Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2020, 09:55 AM   #1
GASMAN6674

Loud Water Pump 364BHL

Hey all anyone have a recommendation of brand for a quieter pump?
Our unit has a Flo Jet and its loud. I have added some closed cell foam under it(old anti fatigue mat),remounted it to a board and then added foam between the board and the trailer floor. Didn't help much if any. The pump is mounted with the white hose on both sides and the have some slack in them. Anybody got a quieter choice.

Thanks
2015 F350 CC Dually 4:30 & 6.2L
GASMAN6674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 10:02 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

Often it's not the pump but rather the water lines against the floor or wall that acts like a drum. They sell "silencer kits" which replace the pump lines which may help. An accumulator tank may help as well with the "water hammering" as the bladder inside acts like a shock absorber.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 05:46 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Some people say that Shure Flo pumps are a bit less noisy compared to FloJet pumps.... That said, it's a $100 "test" to find out so I'm happy with my FloJet...

One thing to consider, a pump that can be heard is a "sure fire way" to identify a leak or an issue with the water heater relief valve or even a leaking valve on the toilet... When you "hear the pump cycle on/off periodically and nobody is using water, there's a reason... "Not hearing the pump" is a means to know your water system is working as it should (without leaks)... A "silent pump" eliminates that "advance notice of potential soft floors and mold"..... YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 05:58 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

^^^^^This! Lots of folks want their water pump to be completely silent...like water in a S&B. That's not such a good idea IMO. When you are running off the pump and there is a leak or problem it tells you. If you silence it completely no telling what you might find and what damage has occurred.

When I turned on the water pump in this trailer I could not hear it. I was concerned and figured it didn't work but I had water. Thought I must have city water connected, I didn't. Went outside and opened the pass through. The pump is located behind the convenience center so I just listened right at the panel it's behind and had her turn on the water. Sure enough, to my amazement, I heard the whir/hum of the pump come on then go off when she turned it off. Stood there for a second in disbelief, shook my head - is this even possible??? I've NEVER owned an RV that I couldn't find the pump by just following the noise/pounding. Kinda nice...I hope.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 05:08 AM   #5
Gary Rivers

Loud Water pump issue and fix

My Springdale camper had an extremely loud water pump mounted under the bedroom cabinet. I traced all lines and found the line to my sink was too long causing the plastic bathroom sink to act like a drum head. The line was shortened, spray foamed at pass through points and mounted the pump on a dense foam mat. These two mods quieted the pump to where it is heard only in the bedroom.
Gary Rivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 04:19 PM   #6
Kuimonster

It seems excessively loud. I can hear it loud and clear in the back room no issues.
My in laws cougar is very noticeably quieter. Loud enough to hear it turn on when using water without drowning out any noise in the camper.
Old 03-30-2021, 11:22 AM   #7
MarkEHansen

Another thing which can make the water pump seem louder than it needs to be are non-purged water lines. When you turn on the pump, run each faucet (even the outdoor shower faucet) to purge all the air from the lines.
Old 03-31-2021, 03:18 AM   #8
ChuckS

Actually I am glad I can hear my Shuflo water pump when it runs in the Alpine.. If there is a leak or an issue and I hear the pump running when no water faucet is open it gives me an audible clue rather than waiting to see a visual clue

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 03:31 AM   #9
MarkEHansen

Yes, you want to be able to hear the pump running. But there's a difference between being able to hear it run and having the hammering noise so loud that it tried to knock the fillings from your teeth.

Tags
water, water pump