Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-30-2018, 11:58 AM   #21
waltheraustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
John and Joe may be onto something. I've been looking and Curt has some very impressive positive reviews. None I saw even vaguely mentioned a failure like yours....in fact no failures from metal fatigue.

I just can't figure a receive breaking like that. I pick my 3/4 ton truck up and down with my hitch in the receiver, back wherever I want with the sway bars etc. on and nothing at all fazes my receiver. I've never hand any other receiver give me that kind of issue either. Which makes me thin faulty receiver. With so many positive reviews maybe something IS happening during usage that is causing the issue. I would think it would have to be something really bad or just a poor grade metal in the receiver; I don't know but looking at what is happening to the receiver might be something to check. You said these last cracks come on a new receiver while you were trying to adjust the Equalizer. If so, having set up an Equalizer, there is nothing in that process that would even begin to put enough stress on the receiver to crack it. Just a thought....what class is the receiver....4? Thinking that maybe it's a light weight receiver and the sheer weight of a heavier trailer is causing it...?
The trailer is within the limits of the 12000/1200lb limits especially not loaded for camping. I need to get it weighed to be sure but it can't be greater than 1200lbs (no battery was even on yesterday)
waltheraustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 11:59 AM   #22
waltheraustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66joej View Post
Another WAG. When backing up sharply with the E4 connected do you have the bars on? If the sway control adjustment on the head is torqued up more than about 65# it could be putting a sideways stress on the receiver.
I didn't even move it yesterday, just hooked up to get measurements for the eq 4 pt additional setup
Old 04-30-2018, 11:59 AM   #23
waltheraustin

Thanks for the help!! Appreciate it!
Old 04-30-2018, 12:21 PM   #24
waltheraustin

From another perspective

"The piece in question looks to be cast, and then pressed on. The piece is stressed from forming and then breaks when pressed onto the tube. Probably made from that fine Chinese steel we've been flooded with the last several years."
Old 04-30-2018, 01:14 PM   #25
sourdough
Site Team

I think I'm going with a crappy receiver. Look at the pic of the 2nd receiver. The only stress it had was the raising and lowering of the hitch to set it up. Typically you put more weight (it seems to me) on the receiver when I pull the truck up to get clearance to put on the sway bars. The pic shows the stress cracks in the 2 upper corners, exactly where the pressure would be, in my mind, when lifting the hitch and rear of the truck.

If you have them "fix" it at a welding shop make SURE they know what they are doing. If they don't do it right you could end up with your trailer dangling behind you pulling you all over the place. I've had welders that said they could do X but didn't have a clue about the dynamics at play and what the end game needed to be.....but they could lay a bead. Others I've used were just fantastic.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 02:44 PM   #26
66joej

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltheraustin View Post
Thanks for the help!! Appreciate it!
If you are having to replace the receiver I would go to Ford and get the receiver that came on that truck. If the lease company removed it Ford could run the VIN and sell you the right one. Just a suggestion.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 03:18 PM   #27
waltheraustin

I'd rather try to get it reinforced and see what it looks like after hitching up a few times. Then go from there but OEM is probably the way to go at this point
Old 04-30-2018, 04:49 PM   #28
MarcS

Is there a lot of slop when you put the adapter in the receiver?
Old 04-30-2018, 04:58 PM   #29
waltheraustin

Not a ton but there is a little bit. No more than the last reciever on my last truck
Old 04-30-2018, 08:09 PM   #30
waltheraustin

Another group is telling me to raise the hitch and get bigger bars. If I raise it any more, the trailer would be front high. The bars are pushing it I'll admit but I really want to try this combo out before buying again
Old 04-30-2018, 08:28 PM   #31
waltheraustin

Just order a tounge scale to get that figured out
Old 05-01-2018, 09:46 AM   #32
waltheraustin

Am I wrong to think this could cause issues where a trailer comes unhooked during a trip? Lord hopes safety chains stop the trailer from running into someone. Some may not look at the receiver Everytime they hookup. I look at everything fortunately but you never know who is on the road that may have a faulty receiver playing Russian roulette.

I'll know more after weighing the tongue tomorrow. If I'm under 1200lbs (Curt rating on this model) then I believe they have some explaing to do, right? They won't respond to me now.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:05 AM   #33
MarcS

I do not think you would run the risk of the trailer breaking loose from the hitch. Looks like the cracks are only on the outside "beauty" ring.
That being said I don't think I'd pull my camper with it unless I had to!
Old 05-01-2018, 11:46 AM   #34
waltheraustin

If it's there for looks, no worries right?
Old 05-01-2018, 12:01 PM   #35
MarcS

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltheraustin View Post
If it's there for looks, no worries right?
True. But if that's failing already, what's next? That would be my only worry. Curt is usually a stand up brand. But if they're not returning your calls or emails, that's an issue.
Old 05-01-2018, 12:46 PM   #36
waltheraustin

I just got an email asking about my wdh setup so just sent pics. I'll see what they say.

Thanks all
Old 05-04-2018, 05:46 AM   #37
waltheraustin

I went by a welder shop yesterday to get it welded. After hitting it with a wire brush to clean off the paint, found that it doesn't look cracked after all which seemed odd. I had them reinforce the 2 corners anyway. It looks brand new which I guess it is but it's smooth
Old 05-04-2018, 07:04 AM   #38
MarcS

Glad you finally got it checked out and that nothing is wrong. Now you can rest and go camping!
Old 05-04-2018, 07:17 AM   #39
waltheraustin

Yea, got a scale for the tounge weight. I'm definitely on the verge of needing to upsize my wdh but I'm not overloading the hitch. It was a little more than hoped but I guess that's average where they always more than expected. Glad to have the extra payload now
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcS View Post
Glad you finally got it checked out and that nothing is wrong. Now you can rest and go camping!
Old 05-05-2018, 02:01 PM   #40
waltheraustin

Cracking again after 3 hours. I'm done with Curt. They want to point fingers at the wdh or that I'm overloading it when I'm fact I don't have my Laptop brackets as high as they should be just to keep this from happening. I emailed the tech but I'm sure I'll get the same song and dance.

Buyer beware. Their 1200lb max might be more like 800-900

Tags
hideout