Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2018, 01:45 PM   #1
CampNBrew2

Outdoor Kitchen hatch door not opening enough

Hello All,
Lots of questions about our new-to-us 2013 Premier 22RBPR. Will post them separately hopefully in the appropriate forums.

The outdoor kitchen "hatch" opens about 95% of horizontal. I'm only 5'8" and on a level surface I barely squeeze under. The struts seem fine with plenty of oomph. Wondering if they are replacements that are too short? I'd like this to open up a bit higher. I don't want to resort to unhooking the struts and using a prop rod, but at several sites we frequent the site is higher than the parking pad and this will be a head knocker.

Any recommendations other than a bright orange pool noodle on the edge when open?
Thanks,
Chris
CampNBrew2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 02:05 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

I think your outdoor kitchen hatch is doing what you want it to do (even though it's a "head knocker")..

There needs to be a slope away from the trailer (think roof) so any water will flow away from the hinge and away from the trailer sidewall opening. While it may be tempting to raise the hatch so it's higher than 90 degrees, if you do, watch it very carefully. Any rain, any heavy dew will funnel water to the hinge and potentially flood your outdoor kitchen and the space inside your trailer with water.

Maybe a "bright color pool noodle" would be an "eye catcher to protect your noggin" as well as a safe means to keep your trailer dry...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 02:21 PM   #3
CampNBrew2

Thanks John, I figured thats why it did not lift any higher. I am bummed this trailers awning is SO short. Newer versions of this model have a full length awning that would help with this.
We would not leave the trailer or go to bed with the OK opened up but may be too much a hassle to release the struts at any rate.
I have already started looking for "gutters" to install over the frameless windows and hatches. It seems these would be an ounce of prevention. I've seen metal ones factory installed but no idea where to find them or size them.
Old 08-22-2018, 02:45 PM   #4
66joej

I have already started looking for "gutters" to install over the frameless windows and hatches. It seems these would be an ounce of prevention. I've seen metal ones factory installed but no idea where to find them or size them.

I installed these on our TT. Amazon. They are called drip caps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cougar 1 023.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	18170  

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 03:27 PM   #5
CampNBrew2

Ah thanks that should help my search
Old 08-22-2018, 06:22 PM   #6
travelin texans

If you do decide to change the angle, look to see if you could mount the frame end of the strut higher up the frame & still close the door.
If it were me I wouldn't be using it in the ran & wouldn't leave it open at night so I by chance if got caught in the rain or a heavy dew it wouldnt be flooding the kitchen, may get a little wet, but no flood.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote