Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2021, 07:37 PM   #1
Pete::51

Question Brake Question

While investigating a reduction in braking capacity today, I discovered my Fuzion 373 has manually adjusted brakes on the rear axle and self adjusting brakes on the front axle. Both are 7000lb. Dexter axles. This doesn’t make sense to me. As the brakes wear down the front axle will be doing more and more of the work. Has any one else seen that? Is this just another case of the factory grabbing whatever part is handy
Pete::51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 09:13 PM   #2
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete::51 View Post
While investigating a reduction in braking capacity today, I discovered my Fuzion 373 has manually adjusted brakes on the rear axle and self adjusting brakes on the front axle. Both are 7000lb. Dexter axles. This doesn’t make sense to me. As the brakes wear down the front axle will be doing more and more of the work. Has any one else seen that? Is this just another case of the factory grabbing whatever part is handy
In defense of the guys throwing RVs together, they don't put the axles together, they're on a pallet, provided by Dexter or Lippert, next to the upside down frame where a set of axles picked from those pallets are bolted to the frame then moved down the line so the next guy can put the tires/wheels on it. Those 2 stops have no idea what's behind the hubs on the axles they grab, or really care, as long as they don't hold up the line.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 09:56 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

These photos will give you an idea of how the frames arrive at Keystone, how the tire/wheels arrive at Keystone and how the axles arrive at Keystone. As Danny posted, the workers on the assembly line push an inverted frame into position 1, install tanks and coroplast, put axles and stabilizers on it, turn it over so it's "right side up" and install tires on the axles. Then they push the trailer to position 2 where the floor is laid on the frame and the trailer goes to position 3 and then on down the line.

What happened with your trailer is anybody's guess. Contact your dealer and let them know what you found. I'd guess that if your trailer is supposed to have self adjusting brakes, they'll report the problem to Keystone who will authorize a parts changeout. If it's supposed to have non-adjusting brakes, they may make some other decision.

Let your dealer know and see how he handles it. Calling or emailing Keystone demanding action will only give you a "Pepcid moment" or a "Pepcid month"... The dealer has to initiate the warranty claim, so trying to short cut the system will only cause you more grief than it's worth.

OOPS: Forgot the photos, Here they are
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0294.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	197.4 KB
ID:	35793   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0295.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	249.6 KB
ID:	35794   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0296.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	254.2 KB
ID:	35795  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 06:49 AM   #4
Pete::51

I find this hard to believe. I just called Dexter Axle to confirm that having two different brake systems was not appropriate. After giving them the serial number of my rear axle, they said that axle was supposed to be built with the self adjusting brakes. They screwed up not Keystone. They are sending me two new self adjusting brake assemblies for that axle. I also told them the reason I was looking at the brakes now was the reduced performance. Which I had traced to one of the self adjusting brakes not working correctly. The lever that is supposed to turn and hold the star wheel on the brake adjuster was not engaging the teeth on the adjusting wheel. They are also sending me a replacement for that assembly.

I've found I have much better response dealing directly with component manufactures than trying to work through my dealer (our local CW store who is grossly understaffed) and Keystone. I'm still waiting for a replacement landing gear cylinder they started working on three months ago.
Pete::51 is offline   Reply With Quote