy to all the ins and outs.

If your dealer is willing to pull the slides and install the wheels for $500 I think I might go for that. My dealer said it would be $1200 minimum just to pull the slide and reinstall it (one - I need two done). Rollers, wear bars, misc. would all be on top of that. The other show stopper for me; I went back in the shop to look at one where they were removing the slide to replace the wear bar. It was a MESS. It was a kitchen slide and all the appliances had been removed and just layed out in the shop floor. The slide was laying catywampus across the floor and I don't see how all of it wasn't getting scratched up or bent. There were screws and piece parts strewn all over. I don't want to put one of my slides, and in this case two (large ones) thru that - or myself for that matter. I will exhaust every avenue I can before I will do that. I asked emphatically that they let me take the RV to the factory and let me pay top pricing but that was a no go as well. Hopefully one of the remedies mentioned previously will help us all out.
Old 01-25-2017, 08:50 AM   #20
concours

I don't have the same trailer as you but have large slides that often become jerky and noisy. I clean and lube the seals note CLEAN then lube also I take a long handled soft brush and wash the underside with car wash and wax soap Problem gone for several months. I believe the big concern is dirt and dryness on the slide rail.
Mor/Ryde XFactor and Wet Bolts
1982 BMW R100
concours is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide