Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-20-2020, 03:04 PM   #1
Blair Im 311

Cold weather Camping

Hello All

I am staying in my 2018 Keystone Impact 311 toy hauler while working on a project in Northern Iowa and the weather is cooling off sooner than I thought but it’s 2020 & Iowa, I am running the furnace & an electric space heater & the interior is comfortable and have also put water in the fresh water tank & unhooked the hose from hydrant & it’s been down to 28 degrees F Without any problems, but next weeks forecast has a couple of nights at or below 20 degrees F But warming above 32 the next day, Anyone have any experience with temperatures in this range?

Thanks
Blair Im 311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 03:13 PM   #2
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Im 311 View Post
Hello All

I am staying in my 2018 Keystone Impact 311 toy hauler while working on a project in Northern Iowa and the weather is cooling off sooner than I thought but it’s 2020 & Iowa, I am running the furnace & an electric space heater & the interior is comfortable and have also put water in the fresh water tank & unhooked the hose from hydrant & it’s been down to 28 degrees F Without any problems, but next weeks forecast has a couple of nights at or below 20 degrees F But warming above 32 the next day, Anyone have any experience with temperatures in this range?

Thanks
We camp in weather like that ever year... we hate 105 degrees..

I use a heated water hose and keep the heat on, worked well in my Passport 2890 RL, and my Cougar 333MKS haven't tried it YET in the Avalanche.
Old 10-20-2020, 03:21 PM   #3
bobbecky

About seven years ago, we were just north of Kansas City assisting with the care of a relative, and as it got past Thanksgiving, the weather got colder. I had already purchased a Pirit heated water hose and had prepared for the worse. We were experiencing temps as cold as 9 degrees over night, many low to mid teens the rest of the time, and we were going through a 7 gallon cylinder of propane in two days, but we never had anything freeze. We got out of there about a week into December and made a run to warmer conditions. Other than the cost of propane getting over $4 a gallon, we escaped without any damage. So, it can be done, but you must run the furnace to get heat into the belly, assuming you have an enclosed belly in the rig, otherwise you might have issues and might need to construct a temporary skirt around the rig.
bobbecky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 03:40 PM   #4
Blair Im 311

The trailer has what Keystone calls the Blizzard Package
Highest insulation in its class
Ducted heat into underbelly & storage compartment
Ducted heat into garage
Blair Im 311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 08:05 PM   #5
Old Mustanger

You might want to get some heating blankets for your propane tanks. A couple of years ago we were camping in the cold (in a Cougar FW) and were "emptying" a 7 Gal. tank about every day, but when we went to refill they would only take 3 to 4 Gal. due to the liquid propane freezing in the bottom of the tanks.
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote