Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-11-2019, 08:28 AM   #1
daveinaz

Old bulbs seals on slide-outs a gooey mess

So I finally got my slide-outs working properly (thanks everyone), so now it's time to replace the bulb and wiper seals. It's strange, the old wiper seals have turned into a tar-like mush. I was working on removing some of them out at the storage yard and didn't have all of my stuff with me. Anyway, all I had out there was some spray silicon. As it turns out, the stuff works pretty good at removing the tar-e goop from the walls and slideout. I'm thinking that WD-40 might be good too.
daveinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:41 AM   #2
travelin texans

Just be sure not to get the WD40 on the good seals or they'll be mush as well. You can use the silicone WD 40, not the regular.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:07 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

^^^ What he said. I'm no chemical engineer, so I can't describe the process of "seal breakdown" that occurs from "good seals to goo on the wall" but, I can say that if a spray on product dissolves the goo, chances are good that it would also dissolve the replacement seal "rubber compound".

So, if you're using silicone spray or WD40 to clean the goo (which is the old seals) off the sidewall, be sure to clean the "spray stuff" off the sidewall before it gets on the new seals or you may be "headed down the road to new seals when they turn to goo before their time".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:13 AM   #4
daveinaz

Good points. I got some of that 303 spray protectant for the new seals.
daveinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:26 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

If you are removing ALL the seals and will be replacing them, it should be OK to use "whatever" to get the old stuff off (some things work light years better than others). Just don't let it get on rubber/foam etc. or anything else it will hurt - remembering some compounds can damage the siding on the trailer as well. Read the bottles for the "don't use on this" and read the warnings for whatever materials it will touch. Some of those chemicals can cause immediate, or slow, degradation of various materials so you need to know what you are applying and how the surface you are contacting will react.

You've got the 303 so that's good. I clean my seals with alcohol, wipe off and let it dry, then apply the 303 (do both on the front and back sides) wipe off and let it dry.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide