Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-22-2020, 04:56 AM   #1
cwhite830

2014 Keystone Premium Ultralite Bullet 19FBPR

We are having trouble with our Atwood Refrigerator and it will not switch to DC when we hook up to the truck. Is there a switch, trick or what? Thanks for any help.
cwhite830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 05:10 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

Do you mean it won't switch to gas? As far as I'm aware Keystone didn't use a 3 way fridge (120vac, 12vdc, gas) and it's either 120 vac or gas. The controls are 12 vdc for either gas or 120 vac.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 12:25 PM   #3
cwhite830

On our panel in the front of the refrigerator, it has Auto - Gas - AC - DC. So, we’re assuming when traveling it should automatically switch to DC to keep the refrigerator running. Yes, we know we can use gas but not when traveling and since our days usually consist of a 12 hour day we need to refrigerator to keep cold. If someone else sees this post and can confirm that it doesn’t have DC power please let us know. I would hope that since it has DC on the panel it would, hopefully.
Old 06-23-2020, 12:36 PM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

Can you find the model number off the fridge and post it?
Old 06-23-2020, 01:27 PM   #5
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwhite830 View Post
On our panel in the front of the refrigerator, it has Auto - Gas - AC - DC. So, we’re assuming when traveling it should automatically switch to DC to keep the refrigerator running. Yes, we know we can use gas but not when traveling and since our days usually consist of a 12 hour day we need to refrigerator to keep cold. If someone else sees this post and can confirm that it doesn’t have DC power please let us know. I would hope that since it has DC on the panel it would, hopefully.
If the refrigerator is on propane why wouldn't it stay cold while traveling; only issue with propane is that I think it may not be legal to have to propane on going through tunnels.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 01:50 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwhite830 View Post
We are having trouble with our Atwood Refrigerator and it will not switch to DC when we hook up to the truck. Is there a switch, trick or what? Thanks for any help.
Do you set it to auto? If so it should automatically switch when it looses AC power. If your propane is turned off the LP side of the fridge will not work.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 05:33 PM   #7
cwhite830

Yes it’s on auto and as I stated in the original post we cannot not get it to work on DC not propane or AC (electric). We do not travel with the propane turned on because it’s dangerous and yes it does work with propane and electric when NOT hooked up to the truck. We had an Airstream a few years back with a three way frig and it worked on DC when traveling hooked to the truck which this one should as well. I do not have the model number right now and will look for it tomorrow or later in the week and post so maybe someone can help me figure this out. Thanks for the replies
Old 06-23-2020, 05:41 PM   #8
cwhite830

Ok, so after further research online on our specific frig, DC does show up on our but it is not wired up. I’m assuming we can have this wired then it will work in DC mode while traveling. Thanks for everyone’s reply.
Old 06-23-2020, 05:48 PM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

If your control board has the connections for a 12V heating element, and the heat “stack” has a slit for the 12V element AND the programming is present, then yes you can add a 12V element.

Looking for the element connections on the board and looking for the element “slot” should be fairly easy. If you find the connections and an element I would try it and see what happens.

Dometic bought Atwood, and discontinued any support for the He refers, so I don’t know how readily available the element is.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 05:55 PM   #10
cwhite830

Thank you and we will definitely check to see if this is possible.
Old 06-24-2020, 08:50 AM   #11
cwhite830

Model # HE-0801
Old 06-24-2020, 11:34 AM   #12
travelin texans

With all the safety items built into the LP systems nowadays the only danger to traveling with the fridge on gas is the VERY slight (yes very slight) ignition source while fueling & in very few situations it's illegal thru tunnels.
When traveling I'd bet $$ that 99.99999% of the RVs you see on the highway are traveling with the fridge running on gas. Yes something could happen due the fridge on gas, but the odds would be about that same percentage & could happen when you're parked as well.
We towed ours full-time for 10+ years approximately 150k miles with the fridge on gas, never shut it off even when fueling, but had a diesel so not quite as dangerous. Even traveled with the furnace running when traveling in cold weather.
Traveling with the fridge only on the 12 volt system of your truck sounds like a good opportunity to make a fuel stop & wind up with a dead battery, but I have NO experience with a 3 way fridge.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 11:46 AM   #13
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
With all the safety items built into the LP systems nowadays the only danger to traveling with the fridge on gas is the VERY slight (yes very slight) ignition source while fueling & in very few situations it's illegal thru tunnels.
When traveling I'd bet $$ that 99.99999% of the RVs you see on the highway are traveling with the fridge running on gas. Yes something could happen due the fridge on gas, but the odds would be about that same percentage & could happen when you're parked as well.
We towed ours full-time for 10+ years approximately 150k miles with the fridge on gas, never shut it off even when fueling, but had a diesel so not quite as dangerous. Even traveled with the furnace running when traveling in cold weather.
Traveling with the fridge only on the 12 volt system of your truck sounds like a good opportunity to make a fuel stop & wind up with a dead battery, but I have NO experience with a 3 way fridge.
It would depend on how the charge line is set up. With my truck the charge line is dead with the key off.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 12:17 PM   #14
cwhite830

Thank you and it does make sense to use the gas but our fear is if an accident (vehicle) happened a spark could possibly ignite the tank and blow up. I agree with the odds but with road rage drivers that we frequent daily, that's our concern. Thank you again
Old 06-24-2020, 12:22 PM   #15
flybouy
Site Team

Personally, I think the danger traveling with the fridge on LP gas is a mix of history and urban myth. Many decades ago, the LP appliances had a standing pilot light or of you go even further back no pilot light and you had to manually light the burner. There were also no safety shut devices (thermocouples and gas line valves) to shut off the gas in the event of a flame out.

If you do a search on the internet I think you would find it devoid of stories or reports related to LP explosions or fires due to accidents. It's like so many other myths perpetuated from movies and TV shows like shooting a gas tank and it explodes, dropping a cigarette on gas on the ground and it explodes, etc. This has been discussed many, many times here and on other forums.

My advice, do what ever makes you feel comfortable and at ease.
Old 06-24-2020, 07:13 PM   #16
chartrand

I have the 2014 premier 22rbpr and the same Atwood refrigerator. (Domestic purchased the Atwood HE refrigerator line and then ended the product). So replacement parts are difficult to find. I was starting to have issues with mine staying cold even after adding fan kits. So now I’m in the process of replacing it with an 12 volt compressor refrigerator. So in the near future I can run on 12 volt all the time. I don’t boon-dock, so I don’t need to run on propane.

2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2017 Chevy Colorado (Baby Duramax)
Propride P3 Hitch
chartrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 07:44 AM   #17
CampNBrew2

@cwhite830
I have the 13' 22RBPR with the HE-601 refrigerator. I have attached the manual for you in case you don't have it. It does show terminals on the control board for a 12VDC heater and a 3 way option.
You likely won't find a direct replacement Atwood heater cartridge. As mentioned Dometic does not support the older Atwood products. That said, a Dometic cartridge likely will fit and be similar wattage. I would NOT leave the refer in DC mode while the truck is off at all. This is a high amperage that will drain your batteries in short order. I had a 3 way in a tent trailer and would switch to gas whenever stopping for more than a few minutes.
As others have mentioned, I believe it is safe to run on gas while traveling. It is a very common practice.

@chartrand
"So now I’m in the process of replacing it with an 12 volt compressor refrigerator. So in the near future I can run on 12 volt all the time."

Do you have more info on this swap? Knock on wood, my He fridge works great but have heard of all the issues they have had.
Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: pdf he0601.pdf (164.9 KB, 213 views)
2015 Honda CRF250L (Wifes)
Camping, home brewing, and dirt bikes!
CampNBrew2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 02:17 PM   #18
bjansen

No DC

I know you posted your question awhile back, but I thought I would confirm what you probably know. There is no DC available on the Atwood fridge even though there is a display that shows it. We have a 2014 Bullet too with the Atwood fridge. It too shows DC on the panel, but it isn't present. I had it replaced in 2015 under warranty ans asked the tech support folks about it. They said it was on the panel, but never made operational.
bjansen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
19fbpr, bullet, keystone