Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2018, 05:39 PM   #1
waltheraustin

Receiver for 2015 hideout 27dbs

What reciever is used for a 27dbs hideout? I or the inferior Curt receiver cracked after a couple of times. Today I got the replacement then after installing it I decided to make wdh adjustments so after I was done, I noticed this on hitch number 2. This was with a bare trailer except for 2 half filled propane tanks and no battery during this session. No water anywhere to be found for extra weifht. I had a few totes with pooper hose, electrical stuff but nothing crazy so 1000lbs would be on the high end I'm guessing.

Here is hitch number 2 and hitch number 1. 1200lbs cap on this Curt hitchClick image for larger version

Name:	20180429_170344.jpeg
Views:	299
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	16231Click image for larger version

Name:	20180411_114000.jpeg
Views:	286
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	16232
waltheraustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 06:01 PM   #2
Kylemcmahon1

Call curt and make them replace or refund money. I would not use there receiver if that is what it does with not one but two different receivers.
Kylemcmahon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 06:21 PM   #3
waltheraustin

I bought from etrailer and they washed their hands of me the first time and punted me to Curt. Curt gave me a hard time saying that in 30 years they've never seen this. I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong. I didn't even tow today, just aligning the wdh which is crazy. Almost no weight at all. Really frustrated with their stuff. My old Silverado had a hitch that would take a beating and not show. Curts steel or weilding must be no bueno. Going to see what a weilder can do. Already cancelled one trip due to the first hitch and have another next weekend.
Old 04-29-2018, 06:25 PM   #4
Kylemcmahon1

I have never seen a hitch do that either. But ever vehicle I have had came with a hitch so I have no experience with after market. I would go somewhere that does hitches to get the next one and make sure the receiver is rated for wdh. Some of the half ton trucks if you look the rating is different for wdh and no wdh. Maybe that curt is not rated to be used for a wdh.
Old 04-29-2018, 06:30 PM   #5
waltheraustin

It's rated for 1200lbs wdh
Old 04-29-2018, 06:32 PM   #6
Kylemcmahon1

You mean 12000 lbs?

I am not sure what else except let people know how bad curt has been. Go to a shop that specializes in hitched like u-haul or truck place for your next hitch. Some place that will stand behind the product they install and sell.
Good luck.
Old 04-29-2018, 06:34 PM   #7
waltheraustin

12000 and 1200 on the tounge
Old 04-29-2018, 06:36 PM   #8
waltheraustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylemcmahon1 View Post
You mean 12000 lbs?

I am not sure what else except let people know how bad curt has been. Go to a shop that specializes in hitched like u-haul or truck place for your next hitch. Some place that will stand behind the product they install and sell.
Good luck.
Does uhaul have decent stuff? Better than Curt? I guess that's not hard. Appreciate the help!
Old 04-29-2018, 06:36 PM   #9
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Matt, what kind of WDH are you using? Other than the tongue weight of the trailer there shouldn't be a lot of forces on the receiver. It should be distributed throughout the receiver tube and not kn the edges. Maybe some pictures of what you're doing would help.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 06:47 PM   #10
waltheraustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
Matt, what kind of WDH are you using? Other than the tongue weight of the trailer there shouldn't be a lot of forces on the receiver. It should be distributed throughout the receiver tube and not kn the edges. Maybe some pictures of what you're doing would help.
It's an equilizer 4 pt wdh.

Here's a pic front today. I shouldve got some closer up shotsClick image for larger version

Name:	20180429_163700.jpeg
Views:	467
Size:	161.4 KB
ID:	16236
Old 04-29-2018, 06:57 PM   #11
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltheraustin View Post
It's an equilizer 4 pt wdh.

Here's a pic front today. I shouldve got some closer up shotsAttachment 16236
Hmmm...I have a 4pt Equalizer too. It's hard t ok tell from the picture but you look level. Did you follow all of the hitch set up directions to a T? You may want to call Equalizer and see what they can offer. Something is just not right. There should not be that much pressure on the edge.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
Old 04-29-2018, 07:01 PM   #12
waltheraustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
Hmmm...I have a 4pt Equalizer too. It's hard t ok tell from the picture but you look level. Did you follow all of the hitch set up directions to a T? You may want to call Equalizer and see what they can offer. Something is just not right. There should not be that much pressure on the edge.
It's level, front of the trailer is maybe 1/4 to 1/2 inch lower in the front. Front fender came back almost all the way. Few very good about the setup after getting meticulous with it trying it a few ways and getting it exactly level before measuring the trailer hitch height
Old 04-29-2018, 07:46 PM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

If that's a 12k receiver something is drastically wrong with the construction or the metal it appears. You would have to do some really crazy stuff when you put the hitch in the receiver to make it crack like that. To me it looks like a Curt manufacturing issue all the way around....no matter how they try to whitewash it. The problem is, even if you held Curt's feet to the fire, after having this I wouldn't have anything they made on my vehicle.

Find a reputable shop and have them install a GOOD receiver properly. I have the Equalizer and they are a very good hitch. I'm not sure how I could twist around any more than I do to make a receiver break like that.

Send Curt an email with pics of the 2 receivers. Tell them they could have gotten you killed and you have been through unimaginable stress along with your family. Tell them you want your money back plus $1000. If they refuse you will have a lawyer contact them to meet them in court and let a jury decide how much you get.....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 08:29 PM   #14
waltheraustin

Roger that! I'll call them tomorrow. Let you know how it goes. Thanks man!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
If that's a 12k receiver something is drastically wrong with the construction or the metal it appears. You would have to do some really crazy stuff when you put the hitch in the receiver to make it crack like that. To me it looks like a Curt manufacturing issue all the way around....no matter how they try to whitewash it. The problem is, even if you held Curt's feet to the fire, after having this I wouldn't have anything they made on my vehicle.

Find a reputable shop and have them install a GOOD receiver properly. I have the Equalizer and they are a very good hitch. I'm not sure how I could twist around any more than I do to make a receiver break like that.

Send Curt an email with pics of the 2 receivers. Tell them they could have gotten you killed and you have been through unimaginable stress along with your family. Tell them you want your money back plus $1000. If they refuse you will have a lawyer contact them to meet them in court and let a jury decide how much you get.....
Old 04-30-2018, 10:19 AM   #15
waltheraustin

Haven't heard back from Curt and don't expect to but did stop by a local welding shop and said he could fix and reinforce no problem.
Old 04-30-2018, 10:29 AM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

This is not a solution and also is not fingerpointing.....

Here is the situation as I believe it was reported.

1. A CURT receiver cracked at the edges (corners) of the receiver tube. This area is reinforced with a second layer of steel welded around the outer margins of the receiver tube.
2. A second CURT receiver, after one use, cracked in the same location at the corners of the receiver tube.

I'd be very suspicious of the "stinger" on the hitch that is being inserted into the receiver tube. It seems very suspicious to me that two receiver tubes cracked in the same location, one of them after one use.

Keep in mind that those CURT receiver tubes are used on thousands of hitches (many with different mounting brackets on multiple types of tow vehicles) without a failure being reported, and here's two in a row, one after a single use.

Something is "fishy" and I would look for a problem with the parts that "touch the receiver tube" to be sure they aren't causing the problem.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 10:36 AM   #17
66joej

Another WAG. When backing up sharply with the E4 connected do you have the bars on? If the sway control adjustment on the head is torqued up more than about 65# it could be putting a sideways stress on the receiver.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 11:16 AM   #18
sourdough
Site Team

John and Joe may be onto something. I've been looking and Curt has some very impressive positive reviews. None I saw even vaguely mentioned a failure like yours....in fact no failures from metal fatigue.

I just can't figure a receive breaking like that. I pick my 3/4 ton truck up and down with my hitch in the receiver, back wherever I want with the sway bars etc. on and nothing at all fazes my receiver. I've never hand any other receiver give me that kind of issue either. Which makes me thin faulty receiver. With so many positive reviews maybe something IS happening during usage that is causing the issue. I would think it would have to be something really bad or just a poor grade metal in the receiver; I don't know but looking at what is happening to the receiver might be something to check. You said these last cracks come on a new receiver while you were trying to adjust the Equalizer. If so, having set up an Equalizer, there is nothing in that process that would even begin to put enough stress on the receiver to crack it. Just a thought....what class is the receiver....4? Thinking that maybe it's a light weight receiver and the sheer weight of a heavier trailer is causing it...?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 11:49 AM   #19
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Matt, you have an F150 if I found the right info in previous posts. Did it not come with a receiver as this is an after market receiver? Is it a 2 inch receiver with a 2 inch stinger?

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
Old 04-30-2018, 11:57 AM   #20
waltheraustin

It did not come with one as it was a fleet truck so hitch was removed before being put into service. I'm using the same equalizer 4pt that is used with my last truck and trailer. When I was setting up the last trailer on the eq 4pt, I must've raised it 5 or 6 times before getting it dialed in. I agree that it's either something I'm doing which I'm not doing anything differently than what I was doing or it's the equipment (equalizer which also has great reviews). I'm at a loss, just doesn't make sense. Thinking that welding it to make it stronger is the way to go. Thoughts?

Tags
hideout