Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2020, 03:27 PM   #61
RET.LEO

If buying a new rig.........just four more things to negotiate for.
RET.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 03:36 PM   #62
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Yes, my method for deciding the load range could impact the wheel. If one is going to do that it is mandatory to know what the specs of the wheel are.

GAWR could come into play if you tried to load to the tire capability and disregarded the gawr but that isn't the purpose, for me, to upgrade the LRE. It's to give me as much cushion as possible in an effort to prevent a tire failure from ???

I do believe that raising the minimum cushion to 10% is going to help and is a contributor to many of the failures in the past. However, that does not mean, to me, that is the sole reason for repeated Trailer King failures.

The article you attached via the link was from April of last year (2019) and they indicate that the tire was a "new" tire...whatever that may be. It also notes it is produced by the Sailun Jinyu Group. I'm hoping that is not going to be the same Yonsheng plant that the other Trailer Kings came from. If it isn't, that may bode very well for the Trailer King brand. I don't know how they could not be aware of the dismal perception the brand has. Time will tell....and I'll try to look into it when I have time.....or you may have some sort of document that would tell us if the plant is in fact different.
Maybe someone using newish Trailer King tires can provide us with their plant code. Every tire is required to have a plant code molded into its sidewall.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 04:14 PM   #63
efrulla

Dumped my China Bombers

First thing this summer I replaced my China Bombers with Goodyear Endurance tires. When they took the tires off the trailer, they were starting to come apart on the inside.
efrulla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 04:24 PM   #64
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by efrulla View Post
First thing this summer I replaced my China Bombers with Goodyear Endurance tires. When they took the tires off the trailer, they were starting to come apart on the inside.
I wonder why they did that?
Old 01-09-2020, 04:33 PM   #65
Kylemcmahon1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
You did leave off the comparison of cost in your original post.

Given that most folks shop on price a failure to compare tires of equal price is not a reasonable comparison.

You are right. In general. But not always true.

But you get what you pay for.
There is some truth with that when it comes to tires.
Kylemcmahon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 05:09 PM   #66
Gunny Mike

Our 1989 Prowler didn't have a tire issue although I did replace them in 1994. My 2019 Outback with TK's on them I had a blow out 10 months after it was purchased. I got the Carlisle tire at Walmart for about $75 a piece with the wife's employee discount. Right now I'm not comfortable with three TKsitting on it and was thinking about putting a TPMS system on it. I was lucky somebody pulled up and yelled out at us before we jumped on I10. Seems like every road trip now somebody is rolling down their window and yelling at us for some RV moment. I wish Saluins were available but they come in 16" only. Have you heard of anybody upgrading from 15 to 16 tires? They seem to be a better tire and running at 100 psi too.
Gunny Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 05:39 PM   #67
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunny Mike View Post
Our 1989 Prowler didn't have a tire issue although I did replace them in 1994. My 2019 Outback with TK's on them I had a blow out 10 months after it was purchased. I got the Carlisle tire at Walmart for about $75 a piece with the wife's employee discount. Right now I'm not comfortable with three TKsitting on it and was thinking about putting a TPMS system on it. I was lucky somebody pulled up and yelled out at us before we jumped on I10. Seems like every road trip now somebody is rolling down their window and yelling at us for some RV moment. I wish Saluins were available but they come in 16" only. Have you heard of anybody upgrading from 15 to 16 tires? They seem to be a better tire and running at 100 psi too.
There are LRF 15" steel cased tires on the market. They have a 3195# load capacity at 95 PSI.

https://www.greenballtires.com/brand...tow-master-asc
Old 01-10-2020, 12:14 PM   #68
Tatanka Ob Waci

Tires

We replaced the China Bombs with Synergy 14 ply tires. Haven't had an issue at all.
Tatanka Ob Waci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 10:46 AM   #69
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatanka Ob Waci View Post
We replaced the China Bombs with Synergy 14 ply tires. Haven't had an issue at all.
I'm surprised you could find them in Sturgis. Did you mail order them?

https://synergytire.com/tires/sp500/
Old 01-11-2020, 12:04 PM   #70
srvnt

The only ST tire made in the USA.
Over 30,000 brutal miles on 4 GY Endurance and still NO problems!
Better sidewalls, higher speeds, and yes noticeably better ride.

After so many china bomb experiences, I'll never buy anything else.You get what you pay for especially with trailer tires. Every blowout is a potential fatality for you, your family and anyone else on the road.
How important is that?
Did I mention they are the only ST tire made in the USA.

2013 Passport 2890RL GT
2015 Silverado CC LTZ 4x 2500 Duramax
HB Cal
srvnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 01:48 PM   #71
Tatanka Ob Waci

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
I'm surprised you could find them in Sturgis. Did you mail order them?

https://synergytire.com/tires/sp500/
Yes I ordered them online as none of the local suppliers could get them from their distributors.
Tatanka Ob Waci is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires