Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2015, 02:00 PM   #1
Pull Toy

E-Z Pass?

I wasn't sure where to post this, but I figured most of the 5ers are 3/4 ton or better.

Connecticut is not currently a TOLL state, so we don't have a resident E-Z Pass program. In examining the other states programs, there seems to be a lot of arbitrary fees, and rules. Seems like 7000# is the upper limit for private accounts. I gvw at 10,000.

Any input, as to a good program? The DW is getting cranky waiting in the cash lines out of state, and frankly, so am I!

It's also just a matter of time before CT starts a TOLL program, but I feel no allegiance to support TAX CRAZY CT. I haven't bought a drop of fuel here in 29 years when RI is 10 minutes away, and I save 40 cents a gallon on Diesel, and an average 20+ on Gas!

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 02:22 PM   #2
cathcartww

I don't know about other states, but New Jersey and Virginia both give you a sending unit for your "class" of vehicle. 4 wheel automobile, and single rear wheel vans and pickups are all in the same class. Dualies are a slightly more expensive class. After that, they go by number of axles. They have sensors at the toll lanes that count the total axles.

2014 Forest River Wildcat 272RLX Fifth Wheel
2018 F-250 4x4 Crew Cab 6.2L Gasser
cathcartww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 02:57 PM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

NJ Ez-Pass does have a GW limit on personal accounts BUT tolls are the same on all single axle pickups ....... soooo ...... if you claim that your truck is under that limit you will get a private account without cheating on tolls paid. I travel from Jersey to Florida several times a year and it knows when I am towing or not and pays the toll accordingly. If you must pay a toll the Express lanes make the $1 a month fee worth every penny. Even the tolls that don't have express it is good to keep rolling at the posted speed.
Keep an eye on your statement (mail or online) for errors. I have had it for 10 years with no mistakes but family members have had a few but were easily corrected with a phone call.

I think it is accepted in any state calls their plan EZPass .... Florida SUNPass does not accept it. JM2˘, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 06:12 PM   #4
gearhead

I don't recall being asked about a class or tonnage rating of a pickup for the EZTag in the Houston area. Just gave them the credit card info and the license plate number. They may have assumed it was a "private?" truck.
I've driven through the EZTag lanes a lot with my boat or 5th wheel behind me. I never thought to look on the statement if they charge extra.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 06:46 AM   #5
cw3jason

I just signed up thru NY. I am also in CT. Yes I had to say my PU is under 7000, but F350 and F450 were in the drop down for truck types. I am not a duel wheel, so thus was my best option. Plus I registered the wife's jeep and got her a pass on the same account, no extra charge. I have also heard when towing, most times you do not get charged for the trailer.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
B&W Patriot 16k fifth wheel hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 08:31 AM   #6
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw3jason View Post
I just signed up thru NY. I am also in CT. Yes I had to say my PU is under 7000, but F350 and F450 were in the drop down for truck types. I am not a duel wheel, so thus was my best option. Plus I registered the wife's jeep and got her a pass on the same account, no extra charge. I have also heard when towing, most times you do not get charged for the trailer.

I don't know where you heard that ..... trust me ....... it will get you every time ...... cha-ching$$$$$$$ ....... for every axle.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 10:31 AM   #7
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
I don't recall being asked about a class or tonnage rating of a pickup for the EZTag in the Houston area. Just gave them the credit card info and the license plate number. They may have assumed it was a "private?" truck.
I've driven through the EZTag lanes a lot with my boat or 5th wheel behind me. I never thought to look on the statement if they charge extra.
The TollTag here in the DFW area is supposed to work everywhere in TX, you just register the vehicle and they count the number of axles that go by.

We spent $15 each way taking our maiden voyage out to the Big Bend area.

I am not sure if it is accepted in other states.

I know the system read your tag at well over 100 MPH

Hennessey VR1200 Runs 221 MPH on Texas Toll Road
Old 07-15-2015, 10:52 AM   #8
cw3jason

People I know that have towed thru New England have reported only getting charged the standard toll. Not the extra for trailers. I am not saying it works every time, but hey if you can catch a break now and then great.

B&W Patriot 16k fifth wheel hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 11:20 AM   #9
Pmedic4

EZ-Pass

In Illinois, it's just by the number of axles.

The good part about Illinois EZ-Pass, is that tolls are 50% of the cash toll amount, so it would have been $2 at a specific toll area, it would only be $1 using your EZ-pass. The only question I have about that, is may only apply to those users with an I-Pass, which is a EZ-pass issued by Illinois Toll Authority.

It was nice driving through PA, on the turnpike, no stopping for tollbooths!

