Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 09-25-2020, 08:28 AM   #21
Laredo Tugger

I agree Marshall.
The present process is obviously flawed. Almost a caveman mentality.
Man buy's "truck", "truck" pulls trailer. Huh?? Numbers?
The land of the free and the right to be stupid share a common path in these scenarios and the subsequent visits to "truck" (or trailer) dealers will continue at the consumers expense which in "reality" is the target of economic prosperity.
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 06:34 PM   #22
janders

Thanks for a helpful response. What we ended up doing was bringing the trailer home with my parents' F-350, which gave us time to find a more suitable truck. We needed/liked this particular floorplan for the sleeping and place space for our kids. It sort of hit a sweet spot for us based on price, layout, features, etc. A 5th wheel or larger TT wasn't anything we were interested in.

We were able to trade up to a Ram 2500 6.4, which gave us 3099 lb of payload (up from 1349) and a 19,800 gcwr (up from 13,000). I have a WDH + sway bar that I had them set up for me, and yes, I did buy the longer drop shank for this truck so everything actually sits level. I can't believe how tall the 2500 is.

We just got back from about a 250 mile round trip to Branson, and I was very pleased with how well the truck handled. This setup handled better than my 1500 with a shorter, lighter trailer. Less sway, less bounce, less stress. The Ozarks certainly aren't the Rockies, but there are some decent hills to pull. I stopped at the cat scale on the way home just to see where we were at. I still have some questions about ensuring even loading and weighing the trailer, but I felt very confident with this truck/trailer combo. Thank you for your input!
janders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 06:40 PM   #23
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Laredo, your "Maybe Keystone needs to put something on the trailers they build that recommends a proper tow vehicle for a particular product" sounds good on the surface, but product liability will rear its ugly head and attorneys will take it from there.
Let's compromise: maybe Keystone needs to take something OFF their trailers that claims they are half-ton towable (maybe when filled with helium).
Old 10-05-2020, 07:04 PM   #24
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by janders View Post
Thanks for a helpful response. What we ended up doing was bringing the trailer home with my parents' F-350, which gave us time to find a more suitable truck. We needed/liked this particular floorplan for the sleeping and place space for our kids. It sort of hit a sweet spot for us based on price, layout, features, etc. A 5th wheel or larger TT wasn't anything we were interested in.

We were able to trade up to a Ram 2500 6.4, which gave us 3099 lb of payload (up from 1349) and a 19,800 gcwr (up from 13,000). I have a WDH + sway bar that I had them set up for me, and yes, I did buy the longer drop shank for this truck so everything actually sits level. I can't believe how tall the 2500 is.

We just got back from about a 250 mile round trip to Branson, and I was very pleased with how well the truck handled. This setup handled better than my 1500 with a shorter, lighter trailer. Less sway, less bounce, less stress. The Ozarks certainly aren't the Rockies, but there are some decent hills to pull. I stopped at the cat scale on the way home just to see where we were at. I still have some questions about ensuring even loading and weighing the trailer, but I felt very confident with this truck/trailer combo. Thank you for your input!

Joshua I'm very happy for you. You won't regret the 2500 or the 6.4 with that trailer; you should be good no matter. Don't know how you went into or out of Branson (go there lots) but if it was 65 or some of the other roads they have some pretty good grades...they just don't last long. Didn't say what year etc. but if you have the 8 speed tranny you should be in great shape. Congrats and have fun.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 07:11 AM   #25
Laredo Tugger

To the OP,
You have gone from a bad idea to a good idea. Congrats. That new TV will serve you well (as you recently discovered) and it sounds like you got a great and safe towing combo put together. I will agree, I recently went through the Ozarks into Branson and was surprised at the inclines on a few of those grades.

LHaven,
I agree. The "half ton towable" marketing ploy is the culprit in most of these posts ("Can I tow XXXX with a 150/1500?") and needs to be removed. I know what I was proposing was unrealistic. I guess this forum (and others like it) is the only option for those smart enough to ask before the "sale" to get correct towing information. It appears the OP in this thread did the process correctly.
Have him raise his right hand and swear him into the fraternal order of the "Weight Police".
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote