Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-21-2020, 08:00 AM   #21
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEHansen View Post
Are you sure it doesn't have it? My brother just purchased a 2012 F350 and assumed it didn't have one due to the lack of a switch, but looking at the owner's manual, it is an automatic feature - controlled via the tow/haul mode switch.
My 2010 diesel downshifts' in tow haul mode when braking for "engine compression breaking" and doesn't have a "Jake brake" or exhaust breaking.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 08:52 AM   #22
travelin texans

Have no idea about Ford towing operation. With my GMCs you get in, buckle up, turn the key, then press the tow/haul button, the exhaust brake switch & turn on the cruise control, once speed is achieved start cc, sit back & steer, the truck will handle to rest. If not towing skip the tow/haul & exhaust brake step, unless you're traveling in the mountains, then they come in pretty handy.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 09:46 AM   #23
Canonman

Even my '07.5 Ram operates the same as Danny's GMC. Ford can't be that far behind the technology.
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 07:55 AM   #24
TYHLR

I don't own a F-450 but do have 19.5" wheels and tires on my 3500 as do the 450s.

There is a lot of varying opinions on the use of 19.5s on 450s and duallys in general and getting the wheels/tires properly balanced.

If you have balance issues, feel free to PM me and I will share with you my experiences and how much money I spent and the various gyrations that I went through to get the balance right. Yes, it was a major PIA but all good now.

As others have already pointed out, keeping the maintenance current on a diesel truck is the key to long lasting trouble free service.
Old 08-27-2020, 08:20 AM   #25
MrEnto

DEF and TSD

Get the TSD card as stated above. I recommend keeping your DEF tank fairly topped off and not running it low. DEF crystallizes in a low def tank and I attribute that to some problems I have seen and experienced.
MrEnto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 08:29 AM   #26
MarkEHansen

I've been told specifically not to keep the DEF tank topped off, as this make it hard for the computer to estimate usage. I was told to let it get to the warning level and then fill it.
Old 08-27-2020, 08:51 AM   #27
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott in Michigan View Post
Thanks for all of the replies, gentlemen.

So for full disclosure, I'm looking at an F-450. It would be a 2021.

Trips on the horizon would be cross country from Michigan to Arizona with side trips to Colorado. So mountain driving. Is there anything to know specific to using the exhaust brake?

I'm gathering that DEF usage is low enough that one doesn't need to carry it on board.

Is there a break-in period before towing?

And, any tips appreciated about fueling protocol at truck stops. What do you guys use for payment at the pump?
I have a 2017 450. You will love the automatic engine brake (push button twice for full auto). In the mountains I just put it in cruise and auto engine brake and put both feet on the floor, no braking needed. With that 4.30 rear end it eats mountains. And the big tank allows me to always refill unhooked after arriving at our campground.
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 08:52 AM   #28
sonofcy

YES, check owners manual for towing break in, it's quite a few miles. We basically drove all day for several days around our campsite until we had enough miles.
Old 08-27-2020, 08:57 AM   #29
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
The question is does it even have a manual exhaust brake. My 2013 f350 6.7 does not. F450s?
Yes, push button once for manual, twice for automatic. Now it downshifts and uses the engine brake, and if in cruise I think it brakes if needed as well. All I know is I just push the buttons and aim it both uphill and down over the Rockies.
Old 08-27-2020, 09:27 AM   #30
Sh8789105

DEF Fluid

May have already been stated but try to avoid box DEF and always use the bulk def where the semis fill up. Learned that the hard way.
Sh8789105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 09:36 AM   #31
goodellj

Diesel fuel has a rating called CETANE similar to octane for gasoline. In the US the minimum cetane rating to be sold is 40, which is pretty low quality. Unfortunately you won't get a choice of different cetane ratings at the pump, unlike octane gasoline. Cheaper stations have lower rated cetane, probably right about 40. Better quality fuel costs more and may be rated 44-46. Better fuel gets you better mileage, so bragging about shopping and finding the cheapest fuel in town is not necessarily going to get you the most economical trip. I have gotten mileage while towing as low as 9.5 mpg for cheap fuel, and as high as 13.5 mpg with higher quality. Biodiesel is consistently the lowest quality around. European diesel sedans demand high quality fuel, better than you can find in the US, so the owners tend to use fuel additives to boost the cetane and they avoid biodiesel altogether.
6.7L V-8 diesel, 6-sp automatic, 3.55 axle ratio
goodellj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 11:21 AM   #32
MrEnto

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEHansen View Post
I've been told specifically not to keep the DEF tank topped off, as this make it hard for the computer to estimate usage. I was told to let it get to the warning level and then fill it.
I'm not concerned with the mileage estimate as much as getting an engine light because the def sensor is having issues.
MrEnto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 11:22 AM   #33
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodellj View Post
Diesel fuel has a rating called CETANE similar to octane for gasoline. In the US the minimum cetane rating to be sold is 40, which is pretty low quality. Unfortunately you won't get a choice of different cetane ratings at the pump, unlike octane gasoline. Cheaper stations have lower rated cetane, probably right about 40. Better quality fuel costs more and may be rated 44-46. Better fuel gets you better mileage, so bragging about shopping and finding the cheapest fuel in town is not necessarily going to get you the most economical trip. I have gotten mileage while towing as low as 9.5 mpg for cheap fuel, and as high as 13.5 mpg with higher quality. Biodiesel is consistently the lowest quality around. European diesel sedans demand high quality fuel, better than you can find in the US, so the owners tend to use fuel additives to boost the cetane and they avoid biodiesel altogether.
There's not different fuels for different stations. Regardless of the brand on the sign the fuel is coming from whatever refiner is closest to a given area.
I worked in the business for 30+ years & we made #1 diesel as motor fuels, then came bio diesel that was added to the truck as it was loading to a station.
Whether you're buying at a major companies station or truck stop you're getting the same fuel a the local mom/pop station.
Off road diesel is the very same fuel as any other diesel just has a red dye added for identification, will not harm other vehicles if used by accident.
Replacement undetermined
Old 08-27-2020, 12:11 PM   #34
Javi

My formula for diesel care

Buy it...

Drive it like you stole it..

Pour 2-1/2 gallons of BLUE DEF in it within a couple of hundred miles of the warning flashing less than 1/2

Use 16oz of Diesel Kleen Cetane Booster to 50 gallons of fuel on a regular basis..

Change the oil when the screen flashes change oil soon..

Change both fuel filters every other time the above happens..

Rinse & repeat..
Old 08-27-2020, 12:18 PM   #35
notanlines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh8789105 View Post
May have already been stated but try to avoid box DEF and always use the bulk def where the semis fill up. Learned that the hard way.
Might we some figures backing this up please? Very, very few RV'ers use truck stop DEF.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 12:19 PM   #36
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Buy it...

Drive it like you stole it..

Pour 2-1/2 gallons of BLUE DEF in it within a couple of hundred miles of the warning flashing less than 1/2

Use 16oz of Diesel Kleen Cetane Booster to 50 gallons of fuel on a regular basis..

Change the oil when the screen flashes change oil soon..

Change both fuel filters every other time the above happens..

Rinse & repeat..
Pretty well sums it up!!!!
Replacement undetermined
Old 08-27-2020, 12:30 PM   #37
CedarCreekWoody

Quote:
And why is that?
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 12:40 PM   #38
travelin texans

Quote:
DEF does have a shelf life & each box is dated, so buy it just like you do your gallon of milk, check the date & buy the freshest.
I'll agree that the DEF at the truck pumps is definitely the easiest & cheapest, but have used many many boxed jugs without issue.
Replacement undetermined
Old 08-27-2020, 01:12 PM   #39
ousooner

Let the engine idle for a few minutes before shutting it off to allow the turbo to cool down, especially when you have been towing.
ousooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 02:54 AM   #40
Pull Toy

One thing not mentioned is the need for "Winterized Diesel" fuel in the colder climates. Check with your station to be sure, usually starting in October. If in doubt, put some aftermarket winter additive in the tank tank.

My local station guarantees his fuel to -20, He will tow you in and put you in a super heated garage to defrost. Twenty winters with him, and not one problem.

Only other advise that I can offer is to dispense your own fuel, rather than let the "kid" do it. On my Ford, the DEF tank is right next to the fuel fill. Even though their well marked, it is a potential disaster waiting to happen! $$$

Good Luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote