Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-08-2021, 12:34 PM   #1
Kclady0525

2021 passport 2870rl roof

Has anyone had a problem with the new passports rubber roof. My passport is less that 1 month old. Came off the keystone production line Jan 15th. The roof is bubbling and rippling. Keystone says its normal. The new roofs are not glued down anymore just around the edges. Has anyone else experienced this with the new passports
Kclady0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 02:08 PM   #2
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kclady0525 View Post
Has anyone had a problem with the new passports rubber roof. My passport is less that 1 month old. Came off the keystone production line Jan 15th. The roof is bubbling and rippling. Keystone says its normal. The new roofs are not glued down anymore just around the edges. Has anyone else experienced this with the new passports
Keystone said that was normal or your dealer said that?
If it was the dealer they likely don't want to deal with it & blamed it on Keystone.
I'd contact the manufacturer yourself with plenty of pictures & get the answer straight from the horse's mouth.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 02:14 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

I know linoleum isn’t glued down, but the roof membrane? I think your being lied to.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 02:38 PM   #4
Kclady0525

Keystone rep said it was normal, dealer technician said it may need a new roof. They're was also a staple trying to protrude up through the roof membrane.
This is a 40k camper pretty disheartening now I wonder what else is wrong . I hope I didn't get a lemon
Kclady0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 03:32 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kclady0525 View Post
Keystone rep said it was normal, dealer technician said it may need a new roof. They're was also a staple trying to protrude up through the roof membrane.
This is a 40k camper pretty disheartening now I wonder what else is wrong . I hope I didn't get a lemon

There are always things going wrong with an RV...always; new, used, old don't matter. If my memory is functioning correctly that roof should be glued down, not just attached at the edges. Don't know who the Keystone "rep" was but I do know I've talked to plenty on the customer service/owner relations number that wouldn't know EPDM from linoleum. If that's who it was don't listen to them.

You can see the staples sticking up under the roofs of lots of RVs. I've never had one poke through but on the last trailer I did have to cut about 10 patches of Eternabond to cover them to prevent them from popping out on some long trip where I would be unaware. Never really an issue though....and they weren't going to come through the Eternabond, and probably wouldn't have through the TPO either, it's pretty tough.

A picture of what you are talking about is worth a thousand words as they say and would certainly help folks understand what you are looking at.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 03:41 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Unless this is a "new in the last couple of months" change, Alpha Systems TPO roofing membrane is glued to 100% of the OSB/luan roof decking. I have not seen or heard of any changes, so I'd suspect that it should be "glued to the entire roof decking.

You can look in your owner's kit, find the "roofing manufacturer's documentation" (there's a warranty certificate in the packet with the manufacturer's business name). Then using that name brand, do an internet search for how the manufacturer requires it to be installed. That will give you some "ammunition" to approach Keystone with the "BS Card" waving in the air...

I've never heard of a roof that is subject to billowing while being towed only glued around the edges.... That's an astounding claim by whoever relayed it to you....

Now, if we were discussing the vinyl floor covering, yes, it's glued around the edges and at each cutout for heat vents or plumbing runs. But the TPO roof membrane ???? Never heard of that before and I'd suspect it's incorrect information.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
passport, roof