Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-26-2018, 04:06 PM   #1
Yvon Royer

Rubber roof wearing out at the edges near the gutters

The roof seems to be in a decent shape everywhere except the edges where the material bends over the edges. The material consists of many layers and the outside layer cake off in a strip about 1 inch wide along the length on both sides.

Is it worth attempting a repair or should I bite the bullet and go for the 7-8k$ for a new one?

Yvon Royer
Cougar 285 EFS
RAM 3500 6.7 L diesel
Andersen hitch
Yvon Royer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 04:11 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Have you got any pics? Are you positive it is the roofing peeling? When the roofing rounds over the edge and meets the transition strip there is usually a layer/strip of adhesive/sealant along that line that likes to pull away, could that possibly be what you are seeing?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 06:01 PM   #3
Bisjoe

My Springdale had the same problem, my dealer fixed it for about $150 by cleaning and applying new rubber the entire length along the 2” or so closest to the gutters. Came out looking great.

Bisjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 07:00 PM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

As Sourdough stated it's probably Dicor no sag that is peeling away. Whatever you do, do not use silicon or you will be looking at replacing it. You don't list the year of your trailer but the sealant, Dicor self leveling is used on flat surfaces and the no sag for vertical surfaces should be cleaned and re sealed at least once a year.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 07:06 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
should be cleaned and re sealed at least once a year.
IMO it should be INSPECTED 2X a year and only replaced as needed.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 01:17 PM   #6
Yvon Royer

Sorry, I don’t have pictures.

My unit is a 2005 - it was in my signature. The roof material (EDPM) is slid under the gutters and someone has sealed the joints with silicone as far as I can tell. Now the gutter is in two pieces and ther is a space where they join together. Caulking was applied very poorly on the bottom of the gutter but not in the vertical space. I fixed that now but the damage is done. The fact that the delimination of the wall is just below this leads me to his conclusion.

The roof wearing out at the edges above the gutters is an issue that I discovered while caulking the joint. In two spots, it had worn through and I applied DICOR over the cracks for now. The shop that I use recommends replacing the roof $$$. The gutters have to be pulled out to slide the repair tape under them and I am considering doing this myself.

It’s the rainy season starting here so I will cover the trailer until it is taken to the shop in April to repair the wall. It seems to me that adding the repair tape along both sides of the trailer would give the roof a few more years so I will push for that.

Thank you all for your help.

2005 Keystone Cougar 285 EFS 5th wheel (30’)
Towed by 1 ton 2012 RAM w/6.7 L diesel
Yvon Royer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof