Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2020, 05:03 PM   #1
gmere32

Suburban water heater thread size

I’m looking for the thread size for the anode rod hole on the suburban water heater sw6p. Thanks in advance
gmere32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 05:24 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

They are "tapered" threads, bigger on the outside and progressively smaller on the inside. You can't use a "standard tap" to clean the threads.

If I had to make a "SWAG", I'd guess the threads are 3/4" NPT (tapered).

What are you trying to do that would need the thread size?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 05:46 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

If my mind is still in gear, there are 2 different sizes. 3/4” and 5/8”. 3/4” is the most common.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 06:00 PM   #4
gmere32

The threads that the anode rod screws into are stripped.
Old 03-25-2020, 06:14 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmere32 View Post
The threads that the anode rod screws into are stripped.

Any idea how that happened?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 03-25-2020, 06:15 PM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

Depending on the condition of the threads in the tank you could get a "pipe tap" and "chase" the threads by running the tap in and out. This will work if the threads are "rolled over" by "pulling" the threads back to the proper position. If the threads are actually "pulled out" then it's game over. If you can't find the tap you can try taking a black iron nipple of the correct size and "create" one. I've done this on occasion with decent results. Take iron pie and clamp it in a vise or flat on a table. Take a Dremel tool with a thin cut off wheel and cut 5 or 6 grooves perpendicular to the threads. Then use that nipple as a tap to clean up the threads.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 06:24 PM   #7
gmere32

It was like that when I bought the camper a couple weeks ago.
Old 03-25-2020, 06:32 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

I don't know how much experience you have with RV's, so don't take this the wrong way.....

The anode rod is "front heavy" meaning it "aims down" when inserted into the threads. If you don't "push up on the bottom of the anode nut" the threads won't catch and you can "spin it till you wear your fingers out" and it will NEVER catch the threads....

So, if you're trying to install it and don't have it lined up properly, it will "act like the threads are stripped" but in reality, they're just "not aligned"....

Any time you try to install the anode rod, put about 5 or 6 wraps of Teflon tape on the threads. That will help prevent corrosion from binding the anode and will lubricate the threads as well as "fill the gaps" to prevent leaks....

My guess is that if you "get on your knees, hold your tongue just right, cross your eyes and your toes, you'll probably get it threaded..... Hope so anyway !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-25-2020, 07:06 PM   #9
bobbecky

If the threads are damaged or just need to be cleaned up, pipe taps are not that expensive. https://www.amazon.com/IRWIN-1906ZR-...5191906&sr=8-5
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 07:09 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I don't know how much experience you have with RV's, so don't take this the wrong way.....

The anode rod is "front heavy" meaning it "aims down" when inserted into the threads. If you don't "push up on the bottom of the anode nut" the threads won't catch and you can "spin it till you wear your fingers out" and it will NEVER catch the threads....

So, if you're trying to install it and don't have it lined up properly, it will "act like the threads are stripped" but in reality, they're just "not aligned"....

Any time you try to install the anode rod, put about 5 or 6 wraps of Teflon tape on the threads. That will help prevent corrosion from binding the anode and will lubricate the threads as well as "fill the gaps" to prevent leaks....

My guess is that if you "get on your knees, hold your tongue just right, cross your eyes and your toes, you'll probably get it threaded..... Hope so anyway !!!!!

John, you were "almost" completely correct....you forgot the "secret" words that you have to utter as you work the threads....
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 08:15 PM   #11
Logan X

I put the socket (1 1/16 I think) on the anode and turn it by hand. It gives you the leverage you need to push down on the end of the anode while you are screwing it in so you can catch the threads easier.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 11:52 PM   #12
LHaven

Quote:
Any time you try to install the anode rod, put about 5 or 6 wraps of Teflon tape on the threads.
Doesn't the anode assembly have to be conductively bonded to the casing to work properly?
Old 03-26-2020, 02:28 AM   #13
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
Doesn't the anode assembly have to be conductively bonded to the casing to work properly?
The water inside the tank will do that, no need for metal to metal contact via the threads.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 06:31 AM   #14
Bostongone

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
If the threads are damaged or just need to be cleaned up, pipe taps are not that expensive. https://www.amazon.com/IRWIN-1906ZR-...5191906&sr=8-5
And notice all of the positive reviews by RV owners to clean out their RV water heater anode threads! Great lead bobbecky!
Old 03-26-2020, 08:02 AM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
Yes (and no)…

If you wrap Teflon tape around the threads, insert the anode and tighten it "slightly" then immediately remove it and inspect the threads, you'll find that the threads "cut the Teflon tape" to make "some slight electrical (metal to metal) contact, so even with Teflon tape, there is "conductivity" between the two pieces. Add the water that sits "at the edge of the threads inside the tank" and you've got significantly more "electrical conductivity" than the very slight "pico-volts" required for anode/cathode conductivity".....

When you consider that the end of the threaded anode nut and the threads on the water heater tank will make contact (via the water in the tank) there is no "effective means to insulate them, no matter how much Teflon tape is wrapped around the threads. Add the "physical cutting of Teflon" that also occurs when the threads mesh and tighten, it's "impossible not to have conductivity".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-26-2020, 08:18 AM   #16
firestation12

If after using thread tape you are in doubt that the tape has isolated the anode rod, you can confirm that the anode rod has conductivity to the tank by using an OHM meter. Touch one probe to the anode's hex head, and the other probe to the tank.
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 08:19 AM   #17
travelin texans

Quote:
Yes (and no)…

If you wrap Teflon tape around the threads, insert the anode and tighten it "slightly" then immediately remove it and inspect the threads, you'll find that the threads "cut the Teflon tape" to make "some slight electrical (metal to metal) contact, so even with Teflon tape, there is "conductivity" between the two pieces. Add the water that sits "at the edge of the threads inside the tank" and you've got significantly more "electrical conductivity" than the very slight "pico-volts" required for anode/cathode conductivity".....

When you consider that the end of the threaded anode nut and the threads on the water heater tank will make contact (via the water in the tank) there is no "effective means to insulate them, no matter how much Teflon tape is wrapped around the threads. Add the "physical cutting of Teflon" that also occurs when the threads mesh and tighten, it's "impossible not to have conductivity".....

Not to mention without the Teflon tape you'll likely not get the rod removed the next time without damaging the tank, if at all
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 09:45 AM   #18
chuckster57
Site Team

I use white thread seal. 1/2 drive with an extended handle ratchet hasn’t failed me yet.

Old 03-26-2020, 10:03 AM   #19
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
I use white thread seal. 1/2 drive with an extended handle ratchet hasn’t failed me yet.
I needed to remove the anode from the water heater in DD house, I could start to move the full HW tank with a 24" breaker bar. I got out my impact wrench and a couple burst had it loose!
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 10:31 AM   #20
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
I needed to remove the anode from the water heater in DD house, I could start to move the full HW tank with a 24" breaker bar. I got out my impact wrench and a couple burst had it loose!
I did the same thing a couple years ago. I got the anode rod out of our S&B water heater, tank fitting and all. $500 later we had a new water heater and all is good again. I'm not sure if the breaker bar "broke the weld" or if the impact wrench "tore the weld out of the corrosion weakened tank"... Either way, sometimes buying a new water heater is the only "reasonable repair"......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS

Tags
heat, heater, water, water heater