Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 07-05-2014, 03:06 AM   #1
Jeremym27

I Did Not Choose This War...

We have our TT set up for the year at Bowdish lake campground in RI. Last year was our first and had a good time.

This year started off even better, until I got my visitor. Every morning at 5 am (on the dot, this thing must wear a rolex it stole) I hear knocking on my TT door. Then it moves to the bathroom door (exterior) then moves to the back window, then finally goes to the window over the table in the kitchen area. Each morning in this same order.

The first morning this happened I was pissed that someone was pranking me at that hour of the morning. If only it were that easy. Pranksters would eventually move on; instead I'm now engaged in a war I never chose.

Every morning a woodpecker does this ritual and finishes by using its claws to grab onto the window over the table and hangs there staring into the camper. It looks all over the place like it has been trained by a burgler to case the joint and find out where the goods are.

It is a big bird, over a foot tall and 2 foot wingspan. It is fearless. We make eye contact and it just stares me down. I yell at it and it just gives me a mocking look and won't budge. No matter how many Dirty Harry movies I watch and despite demanding that my doctor put me on testosterone treatments; I have never once won a staring contest against it. I'm considering having tear duct surgery to improve my chances, but I think I would lose my amateur status and no longer be eligible for the Olympics.

You may think I'm crazy, but I believe it has plans to replace me and live happily ever after with my girlfriend.

It's become personal. One of us will not survive to the end of camping season; I'm just not sure which one it will be.

My therapist says I should just accept it as part of the family. My AA sponsor says we should get a six pack and pull an all - nighter with a BB gun. My priest assures me that I will be forgiven for whatever transpires as long as he gets his cut. My attorney now demands that I pay a large retainer in advance and thinks I should get my estate in order.

My question to you is, what do YOU think I should do???

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1404558250486.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	6463
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1404558276645.jpg
Views:	442
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	6464

Parked year round at the campground.

I'd love to hear about your mods!
Jeremym27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 03:13 AM   #2
poncho62

Hmmmm....I was going to call BS until I saw the pics....2ft woodpecker?

Anyways...I will send my 6ft rabbit over, Harvey might be able to help
poncho62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 03:45 AM   #3
Jeremym27

It's not 2 ft tall, but it's wing span is. Don't let the size fool you, I'm convinced it is going to shatter a window the way it pecks on them. Grrr!

Old 07-05-2014, 03:56 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

The Pileated Woodpecker is a HUGE bird and in Michigan, is an endangered species. If you do go the "6 Pack/BB gun all nighter" route, don't advertise your actions !!!

We have a pair that have taken over our lake. From what I've read, each pair require about 20 acres of forest, thrive in areas of "soft wood" and "decaying trees". The pair near us took down a 12-14" diameter dead poplar tree in our back yard in about 3 days. First they started near the middle, knocking out "fist sized" chunks of dead wood. Moved up, then down the trunk searching for carpenter ants (their preferred food source). By the time they were finished, about all that was holding up that "swiss cheese like" poplar tree was the skeleton like maze of holes...

About the size of a big crow, they are a daunting bird. I wouldn't want to get on the "angry end" of that beak !!!!!

Possibly the one that has become your "friend" is trying to lay claim to it's territory and protect it from other birds ? It may be attempting to "dominate" the bird it sees in the reflection in your windows? Possibly a couple of days of covering the outside of the windows with a nonreflective covering (taped on paper bags) may discourage it from the fight ???

Good Luck,

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 04:05 AM   #5
Jeremym27

Yeah, it's a good sized bird for sure. If they were in your backyard you know the sound they make pecking. Imagine how loud it would be on your TT! Not a great way to wake up.

Old 07-05-2014, 04:07 AM   #6
Jeremym27

Now that you mention it, it is a pair of them. One sits in a tree nearby (I'm guessing the female?) While this one does battle with me.

Old 07-05-2014, 04:31 AM   #7
hankpage
Site Team

Like John said, He is at battle with the bird in the mirror. I have a pair of Cardinals that attack my windows every spring .. first the male to win his lady and then the female to protect her nest. Once the young fledge they all just hang out and leave colorful deposits on my white vinyl fence.
I would try clear plastic taped to the offending windows for a while to discourage his visits. Good luck and don't watch any Alfred Hitchcock movies, Hank

Let us know what happens .... if we don't hear back, we know who won.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 05:47 AM   #8
hankaye

Jeremym27, Howdy;

Happy to hear you found a friend !

Did a quick Google search and found these links;

http://www.nhptv.org/natureworks/pileatedwoodpecker.htm

and

http://birding.about.com/od/birdbeha...ker-Damage.htm

First one needs to understand their enemy, then one needs to know the ways to deter them...

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 06:03 AM   #9
Murphsmom

We haven't had to deal with woodpeckers, but we have had an ongoing battle with cliff swallows. They make their nests under the eaves of the house and then proceed to "decorate" the front of the house and the large picture windows. Over the years the only things we have been able to use that consistently deter them are plastic garbage bags. We shred them the long way and fasten them under the eaves. I don't know whether you have any way of doing something like this, but it might work on woodpeckers, too.

If you try it, please get us a picture. Friends refer to our place as "the house with eyelashes". Better that than the one with unwanted whitewash.
Murphsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 06:09 AM   #10
Jim & DJ

Woodpecker ????????

You may think I am nuts but go to Walmart childrens toy section and purchase about 6 of the little rubber or plastic SNAKES (12 inches or so) they sell. Tape them in various area's the birds frequent and it just may solve your problem.

Keeps the wayward things away from my front porch hummer feeded. Try it before you laugh !!!!!!!
Jim & DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 07:07 AM   #11
outwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & DJ View Post
You may think I am nuts but go to Walmart childrens toy section and purchase about 6 of the little rubber or plastic SNAKES (12 inches or so) they sell. Tape them in various area's the birds frequent and it just may solve your problem.

Keeps the wayward things away from my front porch hummer feeded. Try it before you laugh !!!!!!!
I was gonna suggest the same thing. When I was a kid, we lived in a house with cedar siding. The woodpeckers loved pecking it until my dad hung rubber snakes on it.

Works best if only the head is affixed and the body of the snake is left loose to where it can move in the breeze

When NASA had troubles with woodpeckers attacking the foam on the shuttle, they spent millions trying to scare them away when all they needed was a box of dime store snakes *laf*

2012 Keystone Vantage 32FLS
outwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 08:39 AM   #12
KanTC

In addition to the toy rubber snakes, you can also try a life-sized (yard ornament) plastic owl. The owl is a predator, and
the owl ornaments are commonly used in garden areas to keep birds & small critters away! We had trouble with birds
roosting in a tree next to the driveway (leaving UN-welcome gifts on our vehicles), so DH put an owl in the tree.
Given that you're in a c/g (can't damage their trees), maybe you could nail the owl to a 4 ft tall post (on a base), and
move it around as needed. Check the gardening section of your favorite big box or hardware store.

http://www.mainstsupply.com/product.cfm/4/13/76215

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/dalen-...oy-owl--245191

http://www.ehow.com/how_7695957_deco...sized-owl.html

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:15 AM   #13
b.d.m

first, that woodpecker looks like a condor, or some sort of raptor / prehistoric bird.

Now on to the problem.. Air Soft Gun.. isn't going to kill it but will spook it enough to encourage it to move on. Do a amazon search.

It also works well on chipmunks, squirrels, and other small pests, but is next to useless on large determined raccoon.

Also with the airsoft gun IF you happen to miss the bird and hit the window its not going to break it or harm it in anyway.

2014 333 MKS
b.d.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:02 AM   #14
dandjh1958

I just wanted everyone to know that after reading this post I had a nightmare last night..... Giant varmints were eating all our lawn furniture cushions as well as all our electrical wiring and giant woodpeckers were attacking our roof. Sounded like machine gun fire inside the trailer!!

I think I'm taking a break from the forum and going camping..... I'll be sitting in the trailer at night, with my 1000 candle power spot light by my bed, chanting: "it was only a dream..... it was only a dream...... it was only a dream....."

Happy camping!!
Julie (and Don)
dandjh1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:11 AM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

dandjh1958,

Maybe you didn't get the "word".... Keystone builds Hideouts that are "pecker-wood-proof" You're safe as long as you don't hang a wooden sign by your door

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:35 AM   #16
KanTC

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.d.m View Post
.......Now on to the problem.. Air Soft Gun.. isn't going to kill it but will spook it enough to encourage it to move on. Do a amazon search.

It also works well on chipmunks, squirrels, and other small pests, but is next to useless on large determined raccoon.

Also with the airsoft gun IF you happen to miss the bird and hit the window its not going to break it or harm it in anyway.
Granted, I've never camped in RI (where the OP's RV is located), but IMHO it seems unlikely that a c/g would appreciate,
nor allow, campers shooting at the local critters of any kind. That may possibly land someone in "a heap of trouble",
and especially if/when it's a protected bird as previously mentioned?

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:36 PM   #17
vampress_me

So, depending on how the woodpecker is "gotten rid of", my husband wants to know if it tastes like chicken...

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:22 AM   #18
LuvsPalmTrees

I live in Michigan and camp in very wooded state parks. I hope I don't encounter any of these beautiful birds. They would scare the hell out of me. But, I would love to watch them in the wild, not on my TT.
LuvsPalmTrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 05:20 AM   #19
Triplespool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & DJ View Post

Jim&DJ,
I have plastic snakes and a owl in my barn. It does work for a while, but for me it lasted for 6 months. Now the birds land on top of the owl.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:33 AM   #20
crash

Funny you say that my neighbor has problems with squirrels eating his apples,pears and peaches off his trees,he too tried the owl trick and it worked for awhile now the squrrils set on top of the owl eating the fruit I will try and get some picture of that funny stuff.
2008 F350 chipped and bagged 6.4 power stroke crew cab 4x4.2013 384pk Raptor (Gravy Train) 2006 Fatboy w/18inch ape hangers,2006 883c sporty,Army wife Kim,Cocoa (The Boarder Collie) and Rebel (The English Bulldog) (THE RICH RAGE WAR,BUT ITS THE POOR THAT DIE)
crash is offline   Reply With Quote