Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-22-2021, 05:32 AM   #61
Hr42010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
How many times in how days has the OP attempted to start a unsafe genny?
It never started yet, it won't start until someone does some maintenance and repair. At this point it maybe better it has not started. Wonder what it would do with free flowing gas out of the engine while running?
Ok im going to clarify again it oil leaking out but the oil smells like gas
Hr42010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 05:38 AM   #62
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hr42010 View Post
Ok im going to clarify again it oil leaking out but the oil smells like gas
Because it is flooding and the float is probably stuck or not adjusted correctly. Gas is overflowing and running internally into the engine which as Marshal pointed out will wash the cylinders of oil and cause the motor to seize up. You have a oil leak and a gas leak...your adding gas to the crankcase and your oil level if you didn’t have a oil leak would likely keep rising on the dipstick.. I won’t comment anymore and I wish you luck but feel bad for any person or property in the general vicinity that may be harmed by your experiments and would hope I’m not parked next to you at a state park unless you get it right. good luck my friend..good luck
Old 04-22-2021, 08:40 AM   #63
Hr42010

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Because it is flooding and the float is probably stuck or not adjusted correctly. Gas is overflowing and running internally into the engine which as Marshal pointed out will wash the cylinders of oil and cause the motor to seize up. You have a oil leak and a gas leak...your adding gas to the crankcase and your oil level if you didn’t have a oil leak would likely keep rising on the dipstick.. I won’t comment anymore and I wish you luck but feel bad for any person or property in the general vicinity that may be harmed by your experiments and would hope I’m not parked next to you at a state park unless you get it right. good luck my friend..good luck
No worries bro. I think im just gonna give up and leave it to a professional or just pull it out but in the mean time im going to plug gas lines and drain any gas left in generator. I rather be safe than sorry. Please feel free to comment again if you want i truly appreciate your comments especially over some others!!! Thanks again jasin1!! You have been very helpful in me making my decision. Id rather stick to clean energy anyway. Anyone know if they got wind generators that work good on motorhomes?
Old 04-22-2021, 08:45 AM   #64
JRTJH
Site Team

To the OP.

Let's start over (from the beginning)....

As I understand it, you have a 1991 Toyota/Winnebago Class C motorhome conversion that you recently bought/acquired...

We don't know any of the history on this vehicle or the components in it.

So, if you'd start with a "CLEAR DESCRIPTION" of what you have and what you're trying to achieve, it would help tremendously.

As an example, is the generator you can't get started the original generator that's 30 years old? Has it been started in the past 20 years or is this an "unknown restoration of a generator you just bought and have no idea if it's ever been started in the past 10-15 years?

There's a BIG difference in troubleshooting a generator that was working last week or last fall and won't start and in troubleshooting a generator that's been "sitting in a barn for 15 years without having been started"....

So, how about a COMPLETE and CLEAR description of what you have, its condition and as much "history" as you can provide....

Right now, we're "just shooting in the dark with no clear information of the condition of the equipment which makes it even more difficult to suggest a "next step without knowing if it'll even be close"....

Help us help you by giving us better details. If you have them, photos of the rig, the generator and the generator panel in the motorhome would be a great help.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 09:05 AM   #65
jasin1

Quote:
No worries bro. I think im just gonna give up and leave it to a professional or just pull it out but in the mean time im going to plug gas lines and drain any gas left in generator. I rather be safe than sorry. Please feel free to comment again if you want i truly appreciate your comments especially over some others!!! Thanks again jasin1!! You have been very helpful in me making my decision. Id rather stick to clean energy anyway. Anyone know if they got wind generators that work good on motorhomes?
Sounds like a good plan.. there was a thread on 4/12/21 on the subject of solar and wind turbines. You can search by my past posts or through the search engine
Old 04-23-2021, 04:12 AM   #66
Hr42010

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
To the OP.

Let's start over (from the beginning)....

As I understand it, you have a 1991 Toyota/Winnebago Class C motorhome conversion that you recently bought/acquired...

We don't know any of the history on this vehicle or the components in it.

So, if you'd start with a "CLEAR DESCRIPTION" of what you have and what you're trying to achieve, it would help tremendously.

As an example, is the generator you can't get started the original generator that's 30 years old? Has it been started in the past 20 years or is this an "unknown restoration of a generator you just bought and have no idea if it's ever been started in the past 10-15 years?

There's a BIG difference in troubleshooting a generator that was working last week or last fall and won't start and in troubleshooting a generator that's been "sitting in a barn for 15 years without having been started"....

So, how about a COMPLETE and CLEAR description of what you have, its condition and as much "history" as you can provide....

Right now, we're "just shooting in the dark with no clear information of the condition of the equipment which makes it even more difficult to suggest a "next step without knowing if it'll even be close"....

Help us help you by giving us better details. If you have them, photos of the rig, the generator and the generator panel in the motorhome would be a great help.
So yeah i have no idea when the last time it was started and ran was. Previous owner said they never used it cause they just dont like the idea of an engine running under where theyre sleeping. So yeah im just as clueless?
Old 04-23-2021, 04:14 AM   #67
Hr42010

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Sounds like a good plan.. there was a thread on 4/12/21 on the subject of solar and wind turbines. You can search by my past posts or through the search engine
Thanks man!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-25-2021, 08:50 AM   #68
FlyboyD8

The easiest and fastest, safest way to clean a carb jet is to simply boil it in water. yes boil the water with the jet in it, works every time. way back in 90 I ran single strands of wire from an old wire brush threw 4 jets of a 83 Goldwing it cleaned them and it also enlarged them. it never needed the choke after that to start, that is until I got the new set from I think it was Parts unlimited.

I don't wear a face diaper.

Ken
FlyboyD8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 11:38 AM   #69
RoadToad

Quote:
Ok got photos! The very last picture is where the gas is dripping.
Looks as if the fuel tank has a rust-through problem.
Pinhole where rust has pitted the tank.
Getting a replacement is probably the thing to do.

Have had that issue myself in years past.
RoadToad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator