Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-01-2016, 12:13 PM   #1
mets721

Outside speakers

My outside speakers just stopped working on 2016 Cougar 327RES. Any one else have an issue? Any suggestions?
Old 07-02-2016, 06:46 PM   #2
mtofell

Pretty unlikely to be the speakers or the wiring if they both just cut out. Silly question but you're sure you are hitting the right button on the radio (usually "C")??

I'd be suspicious of a connection at the back of the radio or something with the radio itself.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 08:23 PM   #3
larry337

I'm assuming you have the Jensen stereo. If so it's complete junk. We have a 337FLS with that stereo and the c channel just goes out for no apparent reason. They replaced it, second one failed, replaced that, third one failed. There are others with the same problem. This last time I was out of warranty. I pulled out the stereo and switched the B channel and C channel speaker wires so now my outside works on B and my bedroom is on C, which obviously doesn't work but we never use those anyway.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS
larry337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 07:42 PM   #4
papi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mets721 View Post
My outside speakers just stopped working on 2016 Cougar 327RES. Any one else have an issue? Any suggestions?
Just had the same problem with mine which is also a 2016 cougar 339BHS, played with the wires on the back of the radio, no luck. Took the outside speakers out everything looks good. I think is the radio itself. Any suggestion on a replacement?
papi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 06:18 PM   #5
mets721

I took the stereo apart today and the wires were good. Called Camping World and was told to try the speakers to see if the solder that holds the wires in broke. I brought up the fact that I think it's the stereo itself and was told that a warranty repair on the head unit would probably take 3-4 weeks before permission was given to do the repair and order the unit. So it looks like I'll be waiting until after the season since the first available appointment isn't until after August 1st. I'm going to pull the speakers tomorrow to see if the solder broke, but I doubt that's it. If one speaker wasn't working, if feel more confident that the solder broke in one, but with both not playing and the wiring in the head unit in good shape, I believe that the unit is bad. Like someone else said, total junk.
Old 07-08-2016, 06:10 AM   #6
brittsnbirds

Wiggle the wires.

My Sprinter has the small speakers in the awning arms. They are pretty much worthless. I have to pull the awning down and smack the side of them to get them to work. Have pulled the cap off and checked the wiring, seems ok. Wish there were replacements that were a little louder. I have to turn the volume up more than I like (for the inside) to get the outside ones to an acceptable level to hear. Mind you I don't like to listen to loud music anymore, but they pretty much suck!!
brittsnbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 11:46 PM   #7
denverpilot

Few thoughts.

Agree that wiring breaking to one typically wouldn't break to both at the same time.

Troubleshooting this yourself really wouldn't be too hard. As someone else said, when they had a channel go bad, they swapped the "B" and "C" speaker outputs. That's one easy way to check.

If you still suspect you have a wiring problem... If you get behind the stereo and disconnect the speakers, you can also then pretty easily test the cabling. Disconnect from the stereo, and the speakers both. Twist the two wires together at the speaker end, and then go test continuity at the stereo end. Eliminates the wiring unless the problem is in the connection to the stereo or speaker right at the connector.

Additionally if you don't want to mess with it or don't feel up to the basic electronics troubleshooting and don't feel like waiting until August, any car stereo shop can do this for a reasonable fee. They will probably offer upgrades to the speakers or the head unit also, if you want to go all-out and have a nice system. The good shops can also offer things like running the wiring and installing backup cameras and all sorts of goodies, for a price, of course.

Of course you'll need to find a shop with enough parking for your trailer and all that, but our local automotive stereo shop has said even if we had to park it next door in the back lot of a car dealership, they've worked with those guys before and they'd set it up with them and bring the toolbox and parts over to the trailer.

Not "cheap" or "free", but personally I wouldn't bother trying to get warranty work on the junk stereo that is provided in these trailers. If ours fails in any way, my first call will be to my favorite automotive electronics installer at our local auto stereo place and he'd have that stuff ripped out in about an hour, and easily have a custom panel and stereo and DVD or whatever we wanted to pay for and new speakers that sound good installed all around in an afternoon, easy.

He did an install of a dual DIN stereo/GPS/DVD/Bluetooth combo unit into the tow vehicle that doesn't have quite a dual DIN sized mounting hole and made the cuts and modifications to the dash cover look factory. If you don't look real close, you can't tell the thing doesn't quite fit in the dash, at all. It's all prepped for the future wired backup camera also, actually can handle two different cameras if I needed two.

Even if you're not going for an upgrade, one of these sorts of shops would be able to troubleshoot and tell you exactly what's wrong and write something up for you to go argue with whoever needs convincing to replace the unit.
Old 11-19-2016, 05:44 AM   #8
AHoyMate

Re: Outside speakers

I had the same problem. My dealer said it was a problem with the stereo, and that it was covered under warranty. I swapped it out in about 20 minutes. Pretty easy job.
Good luck
AHoyMate is offline   Reply With Quote