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 02:13 PM   #10
jamesmc321

i have a sierra CC and when i had my popup, it hit me for 4 axles even though it only had 1...but then again the GW bridge didn't catch it at all (saved me about $30 alone).
jamesmc321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 07:33 PM   #11
JeffS

You can purchase an I-Pass (part of the Easy Pass system) online and they will mail the unit to you. As stated earlier the tolls go by number of axles and Illinois tolls are reduced by 50%. We initially purchased ours when we lived in Michigan.

http://www.illinoistollway.com/tolls...-and-get-going
Huntley, Illinois
formerly Norton Shores, Michigan
JeffS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 03:12 AM   #12
WaltBennett

Had our Virginia E-Z Pass for two years now. Only problem getting it was explaining that I had a dually pickup (two axles, six wheels) and a Montana (two axles, four wheels) and not a semi. No one asked me what the weights were. We've used it in VA, PA, MD, OH, IN, IL. Had several nickle & dime tolls in OK and TX where they didn't take it.

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 07:36 AM   #13
SkiSmuggs

EZ Pass is the best thing ever! I added the RV trailer to my account and just hit the EZ Pass lanes. Traveling is so much better now!
Old 07-16-2015, 11:22 AM   #14
vampress_me

Just used the EZ-pass for our trip to NY state and back to MN. I called Ohio and got my pass through them since they were the ones I found a phone number to talk to an actual live person at. I loved it for our trip!

When I called, I did ask if it could be used by us since I was towing a 5er. Was told yep, it was just a different pass than the one that could be gotten online since the online ones were for passenger vehicles only, no trailers. She just asked how many axles/tires on the truck and how many axles/ tires on the trailer and what the license plates are on both. It was sent to me in the mail, and came ready to use. I did read that in some states if you pick one up at a travel oasis, they can take up to 48 hours to activate for use across state lines. That wasn't going to work for us, so I was happy it came already activated.

Best part for us, now that our trip is over, I can deactivate it and send it back to them. And get a refund for any funds still in my account since I set it to auto replenish fro my credit card. Tolls were expensive!!! It ended up costing $170 to cross Illinios, Indiana, and Ohio both direction. I feel sorry for the truckers that have to deal with this constantly.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 10:26 AM   #15
BigBlue

I have EZ pass in NY. Its in my truck and when I am towing the camper instead of going trough the EZ pass lane, I go through a lane with a toll collector. They manually adjust my EZpass for the correct number of axles. When I exit I can just go through the EZ pass lane.
BigBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 07:21 AM   #16
MBD

The EZ Tag in the Houston area along with the Dallas/Fort Worth and Austin area toll systems know your vehicle weight and number of axles based on your vehicle registration (DMV - TX DOT). When you drive through the toll station a camera photographs your rear license plate. If it is a trailer you are charged for the extra axles according to your trailer registration. The trailer is associated with your RFID "toll tag" so the proper account is charged.

The camera system is a fail safe, if the RFID reader is not working, the camera captures your license plate and using license plate recognition software charges your account. (same technology law enforcement uses to find stolen vehicles and toll violators with computer connected cameras on patrol cars)

I usually "beat" about half the SUN PASS readers in Florida because they read the front plate instead of the rear-trailer rides free on those roads!
MBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 05:15 PM   #17
Brantlaker

I know that this post is 5 days old but just to add my 2cents I have traveled all over the country with my New York State E-Z pass and never had a problem. The Toll Booths charge by the Axle going over the sensor and the overheads just charge the single axle rate. I checked with the Illinois Highway Dept and they told me that the few that get by does not matter. Some states have their own system like Florida. by the way my E-Z Pass is for a Passenger Car.

2012 Cougar 318SAB
2015 F350 SWD 4X4 3.55 Rear
Brantlaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 05:55 PM   #18
buckeyebobhockingcamper

tolls

ive towed on florida turnpike and have yet to be charged!!it says pay by plate and there is no toll at the end of turnpike in florida city.never got a bill in mail and dont know why
buckeyebobhockingcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 06:46 PM   #19
gearhead

So...we've been to a corner of Illinois, across Indiana, and Ohio a couple times. I haven't seen a toll road yet. Went to Indy 500 this year..no tolls. Went to USAC races at Eldora in Ohio 2 years ago..no tolls.
We're going to Ohio again in September and then maybe on to New England. Where are these tolls? I'm thinking I may get a EZPass??
I did have to pay a $4 toll a couple weeks ago out of Washington DC Dulles airport to drive what seemed like 10 miles, in a rent car.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 07:11 AM   #20
rfinley

http://www.thruway.ny.gov/ezpass/ta-w68176.pdf

E-zpass for towing in NYS is a separate transponder, blue in color. If you're not using the correct transponder you could at some time receive a very unpleasant correspondence form the Thruway !!

From the form:
"This form is used to order an E-ZPass Tag(s) for a two or three-axle vehicle that is towing a one, two or three-axle trailer, camper, boat, etc.
Tags should only be used when towing.
"
rfinley is offline   Reply With Quote