Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 12-29-2016, 07:57 PM   #1
wado66

Propane Tank Purchase

I am in need of a couple of 30# tanks.
Mine have expired their certification.
Would it be cheaper to recertify my existing tanks or purchase new ones?
If purchase is the option who has the best deals?
wado66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 08:30 PM   #2
RLM5150

Tractor Supply and Ace Hardware sell new 30lb cylinders for $65-70. You may find them somewhere for closer to $60.

Not sure how much a propane retailer charges to recertify but it should be a lot less than cost of new. I thought Tractor Supply told me about $18-20 last year. So if your tank are in good shape it is worth getting another 5 years use out of them by getting the recertified.
RLM5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 09:03 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

OK, I understand school is out, but let's conduct a class on LP containers.

LP cylinders/Bottles are considered portable and as such are certified by DOT in the US:

http://www.phmsa.dot.gov/staticfiles..._cylinders.pdf

LP TANKS are not portable and are mounted permantly ( as much as bolts/nuts can hold them) and are certified by ASME not DOT, and NOT subject to the same re certification schedule.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 02:08 PM   #4
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
OK, I understand school is out, but let's conduct a class on LP containers.

LP cylinders/Bottles are considered portable and as such are certified by DOT in the US:

http://www.phmsa.dot.gov/staticfiles..._cylinders.pdf

LP TANKS are not portable and are mounted permantly ( as much as bolts/nuts can hold them) and are certified by ASME not DOT, and NOT subject to the same re certification schedule.
My local propane palace doesn't check the bottle date when I refill. Are they good for another ten years when they're recertified?
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 04:49 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

As with almost every aspect of life, the government has a regulation covering propane cylinders. You can find it here: http://www.phmsa.dot.gov/staticfiles..._cylinders.pdf

Essentially, cylinders (don't confuse them with propane tanks) are good for 12 years from manufacture.

At that time, they require "reinspection". If reinspected using the "volumetric expansion" method, then they are good for an additional 12 years. If reinspected using the "proof pressure" method, they are good for an added 7 years and if reinspected using the "external visual" method, they are good for 5 more years.

At the end of the "reinspected extension time" I'm not sure if the cylinders "turn into Cinderella's pumpkin" or if they can be extended again. I'd suppose that eventually they would have to no longer have a serviceable life, but I don't know how that limit is reached. It's not in the "regulation" and like most, there's probably another 10 or 12 (or more) regulations that "regulate the existing regulation"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 05:07 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
My local propane palace doesn't check the bottle date when I refill. Are they good for another ten years when they're recertified?
When your at the palace in Vegas, I bet they only check ID's. My local supplier checks every time I fill.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 07:47 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

^^^I live in a little town in W TX. I take my tanks in to the local propane dealer and they spin my bottle around to make sure they are up to spec every time.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 08:59 PM   #8
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
^^^I live in a little town in W TX. I take my tanks in to the local propane dealer and they spin my bottle around to make sure they are up to spec every time.
I find as I get older those darn 30# tanks get heavier every day. Fortunately, one CW in Myrtle Beach will fill the tanks while still in the 5er and the other location will have a young guy remove and replace the tanks in the 5er.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 10:45 PM   #9
bobbecky

If you are replacing the cylinders, and are wanting a lighter unit, maybe the viking cylinders would be an option. The same physical size holds less propane, but they are quite a bit lighter than the steel cylinders, and the fluid level is visible. http://vikingcylinders.com/shop/lifestyle/22-lb-vapor/
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, tank