Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-01-2016, 03:40 PM   #1
Fonedude

replacement keys

The exterior door lock has an "M". what keys do I need?
Fonedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 04:17 PM   #2
Ken / Claudia

Re: replacement keys

Not enough information. Maybe adding what trailer by model and year may help. Is this the key that opens both door locks, Do you have 2 locks or one on the door. Is this a entry door or cargo door.
Tell us does this key have a black plastic top/end and say FIC.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 04:29 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

I believe Global Link RV locks key their "master" keys with a "M". Otherwise, I'm not aware of any RV door locks that use an "M" in the key code.

You might get more information by calling RV Locks: http://www.rvlocksandmore.com/Global...s#.WBkynekVCpo

This is the link to their Global Link lock page. If you can't find answers to your questions on their website, you might contact them to ask questions.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 05:29 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

IIRC, M is the series, I would have to look at my master key, but I think it is an M. I also have some old single sided pass keys marked D, E, F.

Often times the key code is printed on a label and that label can be on the exterior of the inside plate, or inside the lock.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 11:19 AM   #5
rsl

Unscrew the Interior door handle panel and take it off. Most of the time the code is on a sticker that is on the backside of the exterior handle.
rsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 03:13 PM   #6
Fonedude

I should have mentioned the camper, duh. 2016 Keystone Passport Elite 29 BH.
Fonedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 04:07 PM   #7
scott24

My keys had the number stamped on them. I ordered extra keys from Ebay
Old 11-04-2016, 01:59 AM   #8
Larry1013

you can get a master key and then have other keys made from it to fit your doors.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-RV-MK9901-...tUA1aT&vxp=mtr

2015 F350 Ultra Lariat CrewCab Long Bed 6.7L
2005 Keystone Outback Sydney 30FRKS
Larry1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 05:04 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry1013 View Post
you can get a master key and then have other keys made from it to fit your doors.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-RV-MK9901-...tUA1aT&vxp=mtr
If you consider doing this, don't forget that the "M" (master) key will only work the upper lockset. It will not operate the deadbolt. None of the FIC or Global locks will work both locks with the master. So, if you want to be able to lock/unlock both locks on the entry door, you'll need a key with the specific number that's reflected inside the lock, usually on the inside of the interior pull handle "faceplate".

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-30-2017, 04:52 PM   #10
CrazyCain

[QUOTE=JRTJH;215634]If you consider doing this, don't forget that the "M" (master) key will only work the upper lockset. It will not operate the deadbolt. None of the FIC or Global locks will work both locks with the master. So, if you want to be able to lock/unlock both locks on the entry door, you'll need a key with the specific number that's reflected inside the lock, usually on the inside of the interior pull handle "faceplate".[/QUOTE

John, DW locked her self out of the Trailer this weekend, (not sure how that happened becasue she claims door was unlocked when she closed it)and I was 2.5 hrs away from rescueing her. So, thinking time to get an extra key made and hide it somewhere. Searched door locks and found your post that answered my question about one key opens both/. During PDI, dealer guy said peel this sticker off on interior door handle and stick on owners manual. It is Door key code.. Sure enough starts with G *** Thanks for the answer. Hum maybe the Ghosts are up to their tricks again!!! Might add she did this with that gosh awful nasty rain that has been reeking havac in out state..

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
2017 Keystone Hideout 177LHS Carlisle Radial HDs
:
CrazyCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 05:11 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

We have a spare key "stashed" away in our trailer. It's in one of those magnetic key holders (like an old cartridge fuse box) and put where "only we know how to find it".... It's been used more than once, and always is a welcome addition. Locks aren't supposed to lock without a key, but we've found ourselves in the same predicament as your DW, once during a "howling rainstorm" in the UP in November. We were about 15 miles from nowhere with no cell service, a locked truck and the truck keys inside the trailer. It would have been break a window, walk out to the highway or get the key and we're in the trailer...... Sure am happy someone invented magnets and made a "secret key holder".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 05-03-2017, 06:02 AM   #12
NorskeBob

[QUOTE=CrazyCain;235938]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
If you consider doing this, don't forget that the "M" (master) key will only work the upper lockset. It will not operate the deadbolt. None of the FIC or Global locks will work both locks with the master. So, if you want to be able to lock/unlock both locks on the entry door, you'll need a key with the specific number that's reflected inside the lock, usually on the inside of the interior pull handle "faceplate".[/QUOTE

John, DW locked her self out of the Trailer this weekend, (not sure how that happened becasue she claims door was unlocked when she closed it)and I was 2.5 hrs away from rescueing her. So, thinking time to get an extra key made and hide it somewhere. Searched door locks and found your post that answered my question about one key opens both/. During PDI, dealer guy said peel this sticker off on interior door handle and stick on owners manual. It is Door key code.. Sure enough starts with G *** Thanks for the answer. Hum maybe the Ghosts are up to their tricks again!!! Might add she did this with that gosh awful nasty rain that has been reeking havac in out state..
X2! - always keep a spare set handy.

RV - 2017 Avalanche 320RS
TV - 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4
NorskeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 01:40 PM   #13
B-O-B'03

We received 2 sets of keys for the trailer, when we bought it.

1 set lives in the glove box of the truck and the other is in the key dish at the house, when we are home, my pocket or the key dish in the camper when we are camping.

-Brian
Old 04-30-2017, 05:11 PM   #14
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonedude View Post
The exterior door lock has an "M". what keys do I need?
Lets assume something here. Your front door on your rig has two locks, one on the handle and one on the dead bolt. When you buy a set of locks for your door you will get two lock cylinders both coded for the same key you received with the two cylinders. that key will open both locks. Now one of those cylinders will have a "M" stamped next to the key hole. That cylinder can be opened by two keys the one received with the two cylinders and a master key provided to dealers. The other cylinder (no "M") can only be unlocked with the key provided with the cylinders.

OKAY now the cylinder with the "M" goes in the pull handle of the door. The other goes in the door deadbolt.

Therefore the lock in the pull handle can be opened by your key or the Dealer Master Key. The lock in the dead bolt can only be unlocked with the appropriate key coded for that lock

ADDED: Key codes are stamped on the outside of the cylinder
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 03:39 AM   #15
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

If you get locked out with the deadbolt you definitely have problems with ghosts!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 05:24 AM   #16
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
If you get locked out with the deadbolt you definitely have problems with ghosts!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Yeap, they will be locked in there until you get the second key

Reason why dealers say to lock only the pull handle when you drop unit off. Just think you drop off rig, then wait say 2-3 weeks to get into a bay, then get a call that they can not get into your rig
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 12:21 PM   #17
CrazyCain

The story goes like this, I left early (5:30am) in the morning, DW and little dog (LD) sleeping away, think the LD was the one snoring...anyway, i locked both locks outside when I left to keep strangers out and the ghosts in.. DW had to take LD out to do his business, she said she flipped red lever once and the door opened. HUM, when i got there to open the door, BOTH locks were locked...Holy playing ghostly games batman....Now how did that happen??????? OH, good thing the park office was open because she forgot her cell phone in the trailer also...

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
:
Old 05-01-2017, 12:28 PM   #18
chuckster57
Site Team

replacement keys

When you locked the deadbolt did you turn the key and then pull it out (horizontal) ? If so then you've been playing with the ghosts.

If your locks are FIC, there is a recall. Seems the key will turn and you can remove it but the cylinder "locks" in that position. Easy to look up, they send two new cylinders with 2 keys and a key to change the cylinders.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 05-02-2017, 05:30 PM   #19
CrazyCain

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
When you locked the deadbolt did you turn the key and then pull it out (horizontal) ? If so then you've been playing with the ghosts.

If your locks are FIC, there is a recall. Seems the key will turn and you can remove it but the cylinder "locks" in that position. Easy to look up, they send two new cylinders with 2 keys and a key to change the cylinders.

Chuck, this is how the key holes look when i lock it from the outside. Ignore the tooth pick stuck in the handle, someone was messing with me.. and the picture odf the handle came out sides ways..... boooo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170421_095301.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	12468  

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
:
Old 05-02-2017, 05:32 PM   #20
chuckster57
Site Team

Looks good to me!