Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-20-2021, 12:01 PM   #61
JRTJH
Site Team

The "base curb weight" for Ford SuperDuty trucks is listed in their specifications pages on the Ford.com website.

Here's the "base curb weight" for the "base model crewcab, long bed, F350 4x4 in each engine option:

Base Curb Weight - F-350 DRW 6.2L 7,392
Base Curb Weight - F-350 DRW 6.7L 8,133
Base Curb Weight - F-350 DRW 7.3L 7,388

As you can see, the new "big block 7.3l engine is actually 4 pounds lighter than the older 6.2l engine and the diesel engine is 741 pounds heavier than the 6.2l.

What does this mean to you? If you find a truck on the lot with all the options you want, look at the engine that's installed and at the payload sticker. The same "option laden truck" with a different engine will weigh what the difference is in the list above.

For example, if you find a truck with the options you want and it has a 6.2l engine. The same optioned truck with a diesel will have a payload 741 pounds lower. That same 6.2l truck, optioned the same with a 7.3l engine will have 4 pounds MORE payload.

Just a comment about your description of trucks in your posts. Ford does not market a "LARAMIE" package. That package is exclusively found on RAM trucks. Ford's "LARIAT" package is what I think you're referring to.... While that doesn't make a "big difference" it can get confusing if in a second paragraph, you refer only to "Laramie" and not also to Ford, it can lead a reader down the RAM road rather than down the FORD road... That's where you'll start getting comments about "Don't get the coil rear suspension" or "make sure the truck doesn't have RAM boxes"... That's when you stop getting "specific advice and start getting "crap that doesn't apply"....

Anyway, I hope the above weight information will give you a bit better perspective on what "YOUR special order truck" payload should be, compared to a similar truck with a different engine that you find sitting on a dealer's lot.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 12:32 PM   #62
travelin texans

Regardless of truck I'd chose the 3.73 for all round performance & fuel economy. If you're towing regularly in the mountains the 4.10 would be a better option.
Personally I'd stick with the 3500 "Laramie" brand of truck!
Just my .02!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 12:39 PM   #63
Mayne_Doc

Truck ordered

Well, the truck is being ordered next week. Here is what I ended up with:

F350 Supercab DRW 6.7L Turbo Diesel 4WD with 4.1 ratio and a 397amp alternator. 10 speed automatic

It has 17" tires and a 35gal fuel tank, both of which you cannot upgrade

I got the towing package and the 14,000 GVWR package. Trailer TPMS & Camera system. 5th wheel puck system. Adaptive steering.

Thanks to all of you, I did not buy the wrong truck

This massive beast is setting me back a bundle but I know I will not need a new truck for awhile even if my towable changes.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.

Karel
Mayne_Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 02:41 PM   #64
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayne_Doc View Post
Well, the truck is being ordered next week. Here is what I ended up with:

F350 Supercab DRW 6.7L Turbo Diesel 4WD with 4.1 ratio and a 397amp alternator. 10 speed automatic

It has 17" tires and a 35gal fuel tank, both of which you cannot upgrade

I got the towing package and the 14,000 GVWR package. Trailer TPMS & Camera system. 5th wheel puck system. Adaptive steering.

Thanks to all of you, I did not buy the wrong truck

This massive beast is setting me back a bundle but I know I will not need a new truck for awhile even if my towable changes.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.

Karel
Congratulations! You won’t be sorry
Old 04-10-2021, 03:32 PM   #65
notanlines

Mayne, nice truck. I am not certain that you won’t be getting a 48 gallon fuel tank.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 08:21 AM   #66
Mayne_Doc

I hope it's the bigger tank. That would help.

Crossing my fingers. I will let you know. It will be months before I get it and it may be delayed because of the chip shortage and the shutdown of some Ford plants.
Mayne_Doc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
raptor