Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2021, 10:50 AM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

I have to chuckle when I read posts from a newbie whose SUV or light half ton is "barely under one of the limits and "busts all the other ones, but the rest will be OK because we <fill in the blank with your choice of excuses>... The comments, we travel light, we never tow with water, we are "minimalists" and don't need much to be happy, and the list could go on forever....

Then, a month or two passes and that same member makes posts about, "We have 70 gallons of fresh water, 78 gallons of gray capacity and 38 gallons of black tank capaicty. When we dry camp, we can stay in a remote area for at least a week with the 8 cuft refrigerator and 4 golf cart batteries. We use our 3500 watt inverter generator to keep them charged until we can install our solar system.... AND: there's not even one post about their "new HD tow vehicle"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 11:17 AM   #22
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I have to chuckle when I read posts from a newbie whose SUV or light half ton is "barely under one of the limits and "busts all the other ones, but the rest will be OK because we <fill in the blank with your choice of excuses>... The comments, we travel light, we never tow with water, we are "minimalists" and don't need much to be happy, and the list could go on forever....

Then, a month or two passes and that same member makes posts about, "We have 70 gallons of fresh water, 78 gallons of gray capacity and 38 gallons of black tank capaicty. When we dry camp, we can stay in a remote area for at least a week with the 8 cuft refrigerator and 4 golf cart batteries. We use our 3500 watt inverter generator to keep them charged until we can install our solar system.... AND: there's not even one post about their "new HD tow vehicle"....
Or they dissaper for a few months then start a new thread "what's the best sway control" or "what's better, air bags or Timbrens?", or "will new shocks help level my tv?".
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 11:50 AM   #23
travelin texans

I was just requested by the moderator of another forum to list my qualifications for giving "weight police" advice. Could some of you guys that also give advice about weights on here PLEASE tell me what qualifications I should list for him!
Years of experience & common sense didn't seem to be enough?
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 01:54 PM   #24
notanlines

Danny, I suppose the ability to add and subtract, read and write, and physically be able to drive through the Flying J parking lot as far as the CAT scale might be a good start. Odds are this fool won't catch on regardless...
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 04:43 PM   #25
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
I was just requested by the moderator of another forum to list my qualifications for giving "weight police" advice. Could some of you guys that also give advice about weights on here PLEASE tell me what qualifications I should list for him!
Years of experience & common sense didn't seem to be enough?
Danny,

Just show him your badge:
Attached Images

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 05:03 PM   #26
BigBobIa

Quote:
Danny,

I so miss a like button!!
Old 04-19-2021, 04:16 AM   #27
Todd727

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
The yellow sticker is a convenient tool for shopping or planning because it give you a number to use in calculating allowable pin or hitch weight. But once you have actual scale weights of the truck and trailer loaded, the yellow sticker becomes moot.

Yes, it is nice to know the pin or hitch weight; but in truth, unless the scale tells a story of over max weight for any of the mandated weight ratings it really is unimportant except for discussions on internet forums.
I've been saying the same thing for years. Somehow this yellow sticker has become gospel in the RV community. It is not that way for contractors and equipment haulers. That stupid sticker is never mentioned amongst that group.

I believe it's an easy number for people to read without any understanding of where that number came from. Furthermore, if they swap tire sizes, that sticker useless. I think the real issue is people are math challenged and don't want to put the effort into weighing their truck and then truck + loaded trailer.
Old 04-19-2021, 05:27 AM   #28
flybouy
Site Team

Some folks DON'T WANT TO KNOW. If they don't know then it doesn't exist. I call it laziness. Some folks fely on the media and entertzinment talking heads totell them everything from whom to vote for, how to be thinking "corectly" to what producfs to buy. Absolutely no valid reasoning other than that person is popular. Math? Buy $9.13 product, hand the cashier a $10 bill then after they input that say, here's a quater. Then stand back and watch the confusion ensue.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 06:12 AM   #29
Inspector128

What surprised me was that the payload for his F350 is only 2395 lbs? Our 3/4 ton Silverado (diesel) was 2450 lbs. Our current 1ton Silverado is 3550 lbs- and that’s a loaded LTZ.

Where’s all that Ford alum. weight savings?

Na na nay na-good by! (Couldn’t resist)

Chief Inspector-(outranks the Weight Police Lieutenant)
Inspector128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 06:20 AM   #30
Urbish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackrock View Post
My new wife weighs half what my last wife did. That helps with my load a lot.
Oooh, now you can get another one to bring along as a 'spare'.
Urbish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 07:17 AM   #31
notanlines

Quote:
Originally Posted by [I
Inspector128;444705]What surprised me was that the payload for his F350 is only 2395 lbs? Our 3/4 ton Silverado (diesel) was 2450 lbs. Our current 1ton Silverado is 3550 lbs- and that’s a loaded LTZ.

Where’s all that Ford alum. weight savings?

Na na nay na-good by! (Couldn’t resist)

Chief Inspector-(outranks the Weight Police Lieutenant)[/I]
I'm guessing you got your GM wings where? You could stand a pair of 'inspector specs'....to read everything a little closer.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 07:18 AM   #32
CWtheMan

Because I’m always reviewing tire/wheel specifications I saw something very unusual for a 2017 certified vehicle. The trailer may have been built before the RVIA 10% minimum load capacity reserves for Original Equipment tires became an active requirement for trailer builder members.

The procedure I’m going to point out was a common practice used by Keystone (and others) for OEM tire fitments. I have not seen it used on vehicles built after the RVIA tire recommendation became active.

I copied the OPs vehicle certification picture and underlined in red the specifications for minimum axle and tire fitments. I suspect the axle manufacturers certification was 5200#. RV trailer manufacturers have the approval to set the axle loads below the axle manufacturer’s certifications and recertify them to a value that coincides with tire loads they want to use as OEM. With the OPs axles they went to the extreme, because it’s within the FMVSS to do so and still be certifiable. Notice the vehicle certification label has certified axles of 5080#. All ST225/75R15 LRD tires have a maximum load capacity of 2540# x 2 = 5080#.

IMO, the tires, at the very minimum, should be ST225/75R15 LRE or LRF. So the OP should seriously think about going up to a LRE with his next set of replacements.

It’s just an observation folks. Sorry I dragged it out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	TIRE AND LOADING INFORMATION.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	167.1 KB
ID:	33066
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 07:31 AM   #33
Lawdog

Smile

Quote:
Danny,

Love it! Good thread and should be helpful to the OP.

RAM 3500 Cummins HO
2016 Cougar X-Lite 28RDB
Kawasaki Teryx 4 LE
Lawdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 08:49 AM   #34
travelin texans

Quote:
Danny,

Thanks John!
Now there will be no question when I whip this out!

I've already been banned twice, once for 2 weeks the other for 2 months, for pointing out to readers that they may want to check weights towing with their 1/2 tons, which was contrary to what that moderator with his F150 towing beast advised.
Whipping out my new shiny badge will probably get me permanently banned, but I'll do it anyway.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote