Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-30-2020, 01:56 PM   #1
7Iron

Help---Underbelly Water

I have water (no smell) between the insulation sheet and the coroplast and in the corrugation channels of the coroplast. We are RVing about 7 hours from home at a state park..and have had 3 days of rain

I have made a 10-15 foot U cut from area below the rear fresh water tank (port side) across to the starboard and then forward to in between the axles -- the area where I noticed dripping.

I do not see any place where water appears to be or has been on top the insulation and the water is between the insulation and coroplast and appears to be coming from the port (drivers) side to a low bulge just inboard the passenger wheels (the area where I first noticed dripping). But the water in the corrugation channels is in every channel from the rear where I made the cut from port to strb all the way up to the strb to port cut in between the axles .

I keep the rig in a covered shed, and I don't know how long the water has been there just a few days or months....

Any suggestions on an approach to finding and fixing the problem.
7Iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 02:04 PM   #2
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Iron View Post
I have water (no smell) between the insulation sheet and the coroplast and in the corrugation channels of the coroplast. We are RVing about 7 hours from home at a state park..and have had 3 days of rain

I have made a 10-15 foot U cut from area below the rear fresh water tank (port side) across to the starboard and then forward to in between the axles -- the area where I noticed dripping.

I do not see any place where water appears to be or has been on top the insulation and the water is between the insulation and coroplast and appears to be coming from the port (drivers) side to a low bulge just inboard the passenger wheels (the area where I first noticed dripping). But the water in the corrugation channels is in every channel from the rear where I made the cut from port to strb all the way up to the strb to port cut in between the axles .

I keep the rig in a covered shed, and I don't know how long the water has been there just a few days or months....

Any suggestions on an approach to finding and fixing the problem.

It will help if you put a signature on your posts so folks don't have to play 20 questions. Go to the UserCP in the black bar on left at the top of each page and add your camper year, make and model and the same for your tow vehicle.

Water intrusion may be from a leak in the roof, sidewalls or from plumbing. A flashlight and patience may help spot the leak which I would guess would more likely be plumbing because a huge amount of water under the trailer would mean a large leak in roof or sidewalls and if you didn't notice from inside the cabin, to me, this suggests plumbing or a tank leaking.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 02:16 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

How to figure out what’s leaking:

Drop the underbelly near the fresh tank since you said it’s clean water. Let it dry out, then hook up the hose and fill the fresh tank. Make sure you watch for any drips and let the tank fill FULL. It should be white and opaque enough to see the water level. If no leaks let it set for a day. Still no leak, turn on the water pump and start running faucets.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 02:21 PM   #4
wiredgeorge

Once you figure this out, buy a roll of Gorilla brand duct tape. It works on sealing coroplast pretty well.
Old 09-30-2020, 02:23 PM   #5
7Iron

[QUOTE=wiredgeorge;413638]It will help if you put a signature on your posts so folks don't have to play 20 questions. Go to the UserCP in the black bar on left at the top of each page and add your camper year, make and model and the same for your tow vehicle.

Wiredgeorge, all of the "signature" data shows below my name on my browser, along with a map of states where we have RV'd but apparently does not show on yours....that is weird...and I have no idea how to fix that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pro.png
Views:	149
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	30081  
Old 09-30-2020, 02:32 PM   #6
wiredgeorge

I see yours now; mine doesn't have any pictures but looks like this:
wiredgeorge Mico TX
2006 F350 CC 4WD 6.0L
2002 Keystone Cougar 278
Old 09-30-2020, 02:34 PM   #7
7Iron

thanks and

what is your thoughts wrt no water on top of insulation sheet but is between insulation sheet and coroplast and in the coroplast channels.

I am thinking that the only entry into the channels is on the edge..which would be a really strange flaw and would indicate water being thrown up by tires..??

I think that the water in the channels is a significant clue...yes?? no??
Old 09-30-2020, 02:38 PM   #8
wiredgeorge

Someone smarter will have to take wag at this. There have been cases where the tires DID throw water up and caused water intrusion but as I recall it was not on a Cougar but a lower end model. Folks have built wheel well protectors as a result but my memory is kind of short as it didn't affect me... just read it from curiosity.
Old 09-30-2020, 02:41 PM   #9
Summergirl

One thing comes to mind:

water in the channels tells me that the water is entering at the front of the trailer where the coroplast is attached. Water is running down the front rails to the front. Water should not be in the channels. That being said you mentioned that it has been raining for three days. Water can be pooling/running down the frame from the front of the trailer.
Unless the coroplast channels are running side to side.

I noticed before ours went into for floor replacement the coroplast had opening along the frame at the front where some of the foam had separated. That will be checked and fixed when it comes back.
Old 09-30-2020, 03:07 PM   #10
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Iron View Post
what is your thoughts wrt no water on top of insulation sheet but is between insulation sheet and coroplast and in the coroplast channels.

I am thinking that the only entry into the channels is on the edge..which would be a really strange flaw and would indicate water being thrown up by tires..??

I think that the water in the channels is a significant clue...yes?? no??

2109 models haven't come out yet... maybe a mistype? 2019 perhaps? Have you been on the roof yet? Inspect sealing around penetrations?
Old 09-30-2020, 05:28 PM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

OP what has been going on exactly while it is raining? Have you been moving/traveling or just stationary? I ask because the water in the channels of the coroplast, although possible from a number of things (maybe) seems to indicate intrusion from the sides/front depending on how the coroplast was oriented (I believe front to back normally - channel direction). Maybe the ends/sides are exposed allowing the water inside - they should be sealed. But, the reason I asked about traveling; I had a Cougar High Country (not 5th wheel) that literally flooded the underside of our trailer when the front of the coroplast decided to "droop" and became a big scoop for the water coming up from the truck. It was underneath all over the top of the coroplast and in the channels of the coroplast, literally "pushed up in there". After I found it and then found a place to stay for a couple of nights the water just dripped and dripped for a couple of days. Maybe nothing to help but maybe.....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 06:15 AM   #12
7Iron

Forum Folks are Awesome (FFAA)

Thanks to everyone for their experiences, thoughts, and logic.

My channels run athwart the 5er (side to side).
We were both stationary and moving during rain.

Based on what y'll have said and what I have seen: I think that I have two issues. A "leak-between insulation and coroplast" and "tire/rain channel intrusion". But geez that seems too unlikely.....

I am going to cut down another 10-15 foot going in front of the axles and see what is happening. If the channel issues stops (too far forward of tires) and water between insulation and coroplast then I will be pretty confident of two problems.

We return home on Saturday so I will continue to leave the "hinged" underbelly coroplast fall to the ground to allow for air drying and then follow chuckster57 troubleshooting guidance....

Also, a couple of trips ago (3 months ago) I was flushing the black tank and forgot that I had the water hooked up and overflowed the tank...water dripping every where in the basement.....too many moving parts.....chuckster57 is suggesting to establish a "dry" baseline and then begin a methodical approach.

I am going to try to blow out the water from the channels, although I don't think that I will be successful.

any other ideas, suggestions or in sights are very welcome...

this forum is truly awesome...thanks to all!!!
Old 10-01-2020, 08:29 AM   #13
ewbldavis

I would expect it to be from road spray. I also have a 2019, and if I had to cut into the underbelly after driving in the rain, especially by the wheels, I would fully expect it to be wet.

The plastic underbelly is not "sealed" to the frame - it'd fill fast if submerged, so not surprised yours is wet after a rainy drive.

Or the ice melted into it when you brought it back from 2109 on the DeLorean

Eddy

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L
2020 Cougar 32BHS
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water