Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-15-2021, 03:05 PM   #35
twvette

Long Term update: Been about four years since started dealing with this so figured would give a long term update.

Hopefully don't jinx myself but have had no real issues dry camping (or plugged in) and thoroughly enjoy this setup now. Have not noticed much if any degradation of power from the solar or battery output.

The only couple things that are still somewhat annoying is that still have to reset the satellite TV system on occasion and this is even with it being plugged into a separate dedicated UPS (albeit a small one but still really helps) as satellite receivers just don't like noise or even quick voltage changes it seems. It is also not really practical to run the big microwave as will typically trip a breaker after a minute or so. Not great on the inverter or batteries in general so we still just fire up the generator for microwave use.

Even with as big of a system as this is we still typically run the generator for an hour or so to recover from heater use/refrigerator at night and the same before going to bed. Will say that you still have the variable of cloudy days in which still might need several hours of generator use and in the winter months here just don't get a lot in general (especially since mine are not tilt mounts) due to short daylight hours. Overall though this is very manageable as typically just remember to run it a bit during each meal time when fire up the generator for microwave use anyways. No longer carry an external generator as just don't really need it but that is always an option too.

I almost never let the batteries get below 50%and am very OCD about this. Also frequently (monthly) filling them with a watering kit. When not using the hauler it is kept on ac power so floats at 100%. I now realize how critical all this is and I think this proper maintenance really shows. I need to get better at running the battery equalization process but that is a bit of a nerve racking thing so have only done it once and I have settled on needing to do it at least once a year in my case or better every 6 months.

You just cant beat a residential fridge! Many of my friends struggle with their gas ones with failures and/or just not keeping stuff cold, especially as they put the larger ones in now. It is strange that I don't think many if any are putting residential into toy haulers now, but yet many class C's and A's they are now the standard offering.

Was hoping lithium batteries would be cheaper by now but I think increasing demand has kept prices up. I would go that route today if doing this all over again but that is a much bigger cost to absorb (at least short term).
twvette is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toy hauler