Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2017, 10:53 AM   #1
bdaniel

I Need Repair Advice

I need advice from someone who has repaired a leak involving a laminated wall.

I have a leak in the curb side rear corner of my 2014 325SRX. I have fix many RV problems before so I know what I have to do but I am not sure what adhesive and caulks to use.

I have the Dicor self leveling caulk for the top and also have the Dicor Non Sag caulk for vertical surfaces. I also have ProFlex RV caulk.

The trim on the corner has an L shape. Butyl tape goes on one side of the L. But what should I put on the other side. I think Keystone used Silicone. I want to remove that and use something else. I know removing the Silicone will be a pain.

I want to use the ProFlex RV but am afraid I won't have enough working time to get the trim in place and screwed in before it starts to set. And I will need time to also clean up the caulk that is compressed out of the trim.

The non sag caulk might be a little to thick. That side of the trim needs to be pretty tight against the siding.

I plan to treat the thin plywood backing with a wood hardener like JB Weld.

And last, I want to squirt some adhesive between the Filon and the thin plywood layers at the corner and compress them until it drys. What should I use? Would liquid nails work ok?

Please offer any advice or comments.

I have several photos and some video on my website so please take a look.

http://bobbystuff.com/rv/488/another-leak

Thanks
bdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 11:44 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

ProFlex should have enough working time for you to do what your wanting to. Last time we worked on a rotting slide floor we used a product that's like wood putty, dries rock hard and adheres to the wood. We get most of our supplies from Lowes because it's close.
Putty(butyl) tape is only used on one inside surface of the trim rail, and as long as you put a good wide strip of it on, it's easy to trim with a plastic putty knife. Press it onto the trim before putting it back on the trailer, much easier that way. The silicone residue cleans off easily with denatured alcohol, we use some stuff called MPS200 also from an industrial supplier.

You can make new holes in the trim rail so the screws are going into fresh wood, and you can add a few if needed. You've got a big job ahead of you, take your time and it will come out fine.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 02:44 AM   #3
bdaniel

Thanks for the help.

Would you recommend ProFlex or Dicor Non Sag sealant for the side trim?

I have about 2-3 inches of delamination on the vertical edge. I would like to put some adhesive there? What would you recommend?

Thanks,
Bobby
Old 09-11-2017, 02:54 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

I would probably use the proFlex if it's recommended for vertical surfaces. Under the delamination if I used anything it would probably be an epoxy glue spread very thin.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 08:05 AM   #5
bdaniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
I would probably use the proFlex if it's recommended for vertical surfaces. Under the delamination if I used anything it would probably be an epoxy glue spread very thin.
So you would not recommend Liquid Nails?
By epoxy glue, do you mean the type that comes in two tubes that are mixed together just before use? Or is there some other type?

This is not contact cement, right?

Thanks for all your help. I have everything cleaned up and I applied the wood hardener last night. Getting close to putting everything back together.

Bobby
Old 07-30-2018, 11:55 AM   #6
shepperd8155

Does anyone know where I could get a 24"x30" piece of Coventry Sandalwood seam tape to cover a repair from a de-laminated wall below a window leak?
shepperd8155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 02:30 PM   #7
wiredgeorge

http://www.trekwood.com/products/467...try-Sandalwood

It looks like you buy one foot but I think you are buying by the foot. $3.99 a linear foot I believe. Trekwood is a great place for this type stuff.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 06:39 AM   #8
shepperd8155

Seam tape to make a wall repair.

I've been in contact and have learned some things from Trekwood.com. I will attach the emails from one of their people. What I am hoping to find is someone with a piece of this tape, 24"x30" that they no longer need.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Seam tape.PNG
Views:	103
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	17759  
Old 07-31-2018, 07:03 AM   #9
wiredgeorge

Perhaps this company can get you in the right direction if you call them:

https://robertweedcorp.com/products/

They make a lot of seam tape sold on Amazon...
Old 07-31-2018, 09:17 AM   #10
shepperd8155

Thank you. I'll shoot them an email..
Old 07-31-2018, 03:17 PM   #11
wiredgeorge

If you run into a dead end, does the toy hauler have the garage in a separate room? If so, perhaps taking all the wall panel down on both sides and using something from Home Depot might be the answer... maybe a laminate? You glue this stuff to a piece of thin backer wood and then set heavy stuff down on it. I have used it for counter tops as it is cheap. Not sure but i imagine it is in 8' lengths.
Old 08-01-2018, 07:18 AM   #12
shepperd8155

The garage is in a separate room, but the way Keystone manufactures those walls is to glue all of the interior laminate luan panels to the entire structure, (aluminum frames and all 1.5" Styrofoam panels as well. Very difficult to remove from the inner wall.
Thanks
Old 08-01-2018, 04:59 PM   #13
Frank G

This thread started with the repair of a leaking and rotting corner. The site below "RotDoctor" have some unique products to deal with restoring and preserving rotted wood. They are worth a look.

https://www.rotdoctor.com/test/penetration.html

I have used them in the past for boat repairs and also on our previous log home. They do work.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote