Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2018, 12:45 PM   #1
wiredgeorge

install new water inlet question

Have a rectangular water inlet piece on my trailer. It has both water inlet for on-board tank and the city water inlet in the one piece; about 10" x 8" piece. I got a direct replacement and it came with no instructions.

Do I need some of that tape that kind of looks like plumbers putty with a sticky back to install this thing or can I use non-self leveling Dicor? Guess it should be sealed with silicon around the edge; everything on my trailer was doused with liberal doses of silicon so I can't be sure that is original anywhere. It was in many places it should not have been used?

Do I need that tape (not sure what it is called)??? thanks wg
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 01:41 PM   #2
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Butyl tape

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 05:24 PM   #3
wiredgeorge

Thanks... suspected. Couldn't remember the name of the stuff.
Old 06-29-2018, 05:56 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Properly installed, the butyl tape should eliminate any need for silicone. You can buy it at most RV places. The last time I needed it the only thing CW had was like a 50' roll; I needed maybe 5' to install a new hwh. Bought it and gave the remainder to the manager of the camp ground.....
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 07:18 PM   #5
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Properly installed, the butyl tape should eliminate any need for silicone. You can buy it at most RV places. The last time I needed it the only thing CW had was like a 50' roll; I needed maybe 5' to install a new hwh. Bought it and gave the remainder to the manager of the camp ground.....
Yup!!!! I'm sure I have one of those 45' rolls somewhere also.

Remove excess butyl tape with a plastic scraper and smooth out with WD40 and your finger. The seal will be better than new.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 02:44 PM   #6
wiredgeorge

Got the tape and ready to install. The original B&B city/gravity feed water inlet (it is rectangle with both inlets for city and gravity feed water) had a solid brass connector with 1/2" MPT and Keystone used a 1/2" plastic compression fitting that mates with a 1/2" braided hose for the city water inlet.

Noted that the "upgraded" new B&B replacement water inlet has a plastic 1/2" MPT connector and the compression fitting just won't work with it as the surface end of the plastic fitting isn't flat enough and the compression gasket just smooshes inside. Went to the hardware and bought a regular 1/2" MPT to 1/2 barbed hose adapter. Couldn't get it to stop leaking with teflon tape. Couldn't get it to stop leaking with pipe thread compound. Couldn't get it to stop leaking with Permatex Hylomar union seal compound. The new adapter is now being epoxied onto the plastic fitting. They do still sell the old style part with the BRASS 1/2" MPT fitting and I just bought one (just in case the epoxy doesn't work). Plastic kind of sucks. I bought eBay item:

This assembly is identical to the original (plastic fitting) one purchased but has a brass 1/2" MPT fitting for city water: https://www.ebay.com/i/200927737691?chn=ps

Tags
water