Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2021, 01:25 PM   #21
Todd727

I didn't see anyone mention this, but it's not the truck suspension that is going to have a problem. Tight turns and backing 90 degrees put a serious load on the trailer suspension and we all know these campers aren't exactly over-engineered.
Old 03-04-2021, 02:14 PM   #22
Ibdagriz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
This is a good idea, except.... the tighter the turning radius of the tow vehicle, the tighter the trailer tires track to the center of the circle. It won't leave you much room for any buildings:
Not sure how he was thinking of the configuration, but my thought was pull through on either end of property through the garage on either side end and then turn back towards the living quarters and circle out of the property on the other end of sleeping quarters. Long curve from side to side.

Griz
Ibdagriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 03:22 PM   #23
dahvger

Go with the F450 and a gravel drive. that way your suspension won't get jacked up. the tires will slide. you will need to level the gravel occasionally.
dahvger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 05:16 PM   #24
roadglide

Depends on what size house you are building I put my house in the middle of 150 ft lot 200 ft long . I have a circled drive all the way around the house. The pole barn is built in the far left back corner. I drive up next to the house and back into the pole barn. If I would have done what you are describing my pole barn would be setting in front of the house even with 150 foot wide with 20 wide poll barn .
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 05:32 PM   #25
jimborokz

Maybe something like this will help.

One of the problems is getting the rig straightened out after the turn.
2017 F-350, psd,4x4, lariat, c-c, swb, srw
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 06:20 AM   #26
Ibdagriz

This guy is all about trucks and towables. Here's the GMC 3500/ F-350 / F-450 turning radius video he did.

I'm on a Ford truck forum and lots of the guys love the 450 turning radius for campground parking. At one time you could get the wide track front end on the 350, but it stopped around 2015 or so. Not sure exactly when.

Griz
Ibdagriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 06:44 AM   #27
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimborokz View Post
Maybe something like this will help.

One of the problems is getting the rig straightened out after the turn.
http://sideshifteronline.com/ is a site for sale now. Don't know if they are still in business or not. I can only imagine that is must have been very expensive and a lot of weight to take away from the carry capacity of the trailer.

So I guess in the situation they demonstrated I'd revert to may old "jaw shifter" method. Wait for the driver that pinned me in to come out then "jack his jaw" to shift it out of place.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 07:21 AM   #28
jimborokz

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
http://sideshifteronline.com/ is a site for sale now. Don't know if they are still in business or not. I can only imagine that is must have been very expensive and a lot of weight to take away from the carry capacity of the trailer.

So I guess in the situation they demonstrated I'd revert to may old "jaw shifter" method. Wait for the driver that pinned me in to come out then "jack his jaw" to shift it out of place.
I didn't look for the web site, I just remembered seeing the video once.
They use these 90 degree dollies on trailers they use to deliver sheds.
We bought a 20' storage shed and the delivery guy backed down an 11' wide alley next to the house into the back yard. Now he's like 90 off from where it has to go and I'm wondering now what? He pops down these wheels and pivots the trailer about 80 degrees and continues to back it right into place, except now the shed if facing the wrong way. Then he raises the shed up on a turntable and spins it 90 degrees and slides it right off where I wanted it. Took him maybe 15 minutes and I'm thinking, "can I hire this guy to park my fifth wheel for me"? Amazing.
2017 F-350, psd,4x4, lariat, c-c, swb, srw
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 04:48 AM   #29
BookPaul74

I don’t think you can order a Ford with a 6.4 anymore. ��
Summer-Nebraska Winter-Arizona area
BookPaul74 is offline   Reply With Quote