Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 03-14-2021, 11:53 AM   #1
kfp673

Factory Floor Replacement mess

Hello All.

I have a rant about Keystone and just wanted to post for the sake of sharing stories. After having our dealer review a strange and growing soft spot on our floor, we sent Outback travel trailer back to their factory in December to replace the floor. Very long story short, it is a 2018 that developed unexplainable soft spots but passed the dealers pressurized leak test twice. Dealer contacted Keystone and they immediately agreed to repair but needed to take it back to the factory to do so and would giving it an entire floor replacement.

Fast forward to about 3-4 weeks ago, I was on this forum prepared to post about how positive an experience it had been but decided to wait. Throughout the 2 month process I dealt primarily with 2 ladies. One handled planning and transportation details and the other was a service writer. Both of these ladies from Keystone were fantastic. Very prompt with replies to my questions, dates were very accurate, and even were able to get my repair completed a month earlier than the original date.

Fast forward this past week... Trailer got delivered back to our dealer. The dealer did a quick review and noticed a couple minor issues. A decal had been damaged and some lose molding. They repaired and called saying it was ready. Well.. that is where the good news ends for this story. When I got to the dealer the service writer I work with said I should take my time, open up the trailer, and go over it as best I can so that anything damaged or problems found can be noted and covered by Keystone. Keeping in mind that the entire shell, all plumbing, electrical, etc had to be removed to replace the floor, I expected to find a few things. After my wife and I did a 30 minute inspection, the only thing I can say they did well was replace the floor. The floor itself is solid and installed very nicely. EVERYTHING else is a disaster. If you told me they grabbed a high school kid with no experience and had him put the trailer back together I would 100% believe you. Just in that 30 minute inspection I made a list of 35 items. Granted, some are small like torn seal on storage compartment door. Easy fix. But others like installing the shower controls upside down, installing the kitchen sink faucet backwards, unaligned slide outs, Outdoor kitchen fridge not secured, drawers damaged, almost every seal damaged, and I could create a whole post just on the silicone & roof sealing job they did. The entire shower is pulled away from the wall leaving this awful looking silicone bead on the wall. They must have needed to remove the front shell. The seal they did across the main roof seam putting it back together literally looks like if I told my 4yr son "Here's a 5 gallon bucket of play-doh, smash it with your fingers over this entire seam".

I could go on and on and don't want to bore you with all the details. Needless to say, we are pissed and did not take the trailer home. After completing my inspection and taking 57 pictures we spent the next 30 minutes reviewing with our dealer service writer and manager. I am a bit disappointed in them as well for not giving it a better check and knowing what to look for, but whatever.. this is really a Keystone problem. They took what was a well cared for and very clean 2 yr trailer and destroyed it. Dealer recommended we get Keystone involved so I created a document with details and pictures and sent it to them last night. We will call as well on Monday . I am pretty sure they will warranty authorize fix for all of this, but I'm not sure how much of it can be repaired. How do you fix the fact that someone literally smeared insane amount of silicone all over slide mounting and slide topper mounting brackets?? I'm not convinced it will ever be back to how it was when we sent it in let alone new.We have a trip planned starting on 3/28 and a few smaller ones in April, so we are now against a wall all while making a monthly payment!!

Anyway, sorry for the long post but figured I would share.
kfp673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 04:51 AM   #2
gregrc75

This is awful. Our 2018 Premier is at the factory right now undergoing the floor replacement. My fear is that we dropped off an immaculate, well maintained trailer (except for the faulty floor) and it is going to come back a mess. Thank you for posting this. It helps me know what to look at when we go to the dealer to pick it up.

Greg
2022 Cougar 25RDS
2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD gas
Fairhaven, MA
gregrc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 05:01 AM   #3
kfp673

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregrc75 View Post
This is awful. Our 2018 Premier is at the factory right now undergoing the floor replacement. My fear is that we dropped off an immaculate, well maintained trailer (except for the faulty floor) and it is going to come back a mess. Thank you for posting this. It helps me know what to look at when we go to the dealer to pick it up.
Yes, when they deliver it back to your dealer and your dealer says it's time for pickup, go there knowing you might not take it home. Hopefully you will have better luck than we did. I was in regular contact with Keystone throughout the process, and after learning from my dealer how many Keystone products are going back for floors, and speaking with Keystone themselves, I believe they have a dedicated plant just for this at this point. And as stated, they did a great job on the floor itself. My feeling is they have so many floors needing to be replaced by customers asking to have the unit back by Spring that the reassemble process is rushed and inexperienced workers are being used.
Crawl underneath, open every drawer, get on the roof if you can, etc. and inspect it all. My inspection was in the dealers lot so I did not have power or water. I am super nervous about the install of the furnace, water heater, water pump, etc. All of that is originally mounted to the floor and needed to be removed.

Anyway, fingers crossed you have a better crew working on yours.
Old 03-15-2021, 05:07 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

This advice is too late for the posters above but is offered to anyone reading this. The key to a successful outcome IMO is to document the condition of the trailer when you place it in the dealer's hands. Take photos, LOTS of photos. I would get a print out of the photos and and hand them over to the dealer with a written list of any defects (ex. "scratch on inside of bathroom door at towel hook approximately 3" long in photo #16). Doing this can save you and the dealer a lot of headaches down the road. When a project that's that extensive and over a span of weeks the dealer is not going to remember if there was a nick in the molding or a scratch in a cabinet door when you dropped it off.

When I was working I traveled extensively and rented more cars than I care to think about. I was in the habit of taking photos of the car I rented when I picked it up and when I dropped it off. Twice I had the car rental agency in St. Louis try to blame me for damages that I can only guess their lot person was responsible for. On both occasions an email with the photos attached promptly put an end to their claims.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 05:41 AM   #5
gregrc75

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
This advice is too late for the posters above but is offered to anyone reading this. The key to a successful outcome IMO is to document the condition of the trailer when you place it in the dealer's hands. Take photos, LOTS of photos. I would get a print out of the photos and and hand them over to the dealer with a written list of any defects (ex. "scratch on inside of bathroom door at towel hook approximately 3" long in photo #16). Doing this can save you and the dealer a lot of headaches down the road. When a project that's that extensive and over a span of weeks the dealer is not going to remember if there was a nick in the molding or a scratch in a cabinet door when you dropped it off.

When I was working I traveled extensively and rented more cars than I care to think about. I was in the habit of taking photos of the car I rented when I picked it up and when I dropped it off. Twice I had the car rental agency in St. Louis try to blame me for damages that I can only guess their lot person was responsible for. On both occasions an email with the photos attached promptly put an end to their claims.
Good advice. Fortunately I thought of this when we dropped it off and took about 60 photos. I also walked all around the outside and also the inside and made a clear video incase I did not take a photo of a certain area.

Greg
2022 Cougar 25RDS
2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD gas
Fairhaven, MA
gregrc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 06:31 AM   #6
Summergirl

I am sorry to hear that your trailer came back with a load of deficiencies.
I guess with them rushing to get it done quality suffers.
Our was completed last year and it took 5 months for them to transport, assess, get the parts, do the repair, inspect it and transport back. Ours didn’t go to Indiana but to the Oregon plant instead as we are on the west coast.
Ours came back in great condition. Few things that needed clean up but overall it is fine.
Old 03-23-2021, 04:56 PM   #7
Whykeystone

Hi,

I have the SAME EXACT ISSUE! It is a nightmare what Keystone has done to my 2019 Premier. We should talk!
Whykeystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 05:50 PM   #8
kfp673

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whykeystone View Post
Hi,

I have the SAME EXACT ISSUE! It is a nightmare what Keystone has done to my 2019 Premier. We should talk!
Sorry to hear that. I actually picked mine up from the dealer today. Keystone approved all repairs. We leave for a long trip on Thursday so we needed to get it home to prepare. Dealer got through about 75% of the items and I will bring it back in May or June for the rest. Dealer did a MUCH better job than the factory. I also pushed on the factory rep to get me the promised letter which guarantees 12 month warranty from the date of floor repair on anything that was touched during that floor replacement. Anyway, we are getting there. Still about 5-10 things left to address including by far the worst front cap roof seal you have ever seen. Oh, and while the dealer tech was under the camper he found the front cap totally un sealed to the extent that the insulation was pushing out. Thankfully he saw that and was able to re-seal it. It really is a disgrace what they are doing to trailers.

While I am not through this, I highly recommend reaching out directly to Keystone and making them aware of your situation in parallel with the dealer.

Good luck with it!

Oh.. and keep an eye out for the "little things" as well. Our trailer came back with out a propane tank cover, battery box lid, rear bumper caps, pins to secure the luggage, bike rack that came on our outback, missing cover for the front porch light, and I'm probably missing a few other things. I found it easy to get caught up in the bigger issues but be aware of those items as well as they add up. I can only imagine the pile of parts and the guys at Keystone scratching their heads thinking "Hmmm, I wonder who's trailer this came from"
Old 03-26-2021, 09:47 PM   #9
Jack F

Floor replacement

I am currently going through the same thing, all the skirting is damaged on mine, looks like a 7 year old siliconed it back together. Decals scratched, fiberglass cracked, rear wall bowed out, and more. I took many pictures, and talked with Keystone, they are waiting for the pictures and an estimate to repair from my dealer. They destroyed my trailer that I bought new in the fall of 2019, I am disgusted with them. Hopefully they will pay the dealer to make all the necessary repairs, but I think I am going to get out of that trailer after it is repaired, I do not trust the quality of what I can't see now. I have been working on documenting notes on the pictures for hours already, have well over 70 pictures. It's just a bad nightmare right now.
Jack F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 04:18 AM   #10
kfp673

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack F View Post
I am currently going through the same thing, all the skirting is damaged on mine, looks like a 7 year old siliconed it back together. Decals scratched, fiberglass cracked, rear wall bowed out, and more. I took many pictures, and talked with Keystone, they are waiting for the pictures and an estimate to repair from my dealer. They destroyed my trailer that I bought new in the fall of 2019, I am disgusted with them. Hopefully they will pay the dealer to make all the necessary repairs, but I think I am going to get out of that trailer after it is repaired, I do not trust the quality of what I can't see now. I have been working on documenting notes on the pictures for hours already, have well over 70 pictures. It's just a bad nightmare right now.
Ya, it's a mess for sure. I will say that I have had zero issues having anything I found covered. I take it back second week in May to continue with my list of repairs and suspect I will likely need one more visit after that. We took a week long trip last week which is the first time using it since the first round of dealer repairs. In general it was decent but we did find 4 or 5 more things to add to the list including a terrible job of sealing the back wall. The underside was left totally exposed meaning if you lay on the ground and look up at the back wall you can see the wood from the interior wall. No Darco or sealant etc.
My wife and I have had many discussions thinking the same as you about getting rid of the camper. Especially since every electrical wire and every piece of plumbing had to be cut and re-connected. If they did so poorly on the simple stuff, when will the important things start causing issues?? But, we have a loan on it and have only owned the unit 2 years so we would be VERY upside down I'm sure. And even if we owned it outright, not sure I could swallow taking a major loss.
Anyway, just my $.02. Good luck with the repairs! I suspect you will have no problem getting everything covered. Hopefully this flood of warranty claims around floor replacements will spark some internal change at Keystone. Highly unlikely but one can hope ;-)

Tags
floor