Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2018, 02:44 PM   #21
Laredo250RL

I just noticed these same types of cracks on inside panel of my door. Ignore or repair?
Laredo250RL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 03:49 PM   #22
gkainz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laredo250RL View Post
I just noticed these same types of cracks on inside panel of my door. Ignore or repair?
Well, since I was the OP, I guess you could take my approach and repair it "one of these days" ... maybe I'll get around to replacing the panel this winter?
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 11:38 AM   #23
gkainz

Door panel cracked

how about that? I finally found a round tuit and started to address the cracked interior door panel.

Pulled the window, the latch and the 4 screws on the bottom only to discover, in spite of youtube videos and descriptions of door disassembly, this door will NOT disassemble. It's a thin aluminum frame surrounding the exterior skin, foamboard glued to that, and then FRP panel glued to the foamboard. Trying to remove the bottom frame and "sliding the guts out" stopped at "remove the screws then remove the bottom rail" I couldn't make the bottom rail come off, and stopped short of grabbing a hammer (getting somewhat wiser or more cautious in my old age!).

I gained a few more cracks over the years... in my opinion, this design is absolutely going to crack as mine did over time, age and winds (even cautiously holding the door in any wind). Holding the middle of the door and winds are just going to flex the door.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1862.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	33862

Plan B? Let's do a quick internet search for replacement doors .... first hit offers up a door for $845 ... well, that's not going to happen!

Plan C? Looked at wood-look vinyl planks - too heavy in my opinion, and too thick for the gap between the door and screen door.

Plan D - peel and stick wall paper ... after essentially grouting the cracks with glue.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1873.jpeg
Views:	173
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	33863  
Old 05-29-2021, 12:52 PM   #24
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkainz View Post
how about that? I finally found a round tuit and started to address the cracked interior door panel.

Pulled the window, the latch and the 4 screws on the bottom only to discover, in spite of youtube videos and descriptions of door disassembly, this door will NOT disassemble. It's a thin aluminum frame surrounding the exterior skin, foamboard glued to that, and then FRP panel glued to the foamboard. Trying to remove the bottom frame and "sliding the guts out" stopped at "remove the screws then remove the bottom rail" I couldn't make the bottom rail come off, and stopped short of grabbing a hammer (getting somewhat wiser or more cautious in my old age!).

I gained a few more cracks over the years... in my opinion, this design is absolutely going to crack as mine did over time, age and winds (even cautiously holding the door in any wind). Holding the middle of the door and winds are just going to flex the door.

Attachment 33862

Plan B? Let's do a quick internet search for replacement doors .... first hit offers up a door for $845 ... well, that's not going to happen!

Plan C? Looked at wood-look vinyl planks - too heavy in my opinion, and too thick for the gap between the door and screen door.

Plan D - peel and stick wall paper ... after essentially grouting the cracks with glue.

That looks much better than the cracked door panel. Nice job!
I have to say though I've never had nor know of anyone else that's had that issue with the door panel.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 12:55 PM   #25
wiredgeorge

Guess even the greatest of procrastinators such as myself will eventually get sick of looking at a chore that needs doing and will just go ahead and do it or pay someone else (former generally win!). The sticky paper doesn't look bad in the picture at all. Better than the cracking door. Good job.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 03:32 PM   #26
Laredo250RL

Thanks

Thanks for discussing the disassembly not working. Finished product looks good. What did you use to call the cracks before applying the "sticky paper" cover. Just an RV sealant? Good job.
Laredo250RL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 06:14 AM   #27
gkainz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laredo250RL View Post
Thanks for discussing the disassembly not working. Finished product looks good. What did you use to call the cracks before applying the "sticky paper" cover. Just an RV sealant? Good job.

I grabbed an adhesive from ace but now I can’t recall exactly which one. I found a few references for rv adhesive safe for foam board elsewhere on the internet and of course now can’t find it again. Was either Permatex or Loctite FasTac (?) or similar. Was kind of a gel and easy to squeeze into the cracks and sort of trowel it flat. Nozzle cap even had a plastic brush-like end on it.
Old 09-08-2021, 11:15 AM   #28
Geoscience Guy

replaced panel

Mine did the same thing - cracks from the top to the bottom - mine was a Lippert door - what I did was removed the door first - placed on covered saw horses to protect the decals etc. Took the window & door lock out - removed the screws at the bottom and removed the frame from the door - taped up all the cracks with tape - very carefully pulled the cracked plastic panel off the foam (had purple glue) - I obtained a sheet of very thin (it was a little thicker than the plastic that came off) FRP wall board (white cracked ice design) from Home Depot- used the old plastic to outline the cut - carefully cut the new panel using a rotary drill type cutter - sanded the edges - placed the new cut-out FRP wall board on the foam - I did not use any glue on the panel to the foam - did not want to try to match the FRP with the foam to glue type-carefully installed the door frame (it was a little tight, had to use a butter knife to guide the metal frame over the FRP (you could use a puddy knife i guess), it will be tight - reinstalled the window with frame using chalking - installed lock - reinstalled the door to the trailer - before removing the door I marked the hinges so I did not have to adjust the door - I did have to adjust the lock plate on the camper - it is a little tighter fit closing the door but not bad- I always lock the door when traveling anyway - it looks great and heavy duty - have had no problems over a year with the door. That is what I did to fix the problem - no guarantee this will work for you-- Thank you I had a new door on stand-by just in case it didn't work - replacing the whole door including the decals would of been much more work. Remember to use a thin piece of card board under the knife when installing the metal door frame as not to scare the FRP- Hope this helps somebody! Have a safe day!
Geoscience Guy is offline   Reply With Quote